Some tips to escape drowning

Discussion in 'Safety' started by remnant, May 28, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. remnant

remnant Expert Member
      190/230

Blog Posts:
    Drowning is one of the most painful and terrifying deaths one can face. When in a swimming pool, avoid the deep end if you are a novice. If you venture into larger water bodies or the deep seas and you are swept away by the current, the worst thing to do is to panic as you will flail your hands aimlessly resulting in exhaustion; always carry a life jacket; learn water treading. It could save your life anyday; don't swim at night. Last but not least, swim in the company or within range of a lifeguard and in the company of others so that you can keep an eye on each other in case of an emergency.

BeautifullyBree likes this.
  2. Destiny

Destiny Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    Also, parents with young children should be aware of dry and secondary drowning. It happens when they inhale water and effects can start hours later. Parents have woken up to find their child had passed over night after swimming.

3. Lakeisha Brown

Lakeisha Brown New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    Destiny, I had no idea that children can suffer from what is called dry drowning. I have a 1 year old that I take to the pool and thanks to you I will make sure I keep a good eye on him even after we leave the pool. Thanks!

4. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    We are habitues of beach resorts and swimming pool. And our primary concern in those places is safety. It's not good to be enjoying recklessly for accidents can happen. Drowning is the most common of accidents and it is usually fatal so at all costs, drowning should be avoided.

Our first rule is not to swim alone whether in the pool or beach. Being alone in those places courts danger because you cannot predict that attack of cramps. And when that happens, you can be sort of paralyzed, couldn't move, that could cause you to drown. If you have company then that's not much of a danger. And yes, the lifeguard should always be in sight for he is the best person to save you from drowning. Especially with children, they should never be allowed to swim alone at any time.

But aside from drowning, there are other accidents that you should avoid when going swimming. In the beach, beware of the jellyfish which can sting you to death. That also goes with shells having sharp edges. In the swimming pool, avoid diving for it can cause head contusion when you miss your target. So playing rough in the pool is not recommended.

5. barbecueIt

barbecueIt New Member
      1/23

Blog Posts:
    For people like me who panics every time my toes can't touch the bottom, learning how to float on you back is really helpful and slowly swim back to the shore. Given that the current is not that strong.

6. filmjunkie08

filmjunkie08 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    I know how to swim, but I also keep an awareness of what makes me feel uncomfortable or nervous. I try to use those feelings to help keep me safe when in the water. I also try to keep in my mind something I learned when I took swimming lessons in 5th grade. And that is if I become tired or panicky in the water, always allow myself to float. When floating on your back, your nose and eyes will always be above the water; you will never drown when floating.

7. lexinonomous

lexinonomous Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    Drowning is one of my worst fears. Sometimes I will forget about the possibility of drowning while swimming in the ocean. All it takes is me getting swept into the current to make me realize how easily the ocean could take my life. I can't imagine what it's like to drown to death. These tips are wonderful things to think about. I'd want to do everything in my power to avoid drowning. One of the most common mistakes I see people make is swimming much too far into the ocean and panicking. I have seen people make it back to shore safely, but experience exhaustion trying to make their way back in. People seem to think they are invincible.

8. BeautifullyBree

BeautifullyBree Active Member
      43/47

Blog Posts:
    I've always heard "doggy paddling" is a big life saver. I'm not sure how accurate that is. I'm also curious if you could float? Like laying on your back and floating like we always did as kids? Anyone have any idea if that would work at all?

9. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    stay out of the water!! I nearly drowned when I was 12 and the only water I go in now is the shower.
    only last week someone was washed out to sea and the body has never been found.
    people come down from the midlands, they have never been to the sea before and they don't even know the tide goes in and out!

10. Lisa

Lisa Active Member
      43/47

Blog Posts:
    I live in a loop of the River Severn and a couple of days ago there were pictures up on Facebook showing these kids jumping off a bridge and into the river, it's used to a be thing that people did years ago in the summer round here but obviously it stopped being a tradition when people realised how dangerous it was. We have quite a lot of drownings in my town, I think some people don't fully understand and respect the strength of the river.

11. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    its called "tomb stoning" and I think the name alone would explain the results of such actions. still you cant tell people these days, they don't listen, well, its their lookout.

