Stress Relief

Discussion in 'Other Hobbies, Jobs, or Pastime' started by Radar, Jun 21, 2019.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Radar

Radar Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    Ya know how certain scents are comfy? I like the smell of play-doh, but guess what? They changed the freaking way it smells! Made me mad. I bought a little tiny container of it, says ages 2+, I figure I fit that, then only to find out, the smell is different. :eek: That's like part of the reason to handle play-doh. Plus it is a stress reliever. I had 3 other people smell it and they say it is normal. I think they're wrong.
    What do you do for stress relief?
    I also listen to loud music while I'm driving when I'm mad at the world, or feeling like a wild woman.
    Gardening, working the soil with my bare hands is something else I enjoy for stress relief. But the mosquitoes are about to carry me away so there will be none of that.

2. Brownbear

Brownbear Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    Tai Chi (at the martial end of things). Good for lowering blood pressure, fitness and also serves to improve balance and stance.

Keith H., TMT Tactical, Radar and 3 others like this.
  3. Morgan101

Morgan101 Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    In my younger years I would have found stress relief somewhere in a bottle of Scotch, more often at the bottom rather than the top. Now I just don't let things bother me. I let them roll off my back, and don't give them a second thought. Right or wrong I have found that stress will be greatly reduced when you have an " I don't give a $%^& attitude." Things that used to make me crazy I now ignore. Maybe it just comes with age.

4. poltiregist

poltiregist Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    I simply get up in the mornings around dawn . Sip on a cup of coffee or two and enjoy the sounds of the beginning of a new day and watch the sun come up . Whenever I get a doctor check up they are always impressed with my blood pressure and am often told I have the blood pressure of a teenager . I am nearly seventy .

5. GrizzlyetteAdams

GrizzlyetteAdams Crap Creek Survivor
      390/460

Blog Posts:
    I head for the woods because being there is like Nature's answer to Prozac.

My brother is the same way, Ha, his pirogue is the biggest "Prozac" pill I have ever seen. Every chance he gets, he grabs one of his pirogues and heads for the swamps...

(To the uninitiated, a pirogue is a type of boat in Louisiana that can glide thru the swamps like lightning. In the old days, they were handmade from cypress trees.)

If I can't get in the woods, then I escape in my mind...whoaaa....now there's a trip, lol.

TMT Tactical, Radar, Caribou and 2 others like this.
  6. GrizzlyetteAdams

390/460

Blog Posts:

I'm another one that likes the smell of Play-Doh. OK, for the sake of this thread, I will try to remember to ask around my circle of little friends and see if any of them have any...

Yes, certain smells are comfy! My comfort smells would be Night Blooming Jasmine, Magnolia blossoms, and the Mississippi River. They are reminiscent of half a lifetime spent in New Orleans / Barataria areas.

Another smell is the aroma of roux as it reaches perfection. (The roux is the base of many Creole/Cajun dishes.) It is a mixture of cooking oil and flour which is stirred at medium-high heat until it is the right color for the effects and flavor I want. For example, very dark roux = thinner gumbo, but more intense roux flavor. Lighter roux = thicker gumbo. (Each color stage also has its own special aroma.) When it reaches that magic moment, I throw in the trinity (onions, celery, bell pepper)...OMGoodness, then the delightful aroma becomes like a religious experience for me, lol!

Sounds do it for me too: Rain, crickets, frogs, alligators, shrimp boats, tugboats... and the sound of water gently lapping the side of a houseboat...

home sweet home on the bayou.jpg

Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
  7. Sourdough

Sourdough "eleutheromaniac"
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    I just kill things, it relives stress and is supremely satisfying.

Good Tools for stress relief: Husky 570X, and a splitting maul.

If I need some stress, full battle rattle, always gets there instantly.

8. Morgan101

Morgan101 Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Grizz: I feel less stress just reading your post!! :rolleyes:

I must not be as in touch with my olfactory side, or I'm just a typical guy. I love the smell of gunpowder when I shoot. I love the smell and the sound (crazy!!) of 33 race cars getting the green flag on the first lap, and flying past you almost in formation. Probably not stress reducing, but certainly exhilarating.

9. GrizzlyetteAdams

390/460

Blog Posts:

Who is your daddy????!!!???? My brother is exactly like this, a literal killing machine. Says it relaxes him. (As a result, he has the fullest pantry and freezer that I have ever seen.)

10. Sourdough

515/575

Blog Posts:
    If you want to make billions of dollars quickly, create and market a ladies cologne that smells like "HOPPIES No.9" It will drive "Realmen" wild with desire.

11. GrizzlyetteAdams

390/460

Blog Posts:
    Or, for that matter, a men's cologne that smells like Hoppe's #9... Women, like myself, love the smell of well cared for guns!

TMT Tactical and Caribou like this.
  12. Caribou

Caribou Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    The good choice of a spouse can reduce stress, a poor choice will increase stress.

13. Sourdough

515/575

Blog Posts:
    Do you know the reason humans like the smell of "Play-doh"......??

It has the exact same smell as a freshly washed and dried infant.

In the wilderness new born animals have a smell that predators can't detect after they are licked clean. Not sure how long that condition remains, or if it is remotely relevant to the smell of freshly washed infants.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
  14. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    While I don't kill things (varmint hunt) any more, I do love to shoot. My form of relaxation is 5 shots in a 1/4 hole. I concentrate and focus and forget everything else. Never stress about anything I can't change. If I can change it then I don't need to stress, just make the changes.

15. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I go for a walk around the woods or through the forest, always works for me. Helps me think things out rationally.
    Keith.
    b89abc7d29eab685077bb966e550c815.jpeg

16. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    whats stress??
    if I want to think things through I go for a country walk.

Keith H. and TMT Tactical like this.
  17. Alaskajohn

Alaskajohn Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    One of my favorite methods of stress relief is splitting wood with a nice axe. I always have an endless list of projects, and the projects where I’m building or repairing something can really eliminate any stress while I’m working. In the winter, plowing my almost half mile long driveway is great stress relief.

Two shots of Makers Mark and two cubes of ice works wonders too!

1. Old Geezer
      Bourbon works. Better is fantasizing about beating some arrogant smart@$$ the hell to death with an iron rod. Bourbons of note: Russell's Reserve, single barrel; I like Bakers over Bookers; Bulleit 10yr Bourbon; of course there's the perfect bourbon, Old Rip Van Winkle (10/20yrs+ ago I could get it for a decent price whenever traveling through Kentucky, I had a favorite store); Basil Hayden's 10 yr Bourbon; I like the Weller line (Rip Winkle is now being produced at the Weller/Buffalo-Trace/Elmer T. Lee distillery, favorite of mine for decades; Sazerac now owns them); Blanton's is always a winner. In Scotch, it's gotta be an Islay; must have me peat.

Old Geezer, Jul 2, 2020
      Alaskajohn likes this.
  18. LastOutlaw

LastOutlaw Legendary Survivalist
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I like the way you think. A fellow bourbon drinker when I drink.

TMT Tactical and Alaskajohn like this.
  19. Radar

Radar Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    :eek:Maybe I need bigger stress relievers. Sounds like I'm not having enough fun, compared to you guys.:D

Caribou, Keith H. and TMT Tactical like this.
  20. Oddcaliber

Oddcaliber Active Member
      45/58

Blog Posts:
    A day at the range is my stress relief!

TMT Tactical and Dalewick like this.
  21. Dalewick

Dalewick Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Stress relief...

little stress = Paint, carve or something else with art.

medium stress level = Go fishing or sit in a hunting blind.

high stress = Go to the gun range or blow things up. Some habits are hard to break.

Dale