Super Solar Flares

Discussion in 'News, Current Events, and Politics' started by Pragmatist, Jun 25, 2019.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    Radar, Keith H. and TMT Tactical like this.
  2. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    By the time you learn it is time to leave, you should have already been gone. Yes, it will be too late. Hunker down and do the best you can, for as long as you can.

Radar and Morgan101 like this.
  3. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    "Must we abandon hope ?!"

Nope.

Shield your equipment. I just recently (in past week) posted some websites containing EMP-shielding equipment. When not in use, store your equipment in Faraday cabinets ... or maybe a cabinet inside another cabinet.

4. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning Old Geezer,

I remember reading your recent EMP-protection post.

Here in my shack all is OK. Yet my primary preparedness focus is evacuation to GOOD in pickup truck or FLC - Feet, Leather Covered ... sometimes with add-on rubber boots.

My most mobile SW radio - smallest, lightest - is a Grundig AM-FM-SW using 2 AAA btrys. It has limited reception range but covers Virginia Shenandoah / Virginia Appalachia area. It is on my equipment belt in a pouch modified with dental X-Ray film container. This is not EMP-protected; just RFID signals level. If traveling, EMP could affect me well prior to my gadgets so just continue plans to reach the Promised Land.

Radar and TMT Tactical like this.
  5. kilo4okc

kilo4okc Expert Member
      176/230

Blog Posts:
    Caribou and TMT Tactical like this.
  6. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    never saw the point in protecting personal stuff in an EMP when all the public stuff would be down.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  7. Morgan101

Morgan101 Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    I have tried to read up on EMP, and protecting your electronics, but the more I read the more confused I get. I am not techie, and I guess I just get more confused when I get bombarded, no pun intended, with data and terminology. It seems like each EMP event be it nuclear explosion or coronal mass ejection all produce different types of radio waves. No one really knows if any of the Carrington boxes will work. I have seen studies that came out of the Soviet Union that showed nothing worked. Not that that should surprise me. When did the Soviet Union ever do anything that worked. But these guys studied radiation in stupid $%^t ways with total disregard for human safety. They couldn't find anything that would protect electronics. The wiring was always fried.

I have relegated myself to thinking if it happens it happens. I will be with TMT hunkered down, surviving the moment, and hoping for the best.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  8. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    even if we could protect every personal electronic in the house, i'm like you Morgan i'm not technically minded, what would be the use if the electric grid was fried nothing would work anyway, everything needs either a direct feed via a wall socket or recharging via a wall socket when the battery runs down.
    my plan is to live a non electrical lifestyle post SHTF, that way I know what I have will work because its all manually operated.

9. kilo4okc

kilo4okc Expert Member
      176/230

Blog Posts:
    there will be other HAM radio operators out there that will have working rigs.....and you can always run them off solar panel charge batteries....it might be nice to find out what is happening in the rest of the world after SHTF.....so there is a reason to trying to protect somethings from EMP.

10. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    might be nice to find out what is happening in the rest of the world after SHTF, maybe and maybe not!!
    seeing as how I don't have ham radio and never will, its all a bit academic.

TMT Tactical and Morgan101 like this.
  11. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning Lone Wolf,

I use the same philosophy.

TMT Tactical, Morgan101 and lonewolf like this.
  12. TMT Tactical

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Just from what I have read and what little I really understood, the only way to protect the equipment is to have it stored away, in protective (still under debate if it exists) containers. So if you plan to have power after the event, your complete solar system must be stored in these protective containers. I don't know about you folks but I am going to have enough problems buying and installing one working system, much less storing a back up system. Worrying about EMP /CME is off my list.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2019
    Morgan101 likes this.
  13. GateCrasher

GateCrasher Expert Member
      247/345

Blog Posts:
    Just for clarity, solar flares don't produce the E1 pulse that would damage electronics sitting unplugged on a shelf. Devices plugged into grid power could be damaged by a large flare inducing a surge on the grid power lines, but there will be hours or days notice and plenty of time to unplug devices or flip off the breakers before it hit. There are some residential circuit breakers available, at somewhat reasonable cost, which have nanosecond response times and might be fast enough to protect the devices in your home from the E3 component of a nuclear EMP or the surge caused by a solar flare.

