survival rates.

Discussion in 'Survival Stories' started by lonewolf, May 23, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    i read a report several years ago, a survey was done in America asking people how much food they had and how long they would survive.
    the replies make interesting reading.
    55% of people said they had LESS than 3 days worth of food in the house at any one time.
    21% said they would survive for less than 1WEEK.
    28% said they would survive for less than 2 WEEKS.
    75% said they would be DEAD within 2 MONTHS.

2. Correy

Correy Expert Member
      141/149

Blog Posts:
    Is this based on what amount of stocked food people have lying around or did it also calculate their capability to go out and find food if they can?
    Because there are very limited scenarios that would force a person to live in a bunker or locked in their house, and those involve the extreme scenarios of radioactive fallout, or being in a state of siege with outside insurgents. A tsunami for example might even tear down the house altogether if you're not using an underground bunker. So everything you've stocked might be awashed away along with yourself. Survival rates in this case: slim.

People must have a backup plan other than stocking food, for the propable scenario where things never return to normal...

3. QtheMyst

QtheMyst Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    This is pretty interesting. I'm surprised this many Americans have so little food in their homes though! I thought we all stocked up on everything! I have never had less than 3 days of food in my house, even when I was in college living in the dorms! Hmmm, maybe I stock up too much? Fascinating stats @lonewolf

4. Endure

Endure Expert Member
      130/140

Blog Posts:
    If survival is a major concern fo these people. Self sustainance is the way to go. Stocked food is, of course, limited, and really it doesn't matter how much food you will have given an indefinite critical situation, like, for example getting lost with slim chances of being rescued soon. Really

5. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I think it was based on how much food they had in the house, and assuming no re supply.
    the whole point of having a food supply(stored food) is not only that we have food but that we don't have to go out and look for food and put ourselves at risk.
    the general idea here in the UK, is that our stored food is as a "back up" supply when we cant get fresh, or its just not safe to go out.
    we don't generally in the UK have the storage-or basements- in which to keep 30 years worth of canned goods, a years supply is the most we can hope to achieve.

6. ukpreppergurl

ukpreppergurl Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    I'm good for around 5/6 months 'generally' but I'd be pretty fed up by the end as I am top heavy on meal 'bulkers' such as pasta/rice etc., and this is the area I need to focus on over the coming months to get things balanced out again.

7. acheno84

acheno84 Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    Well, I haven't been to the store for a bit but I normally have at least a month worth of food in my cabinets. Now, if I were to have an emergency situation, I could easily make that food stash last me longer than that. This actually concerns me a little that there are so many of us (myself included at the moment) that would just wither away of they only relied on what they have in their cabinets now. For the 75% that said they would be dead in 2 months, you should probably join this forum to learn some quick tips on how to make it longer than that.

8. remnant

remnant Expert Member
      190/230

Blog Posts:
    Most people don't envision worst case scenarios when planning even for a business. This is due to the easy availability of foodstuffs from the various stores. This lack of preparedness can also be attributed to the fact that government agencies usually give forecasts or warnings of adverse conditions when they are about to happen and this is the time most are likely to stock up.