Survival And Isolation In Antarctic

Discussion in 'Survival Stories' started by Pragmatist, Apr 22, 2020.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    https://www.wbur.org/onpoint/2020/04/22/radio-diary-lessons-on-survival-and-isolation-in-antarctica

Good afternoon all,

(Not my survival story; just a link re a Harvard researcher.) Article about Dr Marion Dierickex

Am not sure how link is set up. There's a couple of good pictures with links to her resume /cv but missed other material.

Besides Antarctica, she is also involved in preps to send nanocrafts to the Alpha Centauri stellar system.

Her yearly work trips to Antarctica means she has connections or the parents are real wealthy. It's somewhat competitive to get down there, even once.

As an aside, one of my better quality survival manuals here is the National Science Foundation's Field Manual "Survival in Antarctica".

TMT Tactical likes this.
  2. varuna

varuna Tree killer & a cat person
      380/460

Blog Posts:
    She doesn't strike me as someone who is good on her knees or even goddess look alike in lingerie, so it must be due to having rich parent

My view in survival in desert environment (Antarctica) is similar to what temperate person being put in tropical rainforest environment. There is no way I could physically adapt.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  3. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning Varuna,

RO Polar ice cap L !

Her parents are indirectly financing her "scientific research trips". The psychiatrists would probably label her with a variety of arrested mental development problems.

Both you and I - and similarly situated advanced-level Preppers - could adopt to extreme cold weather. After the Bolshevik revolution, circa 1922, many forced migrations occurred. The new locales were in "Siberia". A few survived and had children.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  4. Dalewick

Dalewick Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Was sent to Antarctica once for Uncle Sam. Spent one week there inside and when we could, we ran to our plane to leave. NEVER GOING BACK!!! Was there in their summer and realize, without being outfitted to survive that cold and wind, you die. Very secure location because who in there right mind goes there. The penguins can keep it.

Dale

TMT Tactical, varuna and lonewolf like this.
  5. varuna

varuna Tree killer & a cat person
      380/460

Blog Posts:
    Mentally maybe, but physically I strongly doubt (at least for me). Back in the early 90's, I've spend 10 days at Houston and afterward at Disneyland FL before continuing to mainland Europe during summer. And both place are too cold for me even during summer.

Exactly my point. Although the penguins might get evicted by petroleum industry if its ever come to that (albeit unlikely)

TMT Tactical and Dalewick like this.
  6. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good afternoon Varuna,

Of course, I meant - conceptually - .

Specifically, I'm an old man with some ailments. I have trouble just living here.

I remember hearing stories about Japanese army soldiers captured by the Soviet Red Army toward the end of WWII. The Soviets brought them in their IJA tropical uniforms northward toward Magadan, USSR. Most died cutting trees without proper clothing and long hours, little food, but a few did live.

TMT Tactical likes this.