Shielding (Faraday cages), for individual preparedness purposes, really only applies to protecting devices from the E1 pulse produced by a nuclear EMP. Enclosing items within a conductive enclosure attenuates the field strength of the pulse inside the enclosure, so less voltage is induced on conductors inside the enclosure. The goal being to attenuate the field strength (and the resulting induced voltage) below the level where it would cause damage to the devices/components inside the cage, but there's too many unknown variables to answer for certain how much shielding is needed. The strength of the pulse, your distance (and even direction) from it, the effectiveness of the shielding (in dB), and the sensitivity of the devices you're trying to protect are just a few of the variables.

Short answer, what Old Geezer said. Multiple conductive shields with insulators (even air) between them provides good protection, and the effects of each shield are cumulative. Aluminum is a good conductor and probably the easiest and cheapest to acquire. Wrap item in tinfoil, wrap that in paper/plastic, wrap that package in more tinfoil, and wrap that in paper/plastic again. Repeat until paranoia is sated, or that's what I did anyway.

26cec22d7c3380aa899d6304217d010c.jpeg

I'd like to think I'm getting close to 70-80 dB of attenuation with 3 nested shields, but no idea really since I don't have test equipment to measure it. Obviously this method works better for spare equipment since getting into and re-wrapping it later can be a pain.

TMT Tactical, Caribou and Morgan101 like this.
  14. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Read up on surge protectors.

Had lightning run in on a driveway gate controller. Fried it royal.

So I put some monster MOV surge protectors in the circuit. Lightning ran in again. The MOVs were blown the he!! apart, blackened, split apart, B52 attack. The gate controller circuit kept on truckin'. How did I know that my fencing had taken a hit? The report shook the house. "Better go check my gate controller!" I simply couldn't go on buying circuit boards, the company was aging-out and I only had one engineer to speak with.

Here's but one itty-bitty example. Some plug into your fuse box -- i.e. you don't gotta solder an MOV into your circuit board like I had to do.
    https://www.elvessupply.com/Transte...20-Ka-Nominal-Discharge-Current_p_147385.html

In an electronics eng lab I worked, there was of course testing going on. Every once and a while, an MOV would explode. Sounded like a .38 revolver going off. Your MOVs are sacrificial goats.

Here's a picture of some little ones:
    139c7befc0dcdc5062cb810e2f4262f2.jpeg

15. GateCrasher

GateCrasher Expert Member
      247/345

Blog Posts:
    Good idea, and inexpensive protection. Backwoods electrical (re)engineering is a hobby of mine too, if we were still on the grid I'd probably install something like this for fast surge protection for EMP protection, it's supposed to have a <1 nanosecond response time.

Along the same lines and on my To Do list is replacing the standard bypass diodes on our solar panels with TVS diodes, if you have (or are planning for) off-grid solar power the attached doc might be of interest, it's a study out of Switzerland where they tested residential-sized commercial solar panels in an EMP simulator. The panels all survived really well with no significant damage, but the bypass diodes were the weak link. Their website is http://ece-research.unm.edu/summa/notes/ , other papers on EMP and lightning simulations available there too.

If you have any other improvised electric/electronic projects (or hacks) I'd very much enjoy reading about them. I have a couple projects you might find interesting too, maybe I'll write up a post on one of them.

Attached Files:

16. poltiregist

poltiregist Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    On Space Weather News , today sun spots are forming and are being monitored for possible eruptions .

17. Radar

Radar Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    The video on space weather news... I do not understand what he is trying to say in the last couple of minutes of the video about writing to a professor. Very interesting videos and graphics, @poltiregist

TMT Tactical likes this.
  18. poltiregist

515/575

Blog Posts:
    Today 8 /23 /2019 on space weather news , coronal hole stream due early next week coming from a dark hole on our sun . According to google , a coronal mass ejection is the relatively calm solar atmosphere can be torn asunder by sudden outbursts of a scale unknown on earth . CATASTROPIC events of incredible energy . Will that effect earth ? I don't know .

19. Radar

Radar Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    I'm sorry, but I got lost in your comment. "According to google, a coronal mass ejection is the relatively calm solar atmosphere can be torn asunder by sudden outbursts of a scale unknown to earth. CATASTROPIC events of incredible energy. "
    Did you mistype? Or you could you explain? I have issues and don't always "get it."