12. Lisa

Lisa Active Member
      43/47

Blog Posts:
    I didn't know it was called that, it's pretty apt. These lads only looked about 12 or 13 and they were doing it from a bridge that is close to the weir which is where most people lose their lives if they go into the river here because it's so fast and strong. I think parents need to really educate their kids about the risks of doing things that like, especially if they live in an area where there is a very dangerous water source.

13. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I used to see it all the time when I lived near the coast, its also done in old flooded quarries and many people have come to grief.

14. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    Drowning is painless but scary!
    It is also generally silent, someone can drown just behind you and if you don't see it you won't know!
    Most drownings are either very young ones or scared inexperienced ones!
    I have been swept out to sea three times and dragged out twice!
    I was a confident swimmer and not prone to panic!
    I was also between 9yo and 14yo at the times.
    First time I had a fishing rod and bucket of fish and I was over a km from my start point when I dragged myself ashore
    With rod and bucket of fish intact!
    Trick is not to PANIC and calmly swim! not fast so you exhaust yourself but as fast as you can handle for a long time!

15. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Expert Member
      146/173

Blog Posts:
    Great tips, when I first started surviving I didn't know how to swim, I was pretty much dead if it ever came to that. I managed to learn how to tread water and float in high water where I was able to touch the ground with my feet. You need to practice swimming a lot though, fighting against the current is really hard even for the experienced swimmers, you need a lot of force and skill.

16. Toast

Toast New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    Well, I think the best thing you can do to avoid drowning, is being around other people. There's many reasons you can drown, so you can't rely on yourself for just being a good swimmer. If you have to swim, and are unable to have other people around, it's always good to wear like a life jacket. I think wearing a life jacket every-time you have to swim is just optimal. It makes it almost certain you can't drown, and then you'll be fine no matter what.

17. iseeyou

iseeyou Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    That's such a scary situation, as long as you can swim, you have higher chance of surviving, just trust yourself and believe that you can get out of that nightmare. Staying calm is really important, if you panic, you'll quickly go out of breathe and that's not a good idea if you're in the water with your life already hanging by a thread.

18. Coputere

Coputere New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    The Funny thing is that I heard drowning was actually one of the most peaceful ways that someone can go. I am not saying that there isn't some type of pan but besides the fear aspect, I read that a meditative type peace comes over a person once their lungs have been filled up with water. I could be wrong/

19. joshposh

joshposh Master Survivalist
      260/345

Blog Posts:
    How do you escape from drowning? Or do you mean here are some tips on how to avoid drowning? How does anyone know that drowning is the most painful of deaths?

You want to know how to avoid drowning? Learn how to swim. Learn how to tread and float on your back in water. And the most important part of all is............is watching for sea conditions. Don't be an idiot and jump on the water when the waters are rough and you are a novice swimmer, and have no clue as to the under tows that may be present but out of sight.

20. Vinaya

Vinaya Expert Member
      143/173

Blog Posts:
    The most important tips anyone can give you avoid drowning is to learn swimming. I don't know how to swim, this if I am in drowning condition, unless someone comes to rescue me, there is no survival chance for me. People who don't know how to swim must never go near river or lake alone, if they go alone, they should carry life jacket or tube.

lonewolf likes this.
  21. zeedollar

zeedollar New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    When faced with such situation, you should never struggle as you will just be worsening your situation. Just keep still and continually flap your legs gently under water to stay afloat. I once saw a 1 year old do that on social media and it was amazing what survival skills he had already learnt at such age. Learn how to swim sure does help because yiu just never know.

22. Huggy212

Huggy212 New Member
      3/29

Blog Posts:
    I am working on a cruiseship and believe me or not more than half of our guests don't know how to swim. Some crewmembers around 3 out of 10 do not also know how to swim. So how to survive drowning? Everyman can be a victim of drowning, learning how to swim is just a plus of how can u survive it.

The first thing is to never place yourself in a situation where you will get drown. Like if you do not know how to swim, never jump in a very deep water without a life vests. If your in the water for leisure as far as possible do not swim alone. Do not also swim very far from other people and from the shore. Always look for anything that is floating that might help you.

Lastly, if you panicked you will strain yourself you will vigorously move, you will drown.
    DO NOT PANIC!!

23. m33kuh

m33kuh Active Member
      41/58

Blog Posts:
    The only thing that I can think of when it comes to drowning is to stay relax and calm. Although that is nearly impossible, but that is one of the key factors in order for you to float and keep breathing. But since you are already in panic mode, you can't really control and your muscles won't be relaxed making you more likely to sink or drown.