Survival Gun Article

Discussion in 'Guns, Knives, Tools, Etc.' started by Pragmatist, Jul 21, 2020.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    https://www.fieldandstream.com/stor...uns-for-hunting-surival-and-personal-defense/

Good morning all,

Per ...

I do not know this subject matter.

Still, I'm posting link with belief that it will be of value to some Forum Members.

My few comments;

Some of the shotguns can be used to launch lines, shot flares,shot nose makers to chase birds away from eg airstrip, birdbath reserved for mosquitoes, ...

Personally, I rely on poetry and books to protect me combined with no need for laughter and lovin' ... definitely disdainful ... Friendship causes both pain and friend wants to trade stuff when I'd rather rest.

wally and TMT Tactical like this.
  2. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    if I wanted a firearm I think I'd like one of those pump action shotguns.

TMT Tactical and watcherchris like this.
  3. watcherchris

watcherchris Legendary Survivalist
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I like a pump shotgun..but also have what is called a combination gun..

One in .357 magnum over the top of a 20 gauge shotgun

Another in .22 long rifle over the top of a 20 gauge shotgun.

Also own a lever rifle in .357 magnum and have it as a compliment to my Ruger GP 100 in the same calibration.

The very nice and appealing thing about this rifle ...is that like the revolver...it will handle .38 Special bullets and also the .357 Magnum ammunition as well...giving it greater flexibility.
    Can reload for .38 Special as well as .357 Magnum here.

Also a pump shotgun is flexible in the types of ammunition one puts in it....from bird shot to buck shot to slugs...

Very nice thing to me about a pump shotgun...you control the action from high power to low power shells.

Have this Mossberg Patrol rifle which is very close to the Scout type rifle...in .308 calibration. I can reload for this as well.

https://www.mossberg.com/product/mvp-patrol-rifle-27738/

This kind of set up reminds me of the Lee Enfield rifles with a ten round capacity.

Oh..and while I am at it..I also own a Ishapore Enfield rifle in .308 calibration...but it is a heavy rifle after this Mossberg patrol rifle.

Watcherchris
    Not an Ishmaelite.

Caribou and TMT Tactical like this.
  4. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I can't say I agree with all the choices. The Mossberg 500, yes. The AR15, yes, just not that particular manufacture (too expensive). For lever action, I would go with the new Henry Big Boy X model in 357. Bolt action scout sized rifles, there are many brands to choose from and they are a LOT less money. As far as the Wilson combat 300 Ham'R, I do take exception of one caliber working well for "Marmots to Moose". 95 grain bullet seems a bit over kill for a marmot and 150 grains seems a bit puny for a moose. JM2C

watcherchris likes this.
  5. watcherchris

watcherchris Legendary Survivalist
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    Yeah TMT Tactical...that is exactly what I have is the Henry rifle in .357 Magnum.

However.......

Since I've made the purchase of mine ...Henry has come out with the same rifle in the same calibration but with a loading gate in the side of the receiver in addition to the loading tube of the traditional Henry rifles.

This particular model has a synthetic stock...black...as well...very pratical...no bling rifle..

They are pricey for what they are ..but to me practical and reliable..

One of the big pluses to me is that .38 Special and .357 Magnum can be found coast to coast in this country.

So too with .308 and 30.06 as well.

Nothing so exotic that one has to go to specialty stores to get ammunition.

And for the reloaders out here and those planning to so do...

The 30.06...and the .308 are the parent brass cases out which many of todays calibers have come.

And in like manner....the .223 as well as the 5.56mm brass case.

The .308 is basically a necked down 30.06...and the .243 is a necked down .308 Winchester..

And so it is with the .223/5.56mm brass case.

I own a .41 Magnum pistol and so too the rifle for it. This is not a very common calibration...hence....I have taken the liberty of putting back lots of brass for this caliber...so too bullets.

Those of you who find yourselves in such and situation with uncommon and unavailable ammunition stocks would do well to stock up on ammo as well as the components to roll you own if you have that capability

My non Ishmaelite .02

Watcherchris

TMT Tactical likes this.
  6. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    Watcherchris, Good point on the common calibers. During my young and dumb days, I got a 25-06 in trade. Nice shooting rifle but my god, the cost of the ammo and having to order it weeks / months in advance was a deal breaker. A box of ammo cost between 2 to 3 times as much as a 30-06 and I had to schedule my range visit around the ammo deliveries. I traded that rifle for my 243 Sako and still pat myself on the back for a great trade.

7. arctic bill

arctic bill Master Survivalist
      360/460

Blog Posts:
    Chris, I like the 308 in bolt action very good for hunting moose,deer,bear or or long range
    defense, but the others are basically hand gun rounds, only good for defense up close.

poltiregist likes this.
  8. wally

wally Master Survivalist
      280/345

Blog Posts:
    all good choices its hard to say which one i would want to have if i could only have one....

TMT Tactical likes this.
  9. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    The list in the article, I wasn't particularly impressed with it. Sure you need a deer rifle and a shotgun, but some of the other choices, hmmmm ....

Article seemed to be directed at only shooting people. Grim topic that. Even a suburbanite could use a .22 LR with subsonic ammo to nuke the occasional squirrel. A .22 mag. rifle would come in handy for nuking feral dogs. I put a laser on a .22 mag lever pistol for the purpose of killing dogs.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  10. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    This article and seems nobody else either mentions the FN-FAL. There's you a battle rifle.

Springfield is slipping I hear. I was admiring a tanker carbine (Sprngfld M1A platform, they also produce the SOCOM) and the gun store owner told me about the folk he knew who were having major issues with them. Also have seen complaints online, I have. There are other manufacturers of SOCOMs other than Springfield. Before buying, do your own research. Never worship one manufacturer.

TMT Tactical likes this.