Storing Tobacco....barter Item..

Discussion in 'Other Advanced Survival Skills' started by watcherchris, Oct 28, 2022.

0/5, 0 votes

1. watcherchris

watcherchris Legendary Survivalist
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I don't smoke but have been mulling over....tobacco storage long term ...with barter in mind.

Was thinking about cartons of cigarettes...bust not sure how to store them long term ....except freezing.....and that did not appeal to me.

Someone mentioned pipe tobacco and that sounded more reasonable.

I am not even sure if it is still sold in tins like in he olde days..as packaging has taken quantum leaps over the years.

Thinking I shall have to find a smoke shop....and ask.

With that in mind..what do the members know about long term storage of tobacco products.

I am now leaning more heavily to pipe tobacco products and mayhap rolling papers

I would appreciate any advice or knowledge the members might have on this.

It is not a priority but an arena in which I have been thinking for some time now.

Watcherchris
    Not an Ishmaelite.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  2. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:
    This topic is not a hot priority but it is an arena for which I have been searching for a solution for some time now.

Not being an avid smoker has hindered me in finding a soulution...but still working on it.

Any help or knowledge would be appreciated.

Watcherchris
    Not an Ishmaelite.

3. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  4. poltiregist

poltiregist Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    I was discussing a few weeks ago with one of my tribe that smokes , the potential of growing tobacco for his own use . Quite possibly a few tobacco plants will be tried in a garden next spring . One plant would produce a lot of tobacco whether it is for personal use or trade . There are videos on you tube on the subject of growing tobacco . With this in mind storing tobacco long term would not be necessary . From a preppers perspective having tobacco seeds in case the situation calls for a need for trade rather than spending a large sum of money on tobacco might make more logic , especially if the prepper is already a seasoned gardener and with a place to grow it . On the market is cigarette rollers , filters and paper that would open up a trade market in ready to go cigarettes .

Last edited: Oct 28, 2022
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  5. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    One cannot store tobacco. If you keep it humidified, you must smoke it lest it mold. If you dry it, it loses its aroma.

As Poltergeist stated, one must grow it yourself.

My kin grew it.

Big cash crop from where I come. A lot of tobacco money ended up in my dad's gambling machines.

Thing is about tobacco is that eats the nutrients out of the soil like some monster. This is why tobacco farmers have to use LOTS of fertilizer on acreage. Then their is the suckering chemicals. Add to that anti-fungicides to prevent the blue mold.

If you grow your own, it's gonna take a bunch of composted manure to do so. Too, you'll have to sucker (topping) the plants manually.

poltiregist and TMT Tactical like this.
  6. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I dont think we have the right temperatures to grow tobacco in Britain, I know a friend of mine tried many years ago but it was a failure.
    better things to store than tobacco.

Old Geezer and TMT Tactical like this.
    1. Old Geezer
      Tobacco requires HOT weather. Two reasons: 1) Needs sunlight and lots of it; 2) Cooler weather promotes the growth of blue mold, a tobacco destroyer. Cuba is just the place to grow fine tobaccos.
      Tobacco is a dynamite trade/barter item. Millions are addicted = their problem.
      Blue mold (mould, Brit.) article: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/20078772/
      [​IMG]

Old Geezer, Oct 29, 2022