Snare Wire Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Trapping' started by branchd77, Oct 8, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

Tags:
  1. branchd77

branchd77 Administrator Staff Member Gold Supporter
      257/345

Blog Posts:
    What kind of snare wire does everyone use/recommend? Is anyone making their own or is everyone buying it store bought?

2. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I have both, you can use most things including cord, paracord or even a yo-yo fishing reel.

3. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I like 22 gauge wire for small snares and prefer making them. You can buy the snare locks and such small parts as needed and make them specific to your needs. I have wire from stuff for squirrels and rabbits up to aircraft cables for hogs and deer.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
  4. omegaman

omegaman Expert Member
      123/173

Blog Posts:
    I use unspun guitar strings. I don't get the prizier ones like Ernie Ball but the cheaper kinds. They don't have to stay in tune ;)

koolhandlinc likes this.
  5. Bishop

Bishop Master Survivalist
      335/345

Blog Posts:
    1/16 air craft cable

6. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I like the 1/16th for rabbits and such then move up to 1/8th for deer, hogs and such. A lot of people here snare and trap coyotes and they use 3/32nd and then 1/8th for wolves. The little single strand wire is for squirrels, rats and rabbits on a strangle type tension trap with a spring pole. Since you don't use cam locks on them the single strand wire is easier to make snares on the fly and set. We don't have bears but I read that they use even heavier cables for them. In most of my small kits I carry military steel trip wire, brass wire or 22 gauge floral wire. It is small and easy to carry a spool and will do for smaller game in the short term.

7. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I use # 7 strand brass picture hanging wire for small game. Twist two together for predators such as feral cats & fox. Rope or cordage for larger game.
    Keith.

lonewolf and omegaman like this.
  8. koolhandlinc

koolhandlinc Expert Member
      245/345

Blog Posts:
    I have a roll of stranded stainless cable. I am not sure how many feet I have. It was used for marking pipes that are left out door. Use a lead piece and a brass tag. Problem is it must be braided to use. I have braided rope many times but never steel cable.

9. Ystranc

Ystranc Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    In the UK there is a ban on locking snares and twitch up snares mustn't lift the quarry from the ground or cause unnecessary suffering. I use 1/16 stranded brass wire for rabbits. You can double the wire simply by finding the middle of a length and twisting it into one piece, half the length, so you can massively increase its strength while only ever having to bulk buy one gauge of wire

10. arctic bill

arctic bill Master Survivalist
      360/460

Blog Posts:
    i use brass single stand. for rabbits very thin. if something big gets in it can easily break it. I can legally snare rabbits but not biggers stuff without a permit.

11. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:

In my opinion the best snare wire for small game, including rabbit, is 7 strand brass picture hanging wire. I have used it for years on my trap line. I can't possibly see how any other larger animal could get caught in a small game snare, though I did snare a feral cat one time that forced it's head into a rabbit hole :)
    Keith.
    02507fb4b1cc12837a9423c4b5a0037b.jpeg 02507fb4b1cc12837a9423c4b5a0037b.jpeg

12. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    When I speak of things in survival I have absolutely no interest in human laws. Those laws are in general made to decrease the effectiveness of your catch. Study those laws closely and you will learn some of the things that you will want to do if you are ever hunting, trapping or fishing for food that will mean the difference between starving and surviving. Poachers have always been a great source of knowledge and while I have no real respect for what they are doing the knowledge is priceless.

Keith H. likes this.
  13. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Snaring is against the law here in Australia, this came about when the commercial locking snare was introduced. As usual the government being as ignorant & uncaring as it is, they simply banned snares completely. They profess to do this because of their dislike of cruelty to animals, & urged to do so because of animal welfare groups like PETA. This means that 1080 poison is used instead, even by the local councils!!! This 1080 also kills native & domestic animals & they die in agony!!! Pi***s me right off!
    Keith.

14. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Stupidity is forgivable but willful ignorance is a sin that is unforgivable. This is a great example of willful ignorance.

Old Geezer and Keith H. like this.
  15. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Same thing happened after our government were allowed to confiscate all semi-automatic .22 bunny rifles. A lot of young blokes in this area used to make pocket money from fox shooting & selling them to a fur buyer. Now hey don't bother & land owners are expected to bait with 1080. I refused & recieved rebuking phone calls! I still refused & nothing happened. I told them that I trapped instead.
    Keith.

Old Geezer likes this.
  16. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    We have gone crazy stupid about the place that animals have in this world. There is no way that poison is kinder than a trap and worst of all it is a waste of meat. Also poison kills indiscriminately while a trap correctly set is a very specific tool. People, especially GOOD people, don't seem to matter or have many rights anymore.

Most game laws are made by politicians that are mostly woefully ignorant and quite happy staying that way.

Old Geezer and Keith H. like this.
  17. Ystranc

Ystranc Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    Its mainly down to a complete lack of understanding. Unfortunately the people who don't understand the problems of pest control are the uninformed majority and we live in a democracy. (Sometimes I think it's an idiocracy)
    While it's difficult to get through to these people because they're so convinced that they're right and we're wrong, we must try to educate them...ecology is a big and complicated subject that goes well beyond fluffy bunnies and Bamby's mother.

Keith H. likes this.
  18. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Bureaucrats and professors are oft times those blessed by daemons, for they are inadequate to any real purpose in life. Left without make-work, they would have but to hide in the day, to come out at night only to howl at the moon.

19. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    9ba77ec4becb6c637349e812dc303469.jpeg 9ba77ec4becb6c637349e812dc303469.jpeg
    & strand brass picture hanging wire. I also use heavy duty fishing tackle swivels which reduces the chance of the wire twisting.
    Keith.

20. randyt

randyt Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    I've used cable snares with locks, cable snares with relaxing locks, snares with locks and stops. For a home made snare, I've used brass wire, picture hanging wire, but I've settled on s.s. trolling line for homemade snare.

Keith H. and TMT Tactical like this.