Someday Steam

Discussion in 'Efficient Living' started by randyt, Nov 20, 2019.

0/5, 0 votes

1. randyt

randyt Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    so much to do, so little time, so little energy.

I grew up around steam power and have more than a casual interest. Have a fair amount of steam "junk" laying around he barns.

I have this little locomobile steam engine my granddad picked up for 50 bucks years ago. Also there is a vertical steam boiler. I've been hanging on to this stuff for years thinking someday I'll do something with it. Time and energy is my biggest challenge. After work I'm whipped and I work 7 days a week much of the time.

here's a couple photos

ef2d6cfc66caf56cf3f6ec64bc0c4a9e.jpeg

ef2d6cfc66caf56cf3f6ec64bc0c4a9e.jpeg

howler, varuna, poltiregist and 2 others like this.
  2. Sourdough

Sourdough "eleutheromaniac"
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    I find that "Work" greatly interferes with my life, especially wondering around the wilderness.

3. poltiregist

poltiregist Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    At one time I was looking at building a steam powered truck for after the S.H.T.F. period . after careful consideration in such an event my need to travel didn't warrant the risk of someone shooting me off my steam truck . However I am still intrigued over the idea . I know a guy that said his dad once had such a vehicle . Randyt , it looks like your boiler may be about the right size for a truck steam engine .

randyt and TMT Tactical like this.
  4. poltiregist

poltiregist Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    I suppose you could take your small scaled down steam engine to a well equipped machine shop and have a large model made that would be compatible with your boiler . Auto engine parts might could be used for some of the components . Someone in my financial range would consider this a bit expensive but such a engine would be priceless in TEOTWAWKI .

randyt and TMT Tactical like this.
  5. randyt

randyt Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    that little locomobile engine is not a whimpy little engine, it will put out quite a bit of power.Enough to run a automobile.

but this engine is big enough to run a sawmill we ran our planers with it.

245cfe181ba88dd8eed5b45a95397987.jpeg

TMT Tactical likes this.