Stock market - key to financial survival

Discussion in 'Financial Planning' started by crimsonghost747, Jun 18, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    Anyone else here investing in the stock market?

I've been an investor for a few years now, slowly accumulating more shares into my long term buy & hold portfolio. The idea is of course to prepare for unforseen financial events, such as losing a job etc. It's always good to have multiple sources of income and the stock market has done exactly that for me. :)

2. CivilDefense

CivilDefense Expert Member
      235/345

Blog Posts:
    I agree completely. We have a well diversified portfolio in stocks, bonds, and a few other things (e.g., precious metals, REITs, etc.). Financial fitness is a key to weathering life's storms and bouncing back from a disaster. Extra income from dividend payments can also be plowed into preps. The more greenbacks, the better, after all. Neglect this area and you're going to get lunched.

3. hades_leae

hades_leae Active Member
      48/93

Blog Posts:
    I think investing in binary options, and building up a healthy portfolio is a great way to prepare for financial survival, I'm actually planning to get into binary options pretty soon. I'm tired of working for companies. As soon as SHTF happens, there won't be jobs. The income that I relied on if I was working pay check to pay check will not have been worth it, but in stocks, I could build up an income of say millions a year, or even less but it's still better than getting paid a fixed income that only allows me to do so much with my life.

4. Endure

Endure Expert Member
      130/140

Blog Posts:
    Certainly, the stock market is one of the most vital components of a free-market economy, as it provides companies with access to capital in exchange for giving investors a slice of ownership in the company. The stock market makes it possible to grow a small initial sums of money into large ones, and to become wealthy without necessarily taking the risk of starting a business or making the sacrifices that often accompany a high-paying career.

As long as companies are profitable, stock market investors make money through the dividends the companies pay out and by selling appreciated stocks at a profit. The downside is that investors can lose money if the companies whose stocks they hold lose money, the stocks' prices goes down and the investor sells the stocks at a loss.

5. katjamas

katjamas New Member
      1/23

Blog Posts:
    Do you have any advice on how to start making money of stock market? Do you use Forex or any other trading platform? I would really love to start investing, but have no idea where to start.

6. gracer

gracer New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    I am also a firm believer of investing in stocks and accumulating financial security by investing in diversified portfolios. My husband and I are just starting when it comes to investment and I'm glad I was able to convince him to be open to investing in stocks. It is a good way of making sure that money doesn't sleep and depreciate with inflation. :)

7. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    Well learning what the whole thing is about is a good start. Books, internet... you've got a lot of sources. Grab a book, and have investopedia open in case there are terms you don't understand etc. That's a good start.

In any case, it might be easiest to start by saving into a simple index fund. And with time and more knowledge you can start making more specific choices according to your own needs and risk profile.

8. kismat

kismat New Member
      1/25

Blog Posts:
    The stock market is very good place to invest. Basically, stock market channelizes the money of savers and invest in something most benefit. Stock market protects from price rigging and malpractices of brokers. Stock market provides liquidity to financial assets and it is very easy to convert into money. And whenever you are in trouble you can always rely on the stock market and you can always disinvest. The stock market is the safest place to invest and you won't regret. In my honest opinion stock market is really financial survival.

9. missionreport

missionreport New Member
      1/25

Blog Posts:
    Well I would invest when I can. What I mean is, I really don't understand what's going on in those graphs and numbers. Would you guys be so nice to share some information on where to start? I'm sure I'd do my due diligence and start right away. I'm just too skeptical with the way those online platforms are offering huge money in return. So, I don't think I really don't want to buy into something that I don't fully understand yet.

10. streettallest

streettallest New Member
      6/29

Blog Posts:
    I totally agree with the OP on investing in stock market as a means of preparing for unforseen financial problems. Back in 2004 I started building my portfolio in company stocks and when I thought the figures were looking nice, the stock market in my country collapsed due to corruption in the system.

So I have been sceptical about increasing my investment in my country's stock market.

11. streettallest

streettallest New Member
      6/29

Blog Posts:
    You are right brov... I think this was what happened yo back then. There were overblown figures everywhere. But because I didn't know where to look at in the figures,I feel for the trick. I think to be a good stock market investor, one needs to know 'how to look at the figures'. Please any experienced investors in the house?