Special Category Survival Kit Or Component

Discussion in 'Survival Kits' started by Pragmatist, May 30, 2019.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    I'm preparing for a trip to the Virginia portion of Appalachia. In my preparations, I remember the absence of reading about something that should be mentioned in re kits.

In my case, it's a component.

I have a writing kit. It consists of several different color ball point pens, a chisel tip fluorescent yellow highlighter, a small scissors , a small role of cellophane tape AND some all weather writing paper.

I'm not focused on journal or dairy writing. I have 2 main matters where writing are important:
    1. For land navigation. I've phased out of magnetic compass on a topo map working intersections and resections. I rely on star shots- celestial navigation. This requires, at least for me, written docs.
    2. If I witness any death during my evacuation. I "write it up" as best I can for being a witness.

The most famous company for all weather writing paper and related supplies is "Rite in the Rain" Riteinthe Rain.com out of Tacoma, Washington. I am not endorsing the company, there are a couple of other companies selling similar all weather paper. I'm just providing their name because their catalog is comprehensive.

This company truly does "We rely heavily on experts in the field". I sent them comments to correct some of their narrative material. They accepted my commentary and sent me a gift and updated pub.

On the Lewis and Clark Expedition; the "Corps of Discovery Expedition", they produced 140 maps...the ol' pen and ink maps. They were high-quality.

As an aside, they also had a desk. Writings last.

2. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Good idea, I carry a journal in my pack permanently for jotting things down.
    Keith.
    cea48015d537ae34b17b424f5fed642d.jpeg cea48015d537ae34b17b424f5fed642d.jpeg

"As an aside, they also had a desk".

I too have a writing desk, but it is too bulky to carry in my knapsack!:)
    l_XZUn-Ej2SmmEuPQDtxyRu-yg0QTW9w.jpeg

Last edited: May 30, 2019
    The Innkeeper and TMT Tactical like this.
  3. GrizzlyetteAdams

GrizzlyetteAdams Crap Creek Survivor
      390/460

Blog Posts:
  4. Morgan101

Morgan101 Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    An excellent idea. One of my favorite old Chinese proverbs " the weakest ink is stronger than the strongest memory." Since you are obviously well supplied is it safe to assume the writing kit is kept in some type of water-proof package? Zip-Loc bag, dry sac? Sorry. I can be kind of anal about keeping dry things dry.

5. GrizzlyetteAdams

390/460

Blog Posts:

Important point.

That's why I love this all-weather binder to hold my waterproof booklets and assorted notes: https://www.rainwriter.com/product-p/ritr-c9210.htm

4d4908cc707e52eb02efed0d436855fb.jpeg

But, because I am a fanatic about backup plans, all of my portable gear is stashed in various waterproof bags and containers before going into the backpack which is water resistant (unfortunately not waterproof). Growing up in South Louisiana taught me to respect water and the damage it can do!

Sad note: years ago, plastic bags such as the ZipLoc brand and others, were made more durable than today's products. I still have some very old bags that are still useful today. They must have changed their manufacturing formula (to cut costs, probably) because I have noticed plastic bags are not as long-lasting as they used to be. These days, when I use plastic bags, I buy the "freezer" types and stash one bag inside another for extra protection; they seem to last longer that way.

6. Morgan101

Morgan101 Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    So true. If we had a good caliper we would probably see the mil thickness decreased.
    Country Guy could weigh in and give us an expert opinion. I have noticed more seams splitting. When I use Zip-Loc bags I usually double bag. The things I keep in them are the last ones where I want to have a soggy mess.

Grizz: I appreciate your respect for the water. I share it completely. I always blame my woes on marrying a Pisces. Water seems to follow us wherever we go.

7. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    M101, Grizz,

Yes, of course, my writing kit is in a waterproof pouch - and then another - of freezer grade strength.

Griz, yes, the current era batch are lower quality.

I recently mentioned at other thread, on excursions, traveling to destination or working an emergency response where the travel is part of the work, I wear a light-weight natural fabric cargo vest under my work shirt. This has my documents eg shot/medical records,passport, extra 5 $ bill in case truck breaks down on on US 90 (I support progress. I-10 interferes with progress.)

Stuff I do not anticipate needing frequent access, eg passport, is in a ZipLoc bag. El money is in a Hefty brand bag. Hefty has the slide fastener. I have arthritis and slide is easier to work.

My writing kit is in large back pocket of an external cargo vest. Depending on my planning needs, it's either in aZipLoc or Hefty. Without use of the Hefty with slide, a dash of space is saved.

I plan my loadout of plastic pouch stuff on a case-by-case basis - as if my life could depend on rapid access.

Most everything is doubled unless I have even thicker pliable - but not bendable/foldable like ZipLoc or Hefty - sturdy pouches also in vest pocket(s).

I'm now in the mood for a good meal at my favorite restaurant on US 90, Bay St Louis, Ms. other than, it too, is "Gone With The Wind". ... but my stuff adheres to the adage from olden day: "Keep you powder dry".

8. GrizzlyetteAdams

390/460

Blog Posts:
    Good planning!

Enjoy your meal!!! I lived on the Coast for a time, and well know the treat you will be enjoying!

9. The Innkeeper

The Innkeeper Master Survivalist
      250/345

Blog Posts:
    Good thread. Had only given the whole writing thing a passing thought. Will move it up my priority list a bit. I can put together something functional out of supplies on hand and upgrade as I experiment. Just when you think you are making progress something else comes up. Ah well,it’s about the journey and the lifestyle ... right?we can5 be prepared for everything.

Morgan101 and TMT Tactical like this.