Survival Outside of Traditional Options

Discussion in 'General Q&A' started by DaBozzLady, May 20, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. DaBozzLady

DaBozzLady Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    So, I know there are always home remedies and things that you can try when traditional methods can't or don't want to be used. For example, I am getting over a bad toothache and don't have insurance. So instead of going to a dentist or the ER, I decided to Google and try a few things I heard would work. The warm salt water flush was temporary. Peppermint tea also helped, even the steam, but that too was temporary. I also heard whiskey works but I didn't have any at the time. What really helped was whole cloves on the area for about two days and voila!! It went away. Eventually I will go to a dentist, but for right now, I am using what works.

So what home remedies do you all have or suggest that works for medical issues? Thoughts, suggestions?

2. Endure

Endure Expert Member
      130/140

Blog Posts:
    I know that honey is quite valuable and one of the most common natural remedies. Is proven that Honey has antibacterial properties, thus you can mend your wounds smearing honey over it. Also it maintains a moist wound condition, and its high viscosity helps to provide a protective barrier to prevent infection. But is quite unlikely anyone preparing for a trip to wilderness could bring honey or natural remedies instead a traditional first aid kit. Also to come across with a honeycomb is somewhat unusual and only available in warm places like tropical jungles.

3. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    Pine tar honey find a good herblist book at used book store

4. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    wife's a herbalist.

5. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    We all pretty well trained on what can be used and how when and why we have a good collection of books on herbs plants old meds and how to make.

6. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    I know very little in this area and I cant see me starting now!

7. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    maybe now is the time to give it some thought, before all the prescription and OTC drugs run out.

8. DaBozzLady

DaBozzLady Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    Thank you for the ideas and posts. That's what I was thinking lonewolf...if something were to happen and we didn't have access to prescription or OTC or even traditional forms of medication, what would we do? So I will definitely be looking into more information about the herbs. Also, with as much stuff that is put into what we eat to what we take or are prescribed, it's worthwhile to know that there are all natural options that work just as good or even better. I'm not saying I'll put the Big Boys out of business, but having the knowledge to be able to provide and take care of myself will be worthwhile. As they say, knowledge is definitely power!!

So Mod is there a forum about the herbs or old meds ? OR do you have any books or suggestions as to where to look or start? BTW, I have already checked out the Herbalism link posted in the forum.

9. Lisa

Lisa Active Member
      43/47

Blog Posts:
    Ginger is good for nausea, slightly saline water is good for dehydration. Manuka honey has antibacterial properties. Maggots in a septic wound is also a great treatment as they will eat any rotten flesh and leave the good flesh.

10. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    all our medicines started out as herbal remedies, pharmaceutical companies just took the active part and used that, later on they replicated it using chemicals, I don't like pharmaceutical drugs they have too many side effects.
    once the supply of these drugs is used up we will go back to using natural ones like we did before.

11. DaBozzLady

DaBozzLady Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    Got it and definitely makes sense. My Dad actually found a pharmacy not too far from where he lives that deals with all natural and home remedies. It sure helped when I had a horrible cold for about 3 weeks and he brought me some stuff like life everlasting tea, etc. Sweat was the key though. But in a matter of days, I was better.

And you are absolutely right about the side effects. Reminds me of the commercials where it is advocating for a medicine that will relieve one thing but if you read the fine print, it causes about 10 other issues. That's ok, I'll stick with something else.

12. cluckeyo

cluckeyo Well-Known Member
      95/140

Blog Posts:
    This is a good discussion. What to do about replacing our all important meds, in case of a catastrophe is something I had not thought of. I just ran a search on one of my meds and really did not find any good information on a natural or herbal replacement. The only other place I really know to look is Amazon. Because they have good customer reviews on their books. There maybe something there that would be helpful. An important thing to consider.

13. lexinonomous

lexinonomous Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    Personally, I try to stick to home remedies as much as possible, but sometimes there are just no other options than to go to a doctor. A few remedies that have worked for me are clove oil for a tooth ache, basil for bug repellent, and baking soda and peroxide for teeth whitening. Most of my remedies are more-so useful things to have while in a bind. The only remedy that I've used when it comes to being sick is for an ear infection. When I experience ear infections, I will poor apple cider vinegar into my ear to ease the pain. It works great, but it's definitely not the permanent solution.