Solar Cooker

Discussion in 'Finding, Identifying, and Preparing Food' started by joshposh, Jun 13, 2016.

Solar Cooker 5 5 1votes
5/5, 1 vote

1. joshposh

joshposh Master Survivalist
      260/345

Blog Posts:
    I use to go to the beach a lot before my work load was taking up too much of my time. I didn't have to time for anything else. But it did get me thinking about using solar rays to cook out in the wild. If there was no immediate fire you could always cook by these means. In a few of these videos you can clearly see that it heats up and cooks anything in no time.

In a survival situation, it would work.

2. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    I agree that in a survival situation, you can try anything whether it works well or not. I have seen a demo of that solar cooker in a local tv documentary. However, it cannot replace a real cooker since the cooking is just like heating the food or whatever is inside the cooker. And what about if there is no sun? Pardon me for my negativity, this is not to put this thread down but just to elicit ideas on how to better use that solar cooker.

By the way, the solar charger for cellphone is getting to be in fashion here because it is cheap. So even if it doesn't function very well, the younger generation is making use of it as an accessory to add class.

3. thePENofGODx0x0xz7

thePENofGODx0x0xz7 New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    That has to be one of the best ways to cook that I have ever seen.
    I'm not sure but I think that the nutrients wouldn't be killed as much in this method of cooking as it would when cooked by other methods.

ZoeZoundBarrier likes this.
  4. evergreen

evergreen Member
      13/23

Blog Posts:
    I'm interested in this actually, especially if electricity is out. However, I agree with the idea that this wouldn't be a sole solution if the sun isn't out or available. Would it come with some type of battery/recharge for use at night? Right now I'm under the impression this would only be useful during daytime hours. What about cloud cover, or twilight hours?

5. HealthandVitality

HealthandVitality New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    I still feel that the best way of survival in a time of crisis if you forgot to take your solar cooker with you or it was somewhere where you could not reach, making a simple fire by using two stones is the simplest and the best way. Our ancestors survived in the most extreme conditions. If you had no match sticks or solar cookers, am sure the brain will kick in and say that there's another alternative.

6. chelsknits

chelsknits New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    Very interesting! I've heard of cooking frozen pizzas outside on a summer day by covering cardboard boxes in tinfoil and making something almost like the second video. I've also heard of cooking cookies on a sheet pan placed on the dashboard of your car in the summer though obviously that isn't likely to help you in a survival situation. It's really amazing to see how powerful the sun can be when it comes to cooking things. My only concern with using it as a means of survival is how long things take to cook when they're being cooked just by the sun. Plus you would need to worry about cooking enough food so you'd have something to eat when the sun started to go down and wasn't strong enough to cook with.

7. My3Sons_NJ

My3Sons_NJ New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    The solar cooker mentioned will work well in summer south of 38N (in the Northern Hemisphere) but is impractical in the other months simply because the sun angle is simply not strong enough in mid/late fall, winter and early spring in the temperate regions. It is a nice tool to have for your comprehensive survival kit as a change of pace but fire would be my cooking method of choice.

8. joshposh

260/345

Blog Posts:
    You didn't watch the first video. That pan got real hot and began frying the patties like a normal stove.

9. joshposh

260/345

Blog Posts:
    Nothing will replace a fire . This is a simple alternative, especially when you can't make a fire for some reason. If I had a homestead and with no electricity, the wood is wet, I'll use the solar heater in the daytime. It can be a solution when the problem presents itself.

10. ZoeZoundBarrier

ZoeZoundBarrier Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    Supposedly solar energy is the longest wavelength when it comes to heat and is a lot less harmful to food. Aside from taking 30 minutes to fry up an egg, it is pretty convenient as well.

11. neoKit

neoKit New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    You can't rely on a solar cooker during cold seasons. It can help whenever there is sunshine. Solar cookers are good for survival since you'll not need fuel or electricity to cook your food. I don't think that they can be expensive and I hope that one can easily buy them online.

12. cluckeyo

cluckeyo Well-Known Member
      95/140

Blog Posts:
    I'm gonna have to try these. They should work great in Texas. And is really heating up about now. I'd like to try to make a cake by placing my covered dish inside of a dutch oven and heating the dutch oven with coals. I have it worked out in my mind but never tried it yet. The solar cooker might work great for that too.

13. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I view cooking a lot like making fires. The more ways you have of doing it the better off you will be in the long run. I love a bic lighter when I'm starting a fire but I nonetheless also carry wind and waterproof matches, a magnesium/ferocerium rod, magnifying lens and strike anywhere matches in my bug out kit. I've done pretty much the same for my cooking needs and have a bunch of different stoves that use all kinds of fuels and to me this is just another option. In a long term survival situation wood can get scarce really fast. I have seen pictures of the town that I live near from the late 1800s. Now days it is a heavily forested town with lots of older beautiful trees. In 1890 you could see from one side of town to the other. People are lazy and will burn what is easy to get until there is none left. I live in South East Texas and during the summer why wouldn't I want to save my wood? It also doesn't put up a smoke signal to people where you are and that you are cooking. Now, don't get me wrong; I wouldn't trade my wood burning stove or big Eco Zoom rocket stove for this but it will make a nice addition to what I've already got.

14. Rere

Rere New Member
      8/25

Blog Posts:
    That has to be one of the best ways to cook that I have ever seen.
    I'm not sure but I think that the nutrients wouldn't be killed as much in this method of cooking as it would when cooked by other methods.

15. overcast

overcast Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    I think there are some ready made solar cooker appliances. I came across of the solar toaster. It may not be quick. But solar cookers are known for good slow cooking recipes. And if you have like lot of sunlight then sure this can be definitely handy in that case.