Survival Tool- Tomahawk ?

Discussion in 'Guns, Knives, Tools, Etc.' started by sekelbos, Apr 1, 2019.

0/5, 0 votes

1. sekelbos

sekelbos Well-Known Member
      87/115

Blog Posts:
    This picture made me think...
    We all know about the tactical properies and uses of the Tomahawk.
    Do you think there is a place for it in survival "hunting"?

Studio_20190401_225202.jpg

TMT Tactical likes this.
  2. sekelbos

sekelbos Well-Known Member
      87/115

Blog Posts:
    Not that easy to hunt medium animals up close and personal, but in a pinch, it will work..(or not?)

TMT Tactical and Morgan101 like this.
  3. Morgan101

Morgan101 Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    I have never used one as an actual tool. My gut says " yes it will work " on the right size game, and just like anything, it will require practice to be proficient. I have never been to keen on throwing a weapon. If you don't kill the target you may never get it back. JMHO.

I would be reasonably confident that Keith will be able to give us a very detailed explanation on if it will work; and on how to properly use a tomahawk, and I am just as certain that he has forgotten more about tomahawks than I will ever know. He is the resident expert.

TMT Tactical and sekelbos like this.
  4. Sonofliberty

Sonofliberty Master Survivalist
      407/460

Blog Posts:
    For killing medium animals without a gun or a bow/crossbow, I would first choose a spear. I am not a 'hawk fan. For chopping and other working tasks, a good hatchet is better imo. I have a nice estwing I like Trying to chop with a 'hawk requires more effort/calories expended for the same amount of wood processed imo. Even in combat with a two legged predator, I would prefer my hatchet over a hawk, but imo I would pick my KBar first if I couldn't use a gun for whatever reason. Honestly though, if I had access to one, I would pick a spear for that too.

sekelbos and TMT Tactical like this.
  5. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I would not go anywhere without my tomahawk, but then my tomahawk is a pretty standard square poll tomahawk & not the so called "combat tomahawk" shown in the original post.
    I use my tomahawk for shelter construction, trap construction, hammering in trap & shelter stakes, throwing for recreation & hunting practice, butchering game & self defence. It can also be used for offence & as a scraper for preparing hides. The helve is easy to make & replace & does not need a wedge to secure it in the head.
    A so called "combat tomahawk" is of no use to me.
    85cc116bf18399bc689bea6c929b0133.jpeg

Keith.

Morgan101, TMT Tactical and sekelbos like this.
  6. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I guess it would always work as well as a rabbit stick but there are so many better choices for rabbit hunting.

Keith H. and TMT Tactical like this.
  7. Sonofliberty

Sonofliberty Master Survivalist
      407/460

Blog Posts:
    I like a good "rabbit stick", but I use them for birds too. Throwing one into a flock will almost certainly net you 1 or more meals.

Keith H. and TMT Tactical like this.
  8. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I like the Apatchie star style for birds. It is two sticks tied in an X shape. The bent sticks are more than just sticks. They like a boomerang use their shape to allow longer throws.

05129b0e0e81a941c74fea426ccadc84.jpeg

A tomahawk is a wonderful compromise tool that lends itself to so many uses. It is light and easier to carry and throw than a hatchet. When you slide the head off the shaft it is a knife similar to the Alaskan Ulu.

It is a weapon that can chop wood, skin a deer or rabbit, slice and dice while cooking and the handle makes a handy club or throwing stick. I like them, especially because if you break the handle you can quickly make a replacement with the head as your tool.

Add a small poll to the back side and it is a hammer for driving pegs in the ground and such small tasks around the camp.

Attached Files:

Keith H., sekelbos and TMT Tactical like this.