Snake bites

Discussion in 'Emergency Treatment' started by remnant, Jun 4, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. remnant

remnant Expert Member
      190/230

Blog Posts:
    Snake bites present serious emergencies in different parts of the world especially in the tropics. Personally, I have never been bitten by a snake but news reports and warnings of snake bite cases abound. Do you stock on anti-venom? What specific snake or snakes afflicts people in your area and the first aid administered with respect to the same?

Keith H. likes this.
  2. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Someone on this forum recommended one of the old snake bite kits! These kits should NEVER be used. We have some of the deadliest snakes in the world here in Australia, some more lethal than others, but I would not want to get bitten by any of them close to home or further into the wilderness. Some people have saved themselves from getting bitten by using their hat to fend them off, others a stick. Some Australian farmers used to carry sawn off .410 shotguns for snake protection, but our government made this illegal & confiscated all of these from the farmers. Any handgun that will shoot shot is an advantage.
    The best way to avoid snake bite is to avoid contact with the snakes. Most snakes will shy away from humans if they detect their presence by vibration. The problem is that hunters & nature lovers tend to walk softly so there is less vibration to detect. NEVER step over a fallen tree without knowing what is on the other side! Spring time when it is still chilly the snake can be slow to move out of your way, so this is a time when you should be especially cautious.

FIRST AID: If bitten by a snake it will be useful if you can positively identify the snake. Killing the snake for identification would work, but you are just as likely to get bitten again trying to do this if you do not have a gun.
    Wrap the bitten limb in bandage firmly, starting at the bitten area & working up the limb to the top. Then you come down again wrapping over the previous wrapping & continue to the lower part of the limb. NEVER cut or wash the bitten area! By wrapping the bitten area, small amounts of the venom will be caught on the bandage, this can be used to identify the snake & the anti venom that is needed. It is best if you do NOT move, this of course is a problem, because if you don't move, you can't seek medical assistance. In a shtf situation you will simply have to take your chances anyway, there will be no help.
    ANTI-VENOM: https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn9277-new-antivenom-could-save-more-snakebite-victims/
    http://www.toxinology.com/generic_static_files/cslavh_antivenom_polyvalen.html
    http://www.heyne.com.au/gardencentre/factsheets/factsheet.php/snakes.htm
    Keith.
    [​IMG]
    This is a Red Bellied Black Snake & the one that is most common where we live. Not the most dangerous, but can kill. All snakes here tend to love areas where there is water, but they can also be found in higher dryer areas.

3. cluckeyo

cluckeyo Well-Known Member
      95/140

Blog Posts:
    Our good friend and neighbor who lives down the road from here was working in his garden last year, and was bitten 3 times by a baby rattlesnake (around 12 inches long). He became very ill and almost died. He was in the hospital for 46 days and wound up losing his foot. I don't know if this is true for all snakes, but about rattlesnakes, they say the babies are the most venomous. This is because an adult has more control over the way it uses it's venom and will hold back some when it bites. A baby will unload all it's venom when it bites, as it has less control. Summer is approaching, be careful out there!!

4. Bonzer

Bonzer New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    I'm afraid Keith, what you enlisted as a first-aid measure for a snake bite is contrary to what I've been trained as a First-aider for snake bites. I'm trained by St.John's Ambulance Association and I hold a universal license for First-Aid.

What they taught us is to apply a "Tourniquet" above the knee (if you are bitten on the leg) and cut 2 inches deep at the site of bite in a + Shape. Squeeze out a good amount of blood so that max venom is drained off. The tourniquet could be a hankie with a half-knot with a pen or pencil(or a wooden stick)inserted and wrung, so as to stop the blood flow from reaching to heart. The would has to be dressed to prevent infection and to stop further blood flow.

The patient must be rushed to the nearest hospital for administration of anti-venom. There, they'll show you photographs of different snakes so that the patient may identify the exact snake that bitten him/her.

