Staying in the city/town V Bugging out.

Discussion in 'The Apocalypse' started by Keith H., May 9, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I have heard a lot of talk in regards to bugging in when you live in the city or town. My opinion is that if you live in a city or town, you need to get out. If you live in a high rise apartment, you have few options of escape. Barricading yourself in sounds like a good idea, but 1) you will need to get out to find a supply of water & food 2) your toilets will not be working 3) if you need to cook you will need a gas supply or similar, & 4) someone can easily burn the place down with you inside.
    The same goes for your average house, you can not protect your self from fire & you can't stop some mob driving a truck through your house!
    So if you do live in city or town, & sincerely believe that sooner or later it will all go to hell in a handcart, then now is the time to start planning WHERE you will go, HOW you will get there, & WHAT you will take with you.

DO NOT plan everything too tightly around getting out & getting to your destination by vehicle. You may break down, you may have to ditch your vehicle. If this happens, then you will have to finish your journey on foot, & you can only carry so much food, water & gear.

By all means take extra gear with you in the vehicle if this is your mode of travel, but make sure that every member of your family/group also has their own backpack of necessary food, water, & equipment. This in my opinion should also include any child that is big enough to carry something.

Who Carries What? This will take some thinking about. Do you have some people just carrying water? Do people carry gardening tools as weapons or do you remove the helves & stails & make new ones when you reach your destination? Some people may not have a firearm, but they could carry extra ammo for those that do. Do you have a designated medical person who will be carrying the bulk of medical supplies? Same with food, can some people be responsible for carrying the bulk of the food supplies? Can you add trekking trolleys to your gear?

There is a lot to think about, but rather than write it all down here, I will just say this 1) whatever you choose in the way of equipment & tools, try & make sure it is sustainable. 2) Carry the bulk of your foods as dry foods, but make sure you carry some trail foods that do not require cooking. 3) remember this, when packing for the trail there must be a compromise between two principles; minimum weight & maximum self-reliance.
    Keith.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

lonewolf likes this.
  2. Arboreal

Arboreal Active Member
      36/47

Blog Posts:
    I'm probably inventing the wheel again, but wouldn't it be more practical to keep your supplies in the go-to safe location? this way, you won't need to transport them from your home once disaster strikes, vastly reducing your load. This is especially important in case your car breaks down and you have to continue on foot, since you would then be forced to abandon much of the cargo - not to mention that when travelling by foot, people will move and slower and tire quickier if you have much baggage.

This leaves another question: how to ensure safety of your prepared location? Would you rather recommend keeping it in isolated area and hoping for the best, or getting a trustworthy friend or relative to keep an eye on it?

Keith H. likes this.
  3. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Well as you point out, there is the risk that your retreat will be broken into & everything lost, but it is a choice/alternative. We have our gear ready to go just in case the survival situation dictates that we leave our "retreat"! But many people do not have a retreat, they will simply be escaping the city & going bush. Yes I guess you could find some place in the countryside to dig a cache, but I don't like the idea of being separated from important supplies. Certainly IF you can make it back to your cache & the cache is just food provisions, then this could be of some help.
    Keith.

4. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    In 1990, there was a strong earthquake that shook Metro Manila in mid afternoon. All the offices in the business district were automatically suspended. When I got our of the building, I saw people walking to the direction out of the district. They were like zombies walking straight and not conscious of what they are doing. Since there were no buses and other kinds of transportation, I also walked to the direction of our house. In every street, there are people, lots of people It was like a scene in an apocalypse movie where there is an exodus going on.

When tragedy strikes like a devastating earthquake, I would have to stay calm and learn a lesson from that 1990 earthquake. It was not a good idea to go out in the streets for you don't know what the people might do. What if there is a riot? Or looting? It would be best to stay in one place and survey the fields before moving. And when the coast is clear then it's okay but if not then just stay put.

5. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    "bugging out" immediately is not always the best decision, if everyone else is doing it you could find the roads clogged and no spare food or drink anywhere, it might be an alternative to remain behind, in hiding "hunkering down" until the rest have left, then you can make a decision when things have settled whether to stay or go. it might be that everyone-or nearly everyone- has left and you have the place to yourself, in that case-why leave?? have a look around and see what been left behind, who knows what you might find?