Stranding Myself On An Island - Sri Lanka

Discussion in 'General Q&A' started by LKisland, Mar 28, 2018.

0/5, 0 votes

1. LKisland

LKisland New Member
      1/29

Blog Posts:
    Hello people.
    Firstly, this is not a joke or a fantasy, I’ve decided to do this.
    I’m currently planning to put myself on a 0.4km^2 island near Sri Lanka for somewhere between 2 to 4 weeks.
    I have decent survival skills. I will be bringing sufficient food and water along with other things such as a medical kit and basic survival tools.
    I’m posting here today because I want to ask for advice, specifically about the following:
    - Additional information on surviving in the tropics
    - Natural food that I can expect to find, eg. coconuts. (I am vegan).
    - Common diseases and treatments.
    - food recommendations

I will have no cellphone reception, as the island is approx 10km off shore (not giving specifics).
    The island is presumed uninhabited, but looking at satalite imagery there by the looks of it some buildings, as well as fishing boats near by.

Any tips? I’m not sure if I should go for two weeks or a month. I want to checkout the island first but I don’t think that will be possible as I will need to pay the fisherman taking me out, and it might get pricy.

Any contributions and suggestions are appreciated.

2. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Carry plenty of food because you are not going to find a whole lot of food that you will want on a small island. You might look into various seaweeds. Being Vegan on an island where most of your normal food resources would come from the sea makes it a real challenge. The good news is that if you carry enough food for a couple of weeks you won't starve to death in a month or so no matter what. Water should be available if you will back off the beach a little way and then dig down until you find the water table. This water will at first be salty but the fresh water will float to the top and you can drink just from that top layer.

Beware of eating much of anything that you are not accustomed too. Coconuts will give you awful diarrhea as will most fruits that you are not used to. This can easily lead to dehydration and if you are alone that could be VERY bad.

I have to say this and I mean no disrespect but why the vegan thing? For a survivalist to decide to be vegan is like a sailor that refuses to learn how to swim.

3. LKisland

LKisland New Member
      1/29

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the tips! I will be sure to keep them in mind.
    Mainly I’m vegan for the challenge, and because I find myself having more energy.