The tourniquet must be relaxed once every while in order to save the limb from dying. Bandaging, on the other hand, from the site of bite upwards would encourage blood flow and soon the venom would be circulated through the bloodstream, establishing neuro-toxicity.

I never meant to offend you Keith, but this is what we were taught.

Cheers!

Last edited: Jun 16, 2016
  5. thePENofGODx0x0xz7

thePENofGODx0x0xz7 New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    Tim Friede says he has developed a resilience to the venom that is found in the fangs over 100 different snake species. Which is still only a portion of the world's most venomous snakes - in the wake of making himself vulnerable to 100 infusions through needle and bites he believes that he has developed is what he would like to call immunotherapy. He believes that it is a cheap alternative to curing snake bites for those that are brave enough to attempt it.

6. explorerx7

explorerx7 Expert Member
      143/173

Blog Posts:
    I give thanks that they are no harmful or venomous snake in my country. However, I am aware of the dangers of being bitten by venomous snakes. I understand that if a person should be bitten by certain snakes they chances of survival are really slim. Snakes like the black Mamba or Puff Adder to name a few. When a person is bitten by certain snakes, if the anti-venom is not administered in a short period of time then they will die. For some snake bites, however, there may be instances where when one is bitten by some snakes there is a period of time maybe up to 48 hours to apply anti-venom and that person may live sometimes with serious tissue damage, however.

7. ToTang45

ToTang45 Expert Member
      133/173

Blog Posts:
    I live in Australia as well as Keith, though I'm in Tiger Snake and Copperhead country.
    I've been up close and personal to snakes in the past, and believe me, in the days before mobile phones with just you and the snake it's a very scary thing.

In a post-SHTF world I would call a snake bite (particularly from a baby as per the above information from cluckeyo, but to add to that, unlike adults they also don't offer dry bites.) a nearly always death sentence. It's not like your average lay person has the facilities or know-how to make their own antivenin. :(
    Just take precautions, and avoid.

8. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    Well I have been bitten three times by snakes so I have been rather interested in the subject!
    Each time I was saved by highleg boots and thick woolly socks!
    Each time I had holes in my boots and a sock full of venom but no skin penetration.
    I love high boots and thick woolly socks!
    As far as I know in Australia Keiths advise above is correct!
    Cutting and sucking went out with the millennium!
    A few tips!
    Have enough bandages 5-6 should do!
    Have a texta/marker and circle the bite area on the bandage A&E really like that.
    If there will be no hospital keep the limb bandaged for three days or more if you can then release and nurse patient!

Snakes make venom so it is biological in nature and thus will biodegrade once injected! and its lethality also degrades, by restricting the venom to the limb
    for several days by the time the pressure bandage is removed the venom then circulating is less lethal!
    The patient will still get sick and need nursing but should not die!

9. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    I have to admit that I don't know anything about snake bites except for the movies I have seen. As what @Bonzer has posted, that's also what I know although I may not do it in actual situations because I have no experience. That torniquet is to block the flow of the venom in going to the heart while the incision on the portion of the snake bite is to let the blood flow out so the venom will be purged. But then again, I have no experience so I cannot say if it is effective. Another thing that worries me is you wouldn't know if you had totally purged the snake's venom from the body. Just a little venom can still kill the victim.

With anti-venom, there is practically no chance that someone in the trip would have it. Any camper will tell you that anti-venom is only available in RITMs (research institute for tropical medicine).

10. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    Here all our hospitals have on hand or can get it at very short notice!
    Cutting and bleeding/sucking is only feasible in the first few seconds and that is literally a few as in two seconds!
    After that it just don't work ! it is more harm than good!
    Nearly all snake bites are into flesh not blood vessels and it takes time for the venom to leach into the bloodstream!
    Most deaths occur where a main blood vessel is struck and the victim is down in just a minute or two! no coming back from that!
    You cant extract the venom from flesh!