Solar Panels Or Turbines

Discussion in 'General Q&A' started by bleeding heart, Nov 26, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. bleeding heart

bleeding heart Expert Member
      123/115

Blog Posts:
    Which option will be the most efficient and easiest to maintain? From a layman's perspective it seems like a turbine would be my best option. But if so, should it be water or wind? Which is more dependable? Or is there another alternative I should consider? My funds aren't limitless, but this is somewhere that I am willing to spend a little more if need be.

2. Kootenay prepper

Kootenay prepper Expert Member
      227/230

Blog Posts:
    All depends on your location. How much wind you get or if you have a area that gets enough sunlight to sustain a solar farm.

3. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Personally we went with solar, no moving parts to wear out. We have often thought of having a small wind generator for overcast days, but the need has never arisen. We have 12 two volt batteries making 24 volts DC, this is converted to 240 volts AC & runs the whole house & the outside laundry. We changed the batteries from lead acid to gel after 11 years. These gel batteries hold the power even better.
    Keith.
    PJ84XkgGxgJH40_TzOixBvghwdN0dWT3.jpeg
    _0zUubCie5KqVKXsVpXL76f4mp4kWXi6.jpeg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 27, 2018
    Kootenay prepper likes this.
  4. Kootenay prepper

227/230

Blog Posts:
    That looks like a nice setup

Keith H. likes this.
  5. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Thank you. I put the panels on the power shed so we can clear the snow off in winter, can't do that with safety on the house roof.
    Keith.

6. Kootenay prepper

227/230

Blog Posts:
    I was planning on setting up a system on the house roof but might rethink what building I put them on for that reason.

Keith H. likes this.
  7. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    This power shed was constructed especially for our solar power. Everything is contained in this shed. We have a back-up generator, but have not had to use it yet except when we used it to power the cement mixer. We could probably have just run it off the solar, but it was running for a long time whilst we did the cementing & I did not want to use the solar.
    Keith.
    4d5f55a33c190a6c9cb6647a35b1cb7b.jpeg When the generator is running, it powers the house & charges the batteries at the same time, you can see the large battery charger behind the generator. We would only do this if we had a run of overcast days & needed to charge the batteries, but since we got these gel batteries we have not had any power drop even after 6 days continuous overcast & rain.

Kootenay prepper likes this.
  8. Kootenay prepper

227/230

Blog Posts:
    I think I will end up building a power house then can design it exactly for what I need

Keith H. likes this.
  9. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Great!

I do so hope you have a magazine of Enfields and few hundred lb. of .303 ammo.

10. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    both solar panels and wind turbines are too technical for me, i'm going for a simple life post SHTF, i'll get up just before dawn and go to bed when its too dark to do anything. I've done it before and will do it again post SHTF.

Keith H. likes this.
  11. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    That is pretty much what I used to do, but after dark I would spend some time outside watching the night sky. That is when I first spotted Alien craft as opposed to just UFOs. I still find them fascinating to watch.
    Keith.

12. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Takes quite a lot of sunlight hours per day to justify solar panels.

Wind turbines generate more energy ... however, you are best served if you live where there is a constant supply of wind, such as the Outer Banks of North Carolina.

In the future, ocean current energy will be tapped. Ingoing and outgoing tides currently are tapped but not on a scale that should be seen.

13. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    there is plenty of wind in the South West of England but sometimes there is too much of it and the turbines have to be switched off!!!

14. bleeding heart

bleeding heart Expert Member
      123/115

Blog Posts:
    I'm in Western Kentucky. We have more sun than wind, really. I'm in this alone at the moment, so being able to maintain the system is of particular concern. I really like that solar panel set up, though.

Keith H. likes this.
  15. StjepantheGrizzly

StjepantheGrizzly New Member
      1/29

Blog Posts:
    It depends on your location,weather gear that you want buy and so on...
    Using both would probably be best solution

16. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I'm thinking about a limited use of solar power. All that I really want is to be able to charge batteries and run a few low voltage LED lights. I like the night but want to be able to read and candles are not replaceable nor is kerosene. LEDs and rechargeable batteries will last a long time. This will also allow me to access my stored computer stuff. I don't think this will be a very big deal.

We get a lot of sunshine here year around and don't have snow. The spring with the pine pollen will probably require cleanings though. We don't have consistent wind in the woods so that isn't an option.

From what little I know about it turbines wear out faster than the latest solar panels and would require so specialized knowledge to repair if they go down. Moving parts wear out and most also require regular maintenance.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2018
    Keith H. likes this.
  17. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    electricity is not in my plans post collapse, I don't have the space for turbines or solar panels or the storage for the batteries, I also don't have the knowledge.
    my plans are for a simple lifestyle much like I imagine it was 100 years ago when nobody had electricity in their houses in Britain.

18. Ystranc

Ystranc Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    It may be worth gambolling on waiting for a little while as the prices of solar photovoltaic panels and deep cycle batteries are likely to come down as competition increases between manufacturers.
    Whichever you choose Bleeding heart, please let us know how you get on.

19. Ken S LaTrans

Ken S LaTrans Active Member
      48/58

Blog Posts:
    I am in southern Arizona. We have an abundance of sunshine, so I went with solar on the roof of my house and pole barn and plan to increase it by another free standing solar array in the fall. My home is on 100 acres between two small mountain cuts where the wind is also accelerated for much of the day and I have three turbine kits that I need to assemble and place. I have poured the concrete pads...I just need to finish...which is also a fall project. Doing it in 110f heat is not my idea of fun. If you can do/afford both, by all means do it. Having redundancy is important.