Survival and couponing

Discussion in 'Finding, Identifying, and Preparing Food' started by Deeishere, Jul 1, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Deeishere

Deeishere Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    I am an avid couponer and I think it fits well with being a survivalist. I have seen videos that show people stockpiling food in case of a disaster, war or economic collapse. I believe that we can have a nice stockpile for pennies on the dollar. One thing that I do is take advantage of store sells. I have learned that some sales come in cycles. For instance, during the summer we will see items go on sale like barbecue, mustard, mayo, ketchup etc.... When it's .99 cents I buy as much as I can. I figure why should I pay $2 or $3 dollars for something you can get for much less. One time I had coupons for ketchup bringing my price down to .79 cents per bottle. It's not hard to learn how to coupon. Unlike what some people think, you can get a lot of food items for a cheaper price other than personal items and household supplies. Sometimes stores will clearance out an item to bring in a newer design. I try to buy up food items with a long expiration date.

2. lonewolf

lonewolf Legendary Survivalist Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I don't get many coupons in the UK, but I always buy stocks of stuff when its on offer, like say Branston Baked Beans which I love, I always buy them in 4 packs when they are half price, that way we can buy more at a cheaper price.

3. pwarbi

pwarbi New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    Couponing and other forms of saving money are all part of planning for the future and so while I wouldn't say that by wanting to save money makes you have a survivalists mindset, it certainly won't hurt and it shows that you are preparing for the future, even if it might be the short term future. I'm also in the UK @lonewolf and you're right when you say that we don't get nearly half as many coupons as what they seem to do in other parts of the world.

Maybe it's seen as atypically British trait that we'd rather pay full price for something and even if coupons are offered they wouldn't be used, and in some ways I probably agree with that, because even when I have seen coupons offered for certain products I use, I haven't really took advantage of them.

4. lonewolf

lonewolf Legendary Survivalist Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    people are too busy these days, I don't think most people in the UK would use coupons if they had them, they always seem so rushed.

pwarbi likes this.
  5. DecMikashimota

DecMikashimota New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    I have thought about it in the past but I was a little turned off by having to sift through papers for deals. It seemed more time consuming than it needed to be. Something less tedious than having to manually cut coupons out of multiple promotional papers would be right up my ally. I am sure there's an app or something that can quicken the process.

6. MrsVanWinkle

MrsVanWinkle New Member
      1/23

Blog Posts:
    It does seem like couponing is not what it used to be. I certainly don't see a whole lot of coupons that are worth bothering with. Mostly they seem to be on brand name products that I wouldn't normally buy. However, the idea of stocking up on certain essential items while they are on sale does make sense to me. Maybe ketchup and mustard aren't exactly what I'd want to stock up on for a disaster/apocalyptic scenario, but I can see how cans of beans and pulses or dry goods such as rice, beans and other grains would be ideal.

7. amelia88

amelia88 Well-Known Member
      75/99

Blog Posts:
    I am always one for getting a better deal if I can. My parents always would say "the money is better in your pocket than somebody else's!" when it came to getting bargains and I think that has really stuck in my head.

I need to get better with the idea of coupons though. Or even just doing things like structuring my grocery shopping better to take into account sales and also seasonal produce. If I'm cooking with fruits and veggies that are in season, it ends up a ton cheaper than buying them out of season.