Survival Meds And "how Do You Carry Them" 24/7/365

Discussion in 'The Hangout' started by Sourdough, Sep 29, 2019.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Sourdough

Sourdough "eleutheromaniac"
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Survival Meds and How do you carry them 24/7/365

Well Shit, pending further tests, it seems I will be carrying survival medication. Yep.......getting old sucks.

Caribou and TMT Tactical like this.
  2. Sourdough

515/575

Blog Posts:
    Now.........I could use some advise. I need to be in possession of some little itty-bitty tiny pills 24/7/365. (Yes, this is a new experience for me)

So......I am open to suggestions, on how to carry these pills, given that I live in the wilderness, and don't need to carry keys or wallet.

So........till a better idea is put forth I ordered some very small metal pill carriers, with the pending rough idea that I would wear it around my neck on a leather thong thingie.

a.) Is there a better method to carry.....???
    b.) Is a leather shoelace the best necklace.......???
    c.) Which is gooder Brass or Stainless or Titanium or Aluminum.

3. Sourdough

515/575

Blog Posts:
  4. Sourdough

515/575

Blog Posts:
  5. Alaskajohn

Alaskajohn Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    I think neck carry would work well. With the environment you live in, getting a waterproof one is important. Some meds don’t do well once frozen. Neck carry can help keeping them from freezing if worn against the body.

Caribou, Sourdough and TMT Tactical like this.
  6. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I carry any pills in an 18th century tin lined brass pill container in my waistcoat pocket.
    82bf81f458a80b1071b5b5ce3c36f177.jpeg 82bf81f458a80b1071b5b5ce3c36f177.jpeg
    Keith.

Caribou, TMT Tactical and Sourdough like this.
  7. Sourdough

515/575

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the reply. I appreciate any suggestions, I really do. I what to have this when I am naked in my sleeping bag, in a tent, or in my under shorts, going outside to pee at 3:AM.

The goal is to have this instantly accessible in seconds 24/7/365. Now it is in my watch pocket, but I want to figure a way to have it attached to my body.........always.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2019
    Caribou, TMT Tactical and Keith H. like this.
  8. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Keep them dry. Use a container with a seal, like a rubber ring / waterproof seal. Hurricane matches have such seals. I've got lots and lots of hurricane matches -- they kinda burn TOO long, wow.

Meds keep for a surprisingly long time. I've got family members who are insulin-dependent. I cannot even begin to describe how much research I've put into this. In my home town, my last doctor was ex-military / Latter Day Saint / survivalist / had full-auto weapons. We researched and researched and researched; I had letters going into Eli-Lilly, ... They reconstitute insulin powder into the liquid vials before sending their insulin products to market; they do not keep them in liquid form. Now note, they will NOT sell the powder. They've got tons of insulin powder that will last and last. They at some point will not respond to your letters/emails any longer. Eli Lilly has multiple sites, yet that does NOT comfort me ... nor that physician. My physician, when out of country, routinely re-constituted medications -- especially antibiotics.

Saving grace: Temp that will semi-safely store insulin is around 55 degree F. Refrigerator temps not absolutely necessary. Mountain streams run at 55 degree Fahrenheit. Thus insulin will sorta-keep for a year, maybe longer. Think too, reverse thermocouple refrigerators.

According to that physician, may Almighty God reward him eternally, tablets of meds keep one long time longer that spec.-ed to do so. He's one to know. Again, God's blessings be upon him. What a righteous man! This coming from a fallen soul (me).

Make-do refrigerator that works for Africans even in their hot market places:
    https://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Pot-in-a-Pot-Refrigerator

Caribou, GateCrasher and TMT Tactical like this.
  9. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I see, I sleep in my waistcoat when out bush. No fun having to leap out of bed in the middle of the night stark naked:)
    Keith.

TMT Tactical and Sourdough like this.
  10. Dalewick

Dalewick Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    after my heart attack I had to keep nitro pills with me all the time (heart healed back 99%) and I got a small aluminum vial that had a water tight rubber O ring seal at the top. I put one on my keys and kept one on a dog tag necklace around my neck. They work real well. Can usually get them at a pharmacy or order them.

https://countycomm.com/

Dale

TMT Tactical and Sourdough like this.
  11. GateCrasher

GateCrasher Expert Member
      247/345

Blog Posts:
    I looked into the dry powder form of insulin a couple years back, can't find my notes now but it wasn't as simple as just adding the powder to water/saline for the kinds I found. The insulin powder was only water soluble at very acidic pH levels, so you'd need to add some thing like hydrochloric acid to dissolve it in water first, and then raise the pH back to near neutral (maybe with a phosphate-buffered sodium or sodium bicarbonate solution?) afterwards to be suitable for injection.

The dry powder form is available through some chemical supply dealers.
    https://www.sigmaaldrich.com/catalog/product/sigma/91077c?lang=en&region=US
    https://www.medchemexpress.com/Insulin_human_.html

If my math is right, 1 gram of the powder is about 28,000 IU with a typical daily dose of around 30-50 IU for a 170 pound person. Or about 640 days worth per gram of insulin roughly, I think.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  12. Snyper

Snyper Master Survivalist
      330/345

Blog Posts:
  13. Sourdough

515/575

Blog Posts:
    They also make finger rings that hold pills........And a bracelets that hold pills.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  14. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    my first thought would be in a pouch on my belt.

Caribou, TMT Tactical and Sourdough like this.
  15. Morgan101

Morgan101 Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    My choice would be the nitroglycerin pill holder necklace. Purely a personal choice, but I do not like bracelets or rings. A necklace is more comfortable to me. Any of the alloys you mentioned would be a good choice. Aluminum is usually lighter and less expensive. I might look for a sturdier chain than what comes with it. If it is a 24/7/365 device I wouldn't want a cheap chain securing it. My 2 cents.

Dalewick, TMT Tactical and Sourdough like this.
  16. Sourdough

515/575

Blog Posts:
    Accept that for 24 hour access , it could be a problem wearing belt to bed.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  17. Sourdough

515/575

Blog Posts:
    Yes........that is the next quandary. Any metal chain would be a problem at 34 degrees below zero, exposed to air and skin. I have "Kevlar" shoelaces, that I am going to try first.

18. Sourdough

515/575

Blog Posts:
    Well they (The metal pill containers) started arriving today. They are impressive for the quality of the threads and the overall machining.

I expected that I would like the smallest the best. And one is very-very small, but I kind'a fear it may not weigh enough to stay in place if worn around the neck. This might be a excellent time to consider a neck knife.

19. Caribou

Caribou Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    I use a container for blood sugar test strips. It is airtight and water tight and a bit smaller than the old film canisters. The lid is hinged and years of use neither has affected the seal nor the hinge. I carry it in a pocket but you might want a small pouch hun around your neck.

TMT Tactical likes this.