Stitch and surgery kits

Discussion in 'First Aid and Medicine' started by ziskasun, Jul 5, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. ziskasun

ziskasun New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    Do any of you have kits for simple stitches? I have seen that some have full "surgical" kits but I'm not sure I could do that. I would worry about pain management and infection. Even for simple stitches, infection can be a problem. it seems that stitching yourself or someone else up is glamorized in Hollywood movies and popular novels but how many would really do that? Have any of you had to do it?

ShuswapViking and Keith H. like this.
  2. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    The main thing to watch out for is not stitching in dirt! The wound must be clean. No I have never stitched myself up, though I have been operated on without any anesthetic (nothing, no local either & no rum!!!). I do carry the suture thread & needle & forceps, but the last time I needed stitches I simply cleaned the wound & bound it closed with a bandage. It healed just fine.
    Keith.

ShuswapViking likes this.
  3. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    I learned to sew as a kid i cross trained as medic in usmc i have done many wounds on many people and on myself the simple thing of knowing how to sew may save your life any needle and silk thread clean and wound cleaned and good after care can save your life

Keith H. likes this.
  4. ShuswapViking

ShuswapViking New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    Search the web for basic suture kits. There are hundreds of sites to purchase from. Watch youtube on how to suture and practice on a banana. Seriously, I've stitched up a knife wound with that exact same advice.

Keith H. likes this.
  5. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    i don't know about anyone else but in a long life I have never had to stitch anyone up, "paper" stitches have always been adequate for my needs and I have some in my kit.

6. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    Suture kits are over rated!

Clean and pack works for most things and if that aint enough your skills wont cut it with just a suture kit!

I carry kits that include sutures but they also have anaesthetic (local) blades and basic instruments to work on a serious wound!
    Never needed them and hope I never do!

ps it is near impossible to do any major first aid on yourself! always have a buddy/partner/companion.

And remember the best first aid you can receive is not the best you can do but the best someone with you can do!

7. Bushdoctor

Bushdoctor Expert Member
      163/173

Blog Posts:
    I carry suture kits and local anaesthetics as a matter of course but most wounds that can be treated in the field by a firstaider ( who may not be particlarly well trained ) are best treated with steri-strips and
    pressure dressings. Any damage to underlying strucures e.g. large veins or arteries or tendons need urgent attention from a trained medic or E.R. In my opinion if you have not been trained to suture dont do
    it, you may do even more damage.

Keith H. and lonewolf like this.
  8. Lee CT NE

Lee CT NE Expert Member
      176/230

Blog Posts:
    Check eBay. As a retired RN and former Corpsman, I basically put mine together. Also excellent sources on "how-to" out there as well and most are free.

9. Bishop

Bishop Master Survivalist
      335/345

Blog Posts:
    I use a small sewing needles and dental floss hydrogen peroxide and honey heat the needle soak dental floss in peroxide dip in honey clean wound with peroxide put honey on wound and see it up

Lee CT NE likes this.