Survival Shelters

Discussion in 'Natural, Temporary, and Permanent Shelter' started by Pragmatist, Sep 8, 2020.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  2. poltiregist

poltiregist Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    --- This is a video going back to history and folklore of people living in hollow trees . A documentary of people living in fallen tree logs , tree stumps , and hollow standing trees are presented .

TMT Tactical likes this.
  3. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Hint-hing, nudge-nudge, timber rattlers like these places also.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  4. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Walking sticks; for the elderly? Also for the wise. Take your walking stick and sick it past the log you intent to straddle and cross. Let your walking stick take the bite, the poison. Rattlers like logs.

Rattlers, "tastes lick chicken".

Take your snake with a .410 revolver or shotgun. I like the 20 gauge.

Rattlesnake Roundup, Texas. Pronounced, "Teuuuuxxxxussssss".

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=Rattlesnake+Roundup&t=newext&atb=v1-1&iax=videos&ia=videos

The PETA people can just go #### themselves. They iz inferior limp-wrist psych-cases.
    https://listverse.com/2013/05/30/10-insane-facts-about-peta/

God bless Texas!

TMT Tactical likes this.
  5. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    walking sticks as such are fairly useless, normally too short to be of any use, wife uses a hiking pole , and I use a wooden staff I made myself on uneven ground.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  6. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Too, there's the pole-dancing girls.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  7. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I often carry a walking stick these days. I also ocassionally carry a shephards croock. They are about the same except that the walking stick is 3 feet long and the shephards crook is about 7 feet long. Don't mistake my walking stick for a gentlemans cane, It is indeed a crooked neck cane but it is made from heavy and very strong wood and is used here for handling hogs. I got it to use when I had my first hip replacement. I could lean on it and if I went down it helped me get back up. I'm a pretty big guy at 6'2" and 235 pounds then so a little gentlemans cane just wouldn't cut it.

It is a great weapon and a very handy tool when camping. If I need to hang something from limb it allows me to reach up and pull the limb down into my reach. I can reach and pull on a basketball hoop to give you some idea of the reach. It is handy when climbing a steep hill to hook the base of a bush and help me pull up. Where it is better than a shephards crook or just long hiking pole is that when I need to use my hands I can hang it on my arm and free my hand for use.

I also like the long walking or hiking pole if I'm not going to be doing much other than walking on a mostly flat path. It gives me more reach for handling things like snapping dogs or a snake that wants to be agressive. When I was recovering from my second hip replacement I put a nail in the end of it and collected aluminum cans during my walks. It cleaned up the roads and made me a few bucks.

I have a heavy stick in all of my cars. You never know when you might need to beat the crap out of something or pry on something you know. I like to make them and make a lot of them. I cut a sapling while it is young and strip off the bark and limbs. I then hang it with a weight on the bottom to keep it straight for up to a year. When it is well dried I cut it to size sand it and seal it with a penetrating type of oil sealer.

Its funny, I used to walk a lot in the late night to early morning before sunrise hours. I never once had anyone give me a problem. I guess that a big man with a big stick just doesn't look like someone you want to mess with unless you have a gun. I didn't always limit my walks to the better parts of town.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  8. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    In Southern Appalachia, a walking "stick" is what others call a staff. A whole lot of men of my region have to have canes due to the effects of heavy labor. I've worked since age 12 and my skeleton is gone -- not in any way rare in the South. In the iron mining camp where my dad and his brothers were born, the men went down in the mines. The women and children worked the belt lines coming out of the mines -- they separated ore-bearing rocks from useless rocks. Too in the South, men get skin cancers due to having worked out in the sun perpetually. I've had multiple squamous cell carcinomas removed.

In the mountains, staffs help you keep your balance on steep slopes where only mountain goats should have to travel. Staffs also serve to protect against snakebite.

In my day, if a preteen was seen carrying a gun, it meant nothing. In the country stores where my dad had operations (gambling), you'd see very poor children come in to buy five or seven rounds of .22 ammunition. This ammo was to bring-in stew meat; squirrels, rabbits, whatever.

Some men would beat their kids with their walking sticks. My mom's dad told me that once as a boy, he thought the beating he was getting from hiss father was going to kill him. He was preparing his soul for death. My papaw would beat my dad and his brothers with his razor strap.

My dad and his brothers weren't gonna work the mines, especially after having survived the war. They just weren't. To attempt to cross these people would get you killed.

Psalm 23:4
    "Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me."

TMT Tactical likes this.
  9. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    "2 countries divided by a common language." George Bernard Shaw.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  10. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    "Walking schtick": The repertoire of a traveling Jewish comedian

TMT Tactical likes this.