New Member Sourdough

Discussion in 'New Member Introduction' started by Sourdough, Aug 14, 2019.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Sourdough

Sourdough "eleutheromaniac"
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    . A “Sourdough” is an old time Alaskan – someone who has learned the ways of this beautiful and at times harsh land. The name comes from the fact the the first trappers and then miners would carry sourdough starters against their bodies wherever they went. Keeping the delicate culture alive in the harsh winter landscapes. New comers to the state are referred to as “cheechakos” denoting someone green behind the years who has much to learn about navigating the harsh winters and customs of Alaska.

Alaska Terms To Know and Love

• Outside – any travel out of the State – and it does have a capital O.
    • Lower 48 – referring to the contiguous 48 United States – you know the ones that are actually on a map of the U.S. as opposed to dangling somewhere out in the middle of the Pacific Ocean next to the other step-child state of Hawaii.
    • Break-up – refers to the season before the snow melts, but the frost line still exists just below the surface. It is a muddy, mucky time of year as the snow melt finds its easiest purchase creating epic mud puddles on its path to the rivers. Trails become inaccessable and dogs become caked in mud. The ground is literally “breaking up” and Alaskans are eager for the drying out to begin to get back on the trails.
    • Arctic Entry – that special little room between the outside door and actually coming inside the house where either snowy or muddy footwear can be deposited, and coats and other outerwear can also be stored. A very useful room in Alaska it saves on heating and keeps floors cleaner and snow-puddle free.
    • “Please remove your shoes at the door” – This is a sign that can be seen at the arctic entries of many houses. Pavement, and clean surfaces are becoming more common as Alaska grows, but most times the surfaces are dirt and gravel and shoes are too dirty to travel past the front door.
    • Cabin Fever – the time of winter when the four walls of the house might feel like they are squeezing in a bit too tight on one from all the time spent inside. This period can hit anytime in the winter, but many festive activities were started years ago in January and February as a way to get folks out and relieve the “cabin fever.”
    • Bug Dope – or more commonly know as mosquito repellant.
    • The Bush – villages in outlying areas of Alaska that are not accessible by road, and often can only be reached by a small “bush” plane.
    • The Valley – the area around Wasilla and Palmer, just north of Anchorage, the fastest growing location in the State.
    • Dip-netting – the sport for Alaska residents that consists of a huge fishing net that one holds in Cook Inlet, the Kenai, Kasilof or Copper Rivers to take home the favorite red or sockeye salmon.
    Stolen from: http://hatcherpassbb.com/news/cheechako-sourdough-and-other-alaskan-terms/

2. Morgan101

Morgan101 Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Welcome to the forum Sourdough. You sneaky devil; we will call you the forum member formerly known as IBME. I have a question about the term cheechako. I have heard the definition as you accurately describe it. If memory serves a cheechako was a newcomer who had not yet lived through an Alaska winter. The more colloquial definition I have heard is a cheechako was a person who ignored sound advice, and had to make mistakes all on his own before he learned anything. No matter what you told him he ignored it. Is this true?

It takes me back to a quote from Will Rogers, and it is one of my favorites. " There are three types of men in the world. One type will learn from reading books. Another will learn by watching others. The third have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."

Not much doubt which category the cheechako would be in.

Welcome aboard. Good to have you with us.

3. Sonofliberty

Sonofliberty Master Survivalist
      407/460

Blog Posts:
    I always liked Will Rogers, but some of us can learn from books and others while sometimes peeing on the fence anyway just to make sure we aren't being lied to.

4. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good afternoon Sourdough,

Another Alaskan term ...... P.F.D. not like here in coastal Virginia where it stands for Personal Flotation Device; a life vest to float in water...... not sure of the initials but there's that Personal Fund Dividend. Alaskan citizens get a check from the oil revenue.

Another Alaskan term: there are competitors to this down here in the lower 48 but will type just for practice; The Alaskan Native Corporation. This is a business vehicle to do all sorts of things with.

5. Morgan101

Morgan101 Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    You make a good point, but I think I would rather find another way.

6. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I used a piece of straw to test the fence. Yep, it was electrified. LOL of course I was 6 at time.

Radar, Morgan101 and Sonofliberty like this.
  7. Sonofliberty

Sonofliberty Master Survivalist
      407/460

Blog Posts:
    IRL, I would use a meter, But, just for fun, piss on it lol

Morgan101 and TMT Tactical like this.
  8. elkhound

elkhound Master Survivalist
      307/345

Blog Posts:
    i lived in southeast....the little rooms yall call arctic entry were called wannigans there in southeast....as always things very region to region and do i dare say generation to generation as well.

TMT Tactical and Morgan101 like this.
  9. elkhound

elkhound Master Survivalist
      307/345

Blog Posts:
    theres a book called 'the cheechakos' by wayne short. he is from southeast and he does a pretty good job writing. he has several books out. one of his brothers was at a remote 'village' working when i lived there but i missed getting to meet and talk with him.they went to alaska in 46.

Alaskajohn and TMT Tactical like this.
  10. Alaskajohn

Alaskajohn Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    Wayne Short wrote several books about his life living in the remote southeast Alaska. Cheechakos and his other books are excellent reads.

And happy name change Sourdough!

TMT Tactical likes this.