Sniper Books

Discussion in 'Books' started by randyt, Aug 12, 2020.

0/5, 0 votes

1. randyt

randyt Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    Been reading a couple books about sniping. The first is Civil War Sniper, it's about Jack Hinson. Jack was a southerner that was neutral. He did own slaves, which if I understand correctly he gave them their freedom and his farm. He played hell on the union, pretty much only targeted officers. He had a grudge, his kids were killed by union soldiers while out squirrel hunting. He was also a scout for Nathan Forrest at times. He was a older fella for the times, knocking on the door of 60 year old.

The other book is called Fry the Brain. It's basically a study on "unorganized" sniping. It goes over the IRA snipers, Chechyen snipers, some domestic snipers like the tower sniper in Texas and the dc snipers. There are others as well.

Both are great books

TMT Tactical likes this.
  2. Snyper

Snyper Master Survivalist
      330/345

Blog Posts:
  3. wally

wally Master Survivalist
      280/345

Blog Posts:
    don't have any books on the subject but i use to have a sniper bumper sticker that said: if you run you'll only die tired :)

TMT Tactical and randyt like this.
  4. watcherchris

watcherchris Legendary Survivalist
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    Randy T...that sounds like a very interesting book and I was not aware of it's existence..about Jack Hinson.

Thank you for awakening me to it. I will be reading it in due time.

Thanks again for the wake up call.

Watcherchris
    Not an Ishmaelite.

5. randyt

randyt Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    I may have goofed on the title, it's called Battlefield Sniper by Tom Mckenney. It may be a older book with a newer title.

watcherchris and TMT Tactical like this.
  6. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Snipers are a terror to military units. they make a kill and then move on. They are icr3dably hard to find catch and kill. Often the only thing that can be done about them is to sick your own snipe or specialized sniper hunter on them. that would be the problem that would face a ground assault on the USA. While only trained people can make good soldiers we have hundreds of thousands of Hunters that think nothing of placing 300 to 500 yards shots on deer or antelope and that kind of thing translates easily to making of a sniper.

Soldiers are great at attacking places and people but it doesn't take that much training to hide and fire from protected places to defend a place. I bet half the homes in Texas have rifles capable of making 300 yard kills with little effort. I used to have a Winchester Model 70 in 270 with 3X( Leopold that I could make kill shots out to 350 yards into playing cards that I stapled to trees when I was sighting in my stand. those cards later were my range finders for any deer that showed up out to 400 yards.

I say this and yet will admit that I am far from the best rifle shooter that I know. I was much better with pistols and shot 300-yard silhouette with a Ruger Blackhawk that had open sights. The Texas militia might not be able to win set military-style battles but the cost to take a place that is bigger than the nations in Europe with millions of well-armed hunters behind every tree would be horrible.

At 300 yards I will put a man with a deer rifle up against several soldiers armed with assault rifles. Unless the hunter is incompetent every time he pulls the trigger a man will go down. They might not be immediately dead but they will no longer be a threat to the hunter. The damage from a 150 grain hollow or soft pointed bullet is totally different from a wound from a 5.56 FMJ bullet. Any FMJ bullet only offers limited damage compared with a hunting round that has been carefully designed to KILL.

Old Geezer, randyt and TMT Tactical like this.
  7. Dalewick

Dalewick Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    The hardest part of sniper school isn't shooting. You can teach anyone (almost) how to make long range shots consistently. Camouflage, concealment and stalking are where most school attendees fail. Learning accurate range estimation, wind, gravity, air temperature, humidity (air density), ballistics, angels and even the spin of the earth for extreme range shots (coriolis effect) are all part of sniper training. The course I attended had me be able to make a certain number of shots on stationary targets out to 1000 meters with the M21 system and shots out to 800 meters on a moving target (5 mph horizontally). Modern sniping rounds are not FMJ but are specially designed HPBT (Hollow point boat tailed) match grade rounds, often referred to as open tip to prevent problems with treaties. Anyone interested in such ammo should look for M118LR 175GR rounds.

