Storing Pails On Concrete

Discussion in 'Finding, Identifying, and Preparing Food' started by Bev Hapner, Mar 18, 2020.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Bev Hapner

Bev Hapner Well-Known Member
      75/115

Blog Posts:
    We bought 6 gallon pails from emergency ess. about 9 years ago. We did not know until recently ou should not store them on concrete. Is the way to see if they are good... open them all and smell, or look at the color?
    We are just stuck on knowing what to do.
    Thanks for your help.
    Bev

TMT Tactical likes this.
  2. Snyper

Snyper Master Survivalist
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    There's no reason I know of to not store them on concrete unless they are metal.
    If they are and they are damaged you'll be able to see the rust.

Caribou and TMT Tactical like this.
  3. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning Bev,

First, a welcome to the Forum ! I missed you earlier posts.

Direct storage on concrete is not a major concern other than it is not considered "best practices".

An initial inspection does require opening them AND CHECKING THE LID AND THE INTERFACE WITH THE PAIL.

Yes, a visual inspection first.

The "smell test" must follow.

What is the purpose of these pails ? Did you have anything stored in them ? Are the pails labeled and dated with contents' labels ?

I like to store big or heavy pails on a light wooden pallet. Year-round I keep a few moth balls (camphor) under the pallets for anti-bug operations. If an emergency retrieval in darkness, don't want to start arguments with dangerous spiders or the occasional snake in the barn. The camphor keeps them away.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  4. Bev Hapner

75/115

Blog Posts:
    Thanks, Snyper

TMT Tactical likes this.
  5. Bev Hapner

75/115

Blog Posts:
    They seem to be the same as a Lowe’s or home-depot pail, with Mylar bags inside. The outside about 5 pails , are with in ft. Of an outside wall that most like froze during the winter. So I am concerned about the moisture content going up during those months??
    Thanks for your help, Pragmatist!!

TMT Tactical likes this.
  6. Bev Hapner

75/115

Blog Posts:
    I know it may seem pretty ignorant on our part, we do have plenty of other supplies in a temp controlled area. We are way behind most people on this site.
    Thanks for all of your knowlage!!!

Caribou and TMT Tactical like this.
  7. Caribou

Caribou Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    Batteries and metal tend to have problems with concrete. The plastic is permeable but your mylar isn't, I expect your stores are just fine. If you do open the bags put a small piece of dry ice NEAR the bottom and reseal after it sublimates.

8. Bev Hapner

75/115

Blog Posts:
    Thanks Caribou!

Caribou likes this.