TMT Tactical and poltiregist like this.
  20. poltiregist

515/575

Blog Posts:
    Actually Radar I really don't understand the significance of this either . I am just quoting what those scientist type had to say . How they can be so sure it is going to happen next week I don't know . Or how a coronal mass ejection , described as a catastrophic event of incredible energy will effect earth , again I don't know . Perhaps someone smarter than us can explain this to us .

TMT Tactical likes this.
  21. Radar

Radar Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    From Google: What is a coronal mass ejection and what does it cause on earth?
    A coronal mass ejection (or CME) is a giant cloud of solar plasma drenched with magnetic field lines that is blown away from the Sun often during strong, long-duration solar flares and filament eruptions.

From Wikipedia:
    A coronal mass ejection is a significant release of plasma and accompanying magnetic field from the solar corona. They often follow solar flares and are normally present during a solar prominence eruption. The plasma is released into the solar wind, and can be observed in coronagraph imagery. Wikipedia

This is a good article and may help. I didn't paste the entire article.
    https://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2014/23jul_superstorm
    July 23, 2014: If an asteroid big enough to knock modern civilization back to the 18th century appeared out of deep space and buzzed the Earth-Moon system, the near-miss would be instant worldwide headline news.

Two years ago, Earth experienced a close shave just as perilous, but most newspapers didn't mention it. The "impactor" was an extreme solar storm, the most powerful in as much as 150+ years.

"If it had hit, we would still be picking up the pieces," says Daniel Baker of the University of Colorado.

Baker, along with colleagues from NASA and other universities, published a seminal study of the storm in the December 2013 issue of the journal Space Weather. Their paper, entitled "A major solar eruptive event in July 2012," describes how a powerful coronal mass ejection (CME) tore through Earth orbit on July 23, 2012. Fortunately Earth wasn't there. Instead, the storm cloud hit the STEREO-A spacecraft.

"I have come away from our recent studies more convinced than ever that Earth and its inhabitants were incredibly fortunate that the 2012 eruption happened when it did," says Baker. "If the eruption had occurred only one week earlier, Earth would have been in the line of fire.

Extreme solar storms pose a threat to all forms of high-technology. They begin with an explosion--a "solar flare"—in the magnetic canopy of a sunspot. X-rays and extreme UV radiation reach Earth at light speed, ionizing the upper layers of our atmosphere; side-effects of this "solar EMP" include radio blackouts and GPS navigation errors. Minutes to hours later, the energetic particles arrive. Moving only slightly slower than light itself, electrons and protons accelerated by the blast can electrify satellites and damage their electronics. Then come the CMEs, billion-ton clouds of magnetized plasma that take a day or more to cross the Sun-Earth divide. Analysts believe that a direct hit by an extreme CME such as the one that missed Earth in July 2012 could cause widespread power blackouts, disabling everything that plugs into a wall socket. Most people wouldn't even be able to flush their toilet because urban water supplies largely rely on electric pumps.
    Before July 2012, when researchers talked about extreme solar storms their touchstone was the iconic Carrington Event of Sept. 1859, named after English astronomer Richard Carrington who actually saw the instigating flare with his own eyes. In the days that followed his observation, a series of powerful CMEs hit Earth head-on with a potency not felt before or since. Intense geomagnetic storms ignited Northern Lights as far south as Cuba and caused global telegraph lines to spark, setting fire to some telegraph offices and thus disabling the 'Victorian Internet."

poltiregist and TMT Tactical like this.
  22. poltiregist

515/575

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for all your research RADAR . If we are looking at a potential catastrophe , I doubt we would receive much warning as the elite in charge wouldn't want to panic the little people .

TMT Tactical and Radar like this.
  23. poltiregist

515/575

Blog Posts:
    I don't claim to understand any of it , but today's space weather news video ends stating " we may be looking at the beginning of a disaster " .

TMT Tactical likes this.
  24. Radar

Radar Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
  25. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    http://www.spaceweather.com/

Quote:

"GEOMAGNETIC STORM FORECAST: A hole in the sun's atmosphere is facing Earth and spewing a stream of solar wind in our direction. Estimated time of arrival: Aug. 27th. Minor G1-class geomagnetic storms and high-latitude auroras are possible when the gaseous material arrives. Aurora alerts: SMS Text."

This report sez that it is going to be minor.

