Sprouting For Survival Food.

Discussion in 'Food Storage - Canning/Freezing/Butchering/Prep' started by Tumbleweed, Jul 20, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Tumbleweed

Tumbleweed Expert Member
      158/173

Blog Posts:
    As long as you have access to water, you can make sprouts, and if it came right down to it, you might be able to just sprout them in the ground if it was damp enough. Sprouts are basically seeds that you can save, like dry beans and lentils, and even wheat berries. They will keep almost forever , providing that no bugs can get into the container where you are storing them.
    Sprouted seeds are a powerhouse of vitamins, minerals, enzymes, and even protein, and they have about 30 times the nutrient values than if you just eat the seed itself.
    My favorite seeds to sprout are fenugreek and lentils. Both have a wonderful flavor, and sprout easily. You can sprout seeds with not much more than a jar and some kind of cloth or screen over the top of the jar.
    I use a wide mouth canning jar, and I have special screened lids that I bought on Amazon; but that is not necessary, just makes it easier to work with.
    To sprout your seeds, put them in barely warm water in the jar, and leave them to soak overnight. I use about two rounded tablespoons for a quart jar; but you might need more or less seeds depending on what kind of seed you are sprouting, and how long you want to sprout it.
    After the seeds have soaked over night, drain the jar. (I use the water to water my houseplants, it has nutrients in it.) Lay thejar on its side so the seeds can spread out, and I usually cover it with a towel at first; but that is not really necessary either.
    Rinse the sprouts at least twice a day, and in 2-3 days you should see the little seedlings start to appear. At this point, you can put them in a window so they get some sun if they are sprouts that you want to turn green (like alfalfa sprouts), and keep them covered with the towel if you want them to stay white (like mung bean sprouts).
    Usually they will be ready to eat at about 4 days, depending on the kind of seed you are sprouting. If you are sprouting wheat berries, you want to eat those when they are short because they will get tougher as they grow. They actually make a good cereal when they have just barely sprouted, or as an addition to homemade bread or biscuits.