Dale

If you want to learn how to be a sniper, learn to camouflage yourself and stalk to within 100 - 200 meters from several people trying to spot you with binoculars. Few snipers take shots from the prone so practice on getting up into a shooting stance without being seen.

watcherchris, randyt and TMT Tactical like this.
  8. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    When it hits the fan, it will be necessary for suburbanites to make shots at distance. They don't think about it, but it's just unfortunately true. Intellectually, people realize that they are going to have to engage the savage hordes "out there", yet in their mind's eye they see the enemy at their doorstep. Most lower-order people are not particularly brave at all. Drop a half-dozen, a dozen, and they scatter. These folk make just the worst soldiers.

That said, I've seen on videotapes gang-bangers shoot their way straight into the middle of an engagement. They weren't smart about their tactics, yet they did continue forward. I saw it. I watch videos for intel on what it is we civilized must do to push them back / wipe them out.

Gangs in Mexico are getting war materials out of Central America. Won't be long before we see this sort of weaponry here in the USA. In Southern California, Hispanic gangs have been pushing African-Americans out of their neighborhoods for a number of years now. Mass immigration of Hispanics cannot occur unless housing is freed-up. The Southern Poverty Law Center sure was upset about the firebombing of the homes of black folk about 5 yrs back (convictions of Hispanic gang leaders were actually achieved). MS-13 and Avenue are now establishing a foothold in S.California -- this crew has among them combat veterans who are training a younger generation. Bloods and Crips fear these face-tattooed monsters, for their murdering sprees are mind-numbing even when witnessed by the damned.

Sweden is now getting hand-grenade attacks and shootouts with immigrants armed with fully automatic weapons. There are now well-established arms trade routes out of the Balkans. These weapons and ammunition exist in unlimited numbers.

What can be done with such monsters? There are two methodologies that must be used in unison: 1) Hi-capacity semi-autos plus plenty of ammo/extra magazines must be used when invaders get in too close; 2) They must be engaged at distance; leaders must be identified and dropped right then and there. No matter how young they are they must all be destroyed or forced back to their home countries.

wally, randyt and TMT Tactical like this.
  9. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Have tried Sierra 168 grain and 190 grain boat tailed match bullets in a heavy barreled 1903 Springfield bolt action.... 30.06.

They were very accurate...

I even weighed them out of curiosity...and the tolerances in weight are very consistent..compared to standard factory fodder.

This compared to the variation in weight found in a box of 200 grain .358 diameter bullets for a .35 Remington Reload.

Big difference in weight variation.

Modified my fourth Xiegu G90 ham radio...and also attached the cooling fan kit to it.

This radio will be put in an ammo can...wrapped in foil....and so too the hand microphone.

A second radio already pre modified will be done the same.

These radios are emergency back ups

Also placed in another ammo can will be rolled up dipole wire antennas and power supplies...for the same radios.

Have also picked up a Cold Steel Viking battle axe....

To my surprise it comes already pretty sharp out of the box....but will be taking my diamond hone to it.

Also will be picking up a blade cover for this tool. It is not a toy.

This Axe will be loosely mounted on a plaque...in my radio room/man cave....next to my hand and a half English broadsword....as well as near my Assegai short shaft spear....none of which are toys...

Watcherchris
    Not an Ishmaelite.

randyt, Dalewick and TMT Tactical like this.
  10. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Randy T,

Have received the book....Jack Hinson's One-Man War and begun reading it this morning to coffee and breakfast..

Have put two of the Xiegu G 90 HF radios into tin foil along with the microphones and power cords.

The foiled Radios have also been put into a heavy duty plastic bag....taped up and then put each into an ammo can..

Need to take them out to my garage wherein I keep my silicon O ring grease to put on the gaskets.

Will be working on my long wire Loop HF antenna this weekend from where it came down in the recent storm..Weather allowing...raining here today.

Watcherchris
    Not an Ishmaelite.