Radar, TMT Tactical and poltiregist like this.
  26. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    https://debatereport.com/news/unexpectedly-huge-solar-flare-reported-by-nasas-soho/10087/

The Solar Flare Blues

Sun he havin' he one bad boy flare,
    But ain't me gonna pull out me hair!
    Weather man say flare not comin' our way,
    But day gonna come we gonna fry he say.

Ra-di-ation, ra-di-ation,
    Pass by this lonesome sta-tion.

Oh don't lets me be burned by thay sun,
    Please Sol don'ts you end my fun!
    Likes me radio and TV too,
    Days I been happy am way too few.

Ra-di-ation, ra-di-ation,
    Pass by this lonesome sta-tion!

27. poltiregist

515/575

Blog Posts:
    This may be a coincidence and it may not , but this is definitely not a joke . The magnetic storm expelled from the sun's dark hole made impact . My cell phone quite functioning but by taking the battery out and reinserting it was able to get it back working . My neighboring son called last night to report his television suddenly quite working . I don't know yet if he has been able to get it back into operation . I had a battery charger on a battery on a vehicle last tonight . Today the charger is dead and perhaps ruined . Do any of our other members have any electronic issues from last night ?

Last edited: Aug 27, 2019
  28. poltiregist

515/575

Blog Posts:
    Another phone " I just heard about " went out last night but like mine was able to recover service by working with the battery . That makes two phones , one TV , and a battery charger in about a quarter mile distance went out during the magnetic storm . The TV was eventually brought back up after the owner made a phone call to the service provider . The service provider already knew something had gone wrong but didn't explain what it was .

29. poltiregist

515/575

Blog Posts:
    At this point there have been so many electronic things that have messed up I will not even try to list them anymore . This is interesting . This was a low level magnetic storm . A high level could be catastrophic . So for I have found nobody in my community that knew there was a magnetic storm . If a serious magnet storm hit I wonder if people would be just as clueless and caught unprepared . My personal observation , seems that items outside of dwellings received a higher hit than things under roofs . So for no electrical transformer malfunctions observed .

Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
  30. poltiregist

515/575

Blog Posts:
    The magnetic field is presently wrecking havoc on my computer . Just managed to restore operation . The local school had to cancel computer class yesterday because of computer failures . They didn't have a clue as to what was going on .

31. LastOutlaw

LastOutlaw Legendary Survivalist
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    A number of years ago we were on a huge upswing of solar activity and everything I read stated there were numerous solar flares and they were pointed right at us. When the energy was supposed to hit us nothing really happened and it was said that our atmosphere does a much better job of shielding us than anyone realized at the time. I think our biggest worry about these types of problems will be man made EMP inside our atmosphere. I think we are well protected from the space stuff.

32. poltiregist

515/575

Blog Posts:
    The fact that nobody but me are noticing abnormal occurrences makes me wonder if people around here are simply experiencing a rash of bad luck . Then again it could be like a cheap paint gun I once bought to paint a truck . It spit paint , making some spots bombarded with paint while other spots didn't get much .

33. TMT Tactical

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I think my son got some in San Diego. He kept dropping our phone call.

poltiregist and Radar like this.
  34. Radar

Radar Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    That one website seems to correlate solar events with earth events, like volcanic activity. At least that is my impression. I haven't read or heard enough of his science to know why he thinks that...
    Our wireless internet at work and home has been bad since Monday. The cabled stuff has been okay.

35. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning Poltiregist,

I've got problems here also but am told it's Navy interference from their nearby units using acoustics and electronics instruments. Who knows ? Maybe the whales are swimming ashore because of these same problems.

It is, however, good training for us. In a SHTF situation and onward, individual privately operated gadgets won't be working.

36. poltiregist

515/575

Blog Posts:
    Radar I agree with your analysis . Seems here what is receiving the blunt of the malfunctions are wireless . Wireless tv , wireless phones and wireless computers . My daughter works from home involving giving medical advice by computer . Night before last she had to clock off early as her wireless computer stopped functioning . Maybe today things will be more normal .

37. poltiregist

515/575

Blog Posts:
    A second coronal hole stream due to impact earth this weekend . " Be vigilant " . As Pragmatist said we can view this as a training exercise , for the big one .

