Storing Seeds

Discussion in 'Gardening, Plant Propegation, & Farming' started by John Snort, May 25, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. John Snort

John Snort Well-Known Member
      92/93

Blog Posts:
    Whilst talking about gardening, in case of an emergency unless you were a farmer before disaster struck you might not be able to obtain seeds from any place you would have previously.

That is why seeds must be another of things you need to stock up on. Although you may not do any gardening now, you need to have everything you need to start a garden just in case . . .

2. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    don't forget any seeds you store for post SHTF must be "Heritage" seeds, normal ones in the shops are hybrid..marked F1, and don't breed true, most of them you cant save the seed once you've grown the plant as the resulting seeds are infertile.

OfTheEarth and John Snort like this.
  3. John Snort

John Snort Well-Known Member
      92/93

Blog Posts:
    I did not that hybrid seeds will only produce infertile seeds. It's an easy way for the companies to get their customers to buy more of their seeds. From now on I never will buy hybrid seeds.

p.s I learn something new on this forum every day. Thanks, guys.

acheno84 likes this.
  4. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    that's what we are here for JS.

OfTheEarth likes this.
  5. cluckeyo

cluckeyo Well-Known Member
      95/140

Blog Posts:
    I know that seeds known as open-pollinated may be collected, dried and used next season. I know that you should buy heirloom plants or seeds if you plan to collect seeds. This would be really important to a sustainable farm. Some can be collected and stored right away. Some must be dried. I have kept seeds in the freezer but have read since that it is better to keep them in the fridge in air-tight packaging.

John Snort likes this.
  6. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    in a tin , sealed with tape, in a cool dry place.

7. Correy

Correy Expert Member
      141/149

Blog Posts:
    Doesn't storing seeds for prolonged periods of time decrease the chance they'll sprout?

8. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    not if their kept dry and cool in an airtight tin.
    some seeds have been dormant for hundreds of years and then sprouted.

John Snort likes this.
  9. filmjunkie08

filmjunkie08 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    I have been storing seeds in a freezer bag and out of direct sunlight (not necessarily in a cool place). Should I be doing something different?

10. acheno84

acheno84 Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    I did not know this either! This is great news to hear. I too learn something new on this forum every day. I will definitely have to pay more attention when buying seeds to make sure that I will actually be able to regrow. Thanks for this information.

11. jonthai

jonthai New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the heads up! I actually haven't thought about that ,and it makes perfect sense. With these seeds we can grow our own products , and start producing again , in case of a disaster.Although, as Ionewolf said , many seeds are not of a pure ''breed'', and you should make sure you get those for natural planting.I think you can get those from biological farmers or usually just from farms.

12. thePENofGODx0x0xz7

thePENofGODx0x0xz7 New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    It is sad that there are store bought fruits and vegetables barely have seeds.
    When they do have seeds it is as if they have seeds solely for decoration.
    I don't know if you have noticed, but the seeds in store bought vegetables can not reproduce the fruit that you initially ate it from.

13. OfTheEarth

OfTheEarth Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    Wow, did not realize how many seeds are hybridized and won't grow...such a scary thought. Question, does an organic certified fruit mean that its seed is good to sprout? I am a bit confused there.

14. SirJoe

SirJoe Expert Member
      143/173

Blog Posts:
    Seeds aren't perpetual, there are some seeds that won't germinate after a certain amount of time. It's a good idea to keep them fresh and grow out the seeds of plants that are hard to get.

15. remnant

remnant Expert Member
      190/230

Blog Posts:
    Seeds can be stored indefinitely if you store them in conditions that exclude moisture and warmth. Seed companies use fumigants to preserve their seeds. A good alternative is woodash which has the added advantage of being organic and can be planted with the seeds since it provides useful nutrients.