Sprouts

Discussion in 'Gardening, Plant Propegation, & Farming' started by randyt, Aug 25, 2019.

0/5, 0 votes

1. randyt

randyt Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    I've slacked off as of late but for awhile I was sprouting up seeds for eating. I 'm using the big jar with screen over mouth method. I've sprouted mostly wheat, mung beans, alfalfa, lentils, I think that's about it. I was going to make up a rack to hold several jars. That way I could stagger batches and have a steady supply.

Keith H., TMT Tactical and Whisper like this.
  2. Whisper

Whisper Well-Known Member
      70/58

Blog Posts:
    I've got a broccoli, clover and I forgot what else mix sprouting right now. I need to find a cheaper source for sprouting seeds because they're costing around 18.00 a pound. I also use the mason jars with the screened lid, works great. The stands are used to hold cell phones and made of metal to keep the jars on an angle to drain onto a dish towel. We've been putting the sprouts on a plate, cut up some garden tomatoes and put dressing over the top. I haven't bought lettuce in a while now. :)

TMT Tactical and randyt like this.
  3. randyt

randyt Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    I was thinking about making up a rack that straddles my laundry tub. Sprouts are good eating.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  4. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I think this is a great way to grow food, & it will be especially useful come climate change TEOTWAWKI.
    Good post Randy.
    Keith.

GrizzlyetteAdams and randyt like this.
  5. GrizzlyetteAdams

GrizzlyetteAdams Crap Creek Survivor
      390/460

Blog Posts:
    These folks have a good reputation and fair prices. http://sprouting.com/category/226/Sprouting-Seeds.html

If your internet search pulls up bulkfoods.com, you will find they have super-duper low prices on sprouting seeds but be warned that they have numerous complaints about horrible service and quality...

6. GrizzlyetteAdams

GrizzlyetteAdams Crap Creek Survivor
      390/460

Blog Posts:

Even better, scatter seed to naturalize patches of seedbearing plants outdoors for a sustainable and renewable source of future seeds. Many tasty sprouted seeds are from easy to grow plants that will practically grow wild and reseed themselves.

For example, alfalfa is easily grown and adapts well to nearly any garden, tolerating a wide range of growing conditions. It makes a good drought-resistant plant too.

Mustard will grow quickly in poor or rich soils and is a multi-use plant. I love mustard greens, and the seeds can be made into prepared mustard or sprouted.

Clover can be used as a ground cover that will add nitrogen to the soil (via root nodules), clover blossoms for tea, and seeds for sprouting.

The list goes on...