38. Radar

Radar Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    But, @poltiregist , I thought I read somewhere that today was also a day to expect solar interference. Sorry, I don't remember where I saw that.
    I forgot about the cell phones. True dat. Have also had interference there, but we did have a thunderstorm the other day, lightning knocked power out but it came back up a short time later. Still, the connections have been slow or no connection.
    Whales are beaching? Didn't hear about that. Oh, a volcano in Russia, that was erupting, the scientist thought that was significant.

39. poltiregist

515/575

Blog Posts:
    Radar I expect you are correct about scientist expecting more solar interference today . I was just assuming we were in a temporary reprieve .

40. Snyper

Snyper Master Survivalist
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    http://www.spaceweather.com/

ARCTIC AURORAS: As predicted, a solar wind stream hit Earth's magnetic field on Aug. 27th. The gentle impact did not spark a geomagnetic storm, but it did create some colorful lights around the Arctic Circle. Alexander Kuznetsov sends this picture from Rovaniemi, Finland:
    540bd5f4c2aaf13560dedd596e3f8f31.jpeg

41. poltiregist

515/575

Blog Posts:
    Our initial forecast put the solar stream at being minor . Now they say it reached moderate intensity . Has anyone heard at what level the next blast is predicted at or how many blasts we can expect ?

Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
  42. Miskondukt

Miskondukt Active Member
      40/58

Blog Posts:
    Here in Vegas, no issues with anything.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  43. Radar

Radar Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    https://www.spaceweatherlive.com/en...onal-hole-faces-earth-strange-solar-wind-data
    "However, what we also talked about last time around was a second coronal hole and that coronal hole is facing our planet today. The coronal hole that is facing our planet today is much bigger in size and while size doesn't always matter, it often does in space weather. In fact, its very likely that today's coronal hole will pack a bigger punch. Looking at the data from STEREO Ahead (I don't know what that means) we see that the solar wind speed went up to 700km/s when the stream passed that space craft. The denser shock ahead of the fast stream pushed the Bz to about -10nT so all in all very decent numbers. What does that mean for us here on Earth? Aurora in a few days time! Active geomagnetic conditions (Kp4) should be possible if we get similar conditions here at Earth and with a bit of luck we might reach minor G1 storm conditions. The solar wind stream flowing from this coronal hole should reach us on Saturday which would be 31 August. Expect the strongest geomagnetic activity on that date and on 1 September."

44. poltiregist

515/575

Blog Posts:
    good work RADAR .

45. poltiregist

515/575

Blog Posts:
    A scary thought . The result of the upcoming magnetic storm having on the electronics of commercial airplanes . Flying this weekend anybody ?

46. Morgan101

Morgan101 Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    I have not had any problems with electronic equipment, nor do I know anybody who has.

TMT Tactical, poltiregist and Radar like this.
  47. Radar

Radar Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    Updated storm predictions.

https://www.swpc.noaa.gov/products/alerts-watches-and-warnings
    Space Weather Message Code: WATA30
    Serial Number: 180
    Issue Time: 2019 Aug 29 1947 UTC

WATCH: Geomagnetic Storm Category G2 Predicted

Highest Storm Level Predicted by Day:
    Aug 30: None (Below G1) Aug 31: G1 (Minor) Sep 01: G2 (Moderate)

THIS SUPERSEDES ANY/ALL PRIOR WATCHES IN EFFECT

NOAA Space Weather Scale descriptions can be found at
    www.swpc.noaa.gov/noaa-scales-explanation

Potential Impacts: Area of impact primarily poleward of 55 degrees Geomagnetic Latitude.
    Induced Currents - Power grid fluctuations can occur. High-latitude power systems may experience voltage alarms.
    Spacecraft - Satellite orientation irregularities may occur; increased drag on low Earth-orbit satellites is possible.
    Radio - HF (high frequency) radio propagation can fade at higher latitudes.
    Aurora - Aurora may be seen as low as New York to Wisconsin to Washington state.

48. poltiregist

515/575

Blog Posts:
    I can not say what caused it , but last Wednesday I know someone that was on a airplane approaching the Denver Colorado airport when it began to fall . This passenger was struggling to keep from blacking out , vision blurred , had to throw up . Of course no explanation was given for this by the airline .

49. F22 Simpilot

F22 Simpilot Master Survivalist
      407/460

Blog Posts:
    No issues here in Colorado. But I guess this weekend should be interesting.

I bought a crystal radio on eBay as part of a way to listen to anyone that uses a vacuum tube ham radio, etc.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  50. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts: