Survivalism: Can It Drive You Crazy?

Discussion in 'Mental Preparedness' started by richj8am30, Jul 6, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. richj8am30

richj8am30 Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    I was watching a program where the Survival expert, seemed somewhat nutty. I noticed then that it was called survival of the fittest not the sanest for a reason. Do you think that living this lifestyle for too long can have a bad effect on your mental state?

2. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I think that if one becomes paranoid about survival, then it could be mentally unhealthy yes.

3. CivilDefense

CivilDefense Expert Member
      235/345

Blog Posts:
    Possibly, but the same can be said for many other ways of life. I know it does not have a negative impact in our household; on the contrary, it gives peace of mind that we are ready, or getting ready, for disasters. Those in the preparedness community of are often castigated as "doom and gloom" types. I reject that notion because we are optimistic that with the right training, the right skills, the right tools, ample supplies, and a "come hell or high water" attitude, we can make it through what this world throws at us.

richj8am30 likes this.
  4. DaBozzLady

DaBozzLady Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    I think your question can really apply to anything. With moderation, comes ease. Anything that affects that can go one of two ways-positively or negatively. Knowledge is critical to survival but the will to survive is even more so. It's all about the choices you make and how you decide to deal with those choices. It all boils down to your own mental state when you attempt to prep and survive or not consider other alternatives until SHTF. You have to be mentally prepared and equipped to handle anything in life. Survival doesn't make you a mental case, it just makes you realistic. Refusing to accept that your situation is helpless is about surviving. You can either choose to survive or not. One saying that I like is "Survival means being able to control your fears, manage your emotions and put your ego in check".

richj8am30 likes this.
  5. lonewolf

lonewolf Legendary Survivalist Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    survivalism is about doing something to ensure you and yours can survive in an emergency, NOT doing anything about your survival and leaving it in the hands of other people is what is crazy.

richj8am30 likes this.
  6. richj8am30

richj8am30 Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    So Survivalism is the act of being vigilant and assertive. My viewpoint was based on the appearance of one man on TV. It was not substantial, but you all make perfect sense. The only people who would go through anything that PTSD or paranoia related is if they had been unprepared at some point.

7. ProNine

ProNine Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    Survivalism is a movement of individuals or groups (called survivalists or preppers) who are actively preparing for emergencies. How does preparing make you crazy? You're simply defending yourself against something that could go bad. For example, many students prepare for tests. Are they crazy for studying for their tests? No, they're simply doing what they can before the event takes place to make sure the most desired/best outcome takes place. This is the same case, we are preparing for a highly plausible scenario which can strike at any moment.

8. tb65

tb65 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    It depends on the persons point of view. If your dealing with someone who's always thinking doomsday is going to be tomorrow they can be difficult to be around. If someone has a positive attitude about survival which is necessary, you won't see a lot of mental instability. I have never been in a doomsday type of situation before, but I'm pretty sure if your a nutcase you won't last too long. Being optimistic prepares you for challenges ahead , and optimistic people are the best kind to be around.

9. CivilDefense

CivilDefense Expert Member
      235/345

Blog Posts:
    Agreed, completely. I always shake my head at those that claim preparedness types are crazy, yet seem to think all the bozos who waited the last minute to get ready, for example, a coming hurricane are somehow the picture of sanity. At the end of the day, if you are an adult, you and only you are responsible for your life. To depend on anyone else is a pretty good definition of irresponsibility.

lonewolf likes this.
  10. Daniel Sylvester

Daniel Sylvester New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    It's always better to go into the wild as a group to be honest, living alone for a long time can definitely be stressful. depends on the person.

lonewolf likes this.
  11. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    your right it depends on the person, being alone isn't the problem for me, I find other people are the problem.

12. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Perhaps if we are discussing this we should also consider the people who are just not cut out for the type of existence post shtf. Personally I have never been a "possessions" type of person, yes I have tools & equipment that I treasure, but these are connected to my simple off grid lifestyle. For someone who lives in the city, prepping or no, the reality of living a primitive lifestyle after shtf could be just too much to handle.
    Keith.

13. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    many people even on prepper forums have said to me " if the SHTF I don't want to survive" and many either would not want to survive or could not survive because they just don't know how to. the general agreement on survival rates is that it will be quite low.

14. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    its not survivalism that drives me crazy, its modern life and people attitudes that makes me yearn for a simpler time.

15. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    Survivalism: Can It Drive You Crazy?

No you need to be a little crazy to start with! as for one you are swimming against the tide and going against most of what the herd considers normal!

lonewolf and PriscillaKing like this.
  16. PriscillaKing

PriscillaKing Expert Member
      133/173

Blog Posts:
    People with vested interests in selling us more gadgets, as opposed to more independence from gadgets, can say what they like.

When my parents "went back to the land" in the 1970s, they'd hardly ever really left. I think my grandparents would be surprised to see anyone still driving a car (they expected the fad to die) or private people actually using computers (they thought of computers as huge expensive things that didn't work). Lots of people thought the Second Coming would happen in or before the year 2000. Nevertheless I didn't grow up thinking about surviving the apocalypse so much as about being frugal and not overinvested in gadgets and mod. con.

The more expensive products & services I can do without, the easier it is to survive a period of low payment, without being tempted to sell the land, welfare-cheat, go into debt or some other form of vice or crime. If war or natural disasters drive others into survival mode too, at least that ought to be easier for me than it'll be for some people...

...Though last summer (without electricity) and now (waiting to find a compatible "old" hard drive) I acutely miss my old faithful desktop computer--no modem, Windows ME, floppy disks, and my novel manuscript stored on it!

Keith H. likes this.
  17. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Good post, excellent! Thank you.
    Keith.

PriscillaKing likes this.
  18. Deathisue

Deathisue New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    Yes, can be mental unhealthy, the reason for that is because we are social beings living in a controlled environment without many dangers, when we expose ourselves to nature or risk situations we can become more aggressive and even paranoid because of the unpredictable environment that generates us.

19. Ystranc

Ystranc Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    It's also a case of what came first, the survivalist impulse or the craziness, I know a lot of ex forces guys have mental health issues, because of what they've seen and done, they can fail to readjust to civilian life. Many go through phases of being itinerant, or self medicating with drugs or alcohol. If theyre lucky they have the support of family and friends.
    There is plenty of crazy out there but prepping has an acceptably military feel, the planning, logistics and need to control a situation are all military traits but the crazy still leaks in around the edges

20. m33kuh

m33kuh Active Member
      41/58

Blog Posts:
    And living alone can definitely make a person insane for some reason specially if it has been a long time.
    A presence of another human being will have a huge impact on the mental health of a certain person for sure.

21. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    again, that depends on the person, if someone cannot function without others around then yes I agree, but if one is used to being alone then no.

22. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    There is plenty of wildlife to talk to.
    Keith.

23. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Insanity is a relative thing. It is a little like the joke about paranoia. "If a person is acting paranoid and people REALLY are out to get him is he crazy or a realist??? I have life insurance, car insurance, health insurance and homeowners insurance. Does this make me paranoid? Does adding a bit of survival insurance really make it any difference?

Actually when it comes to survival some forms of insanity may actually be a good thing. There are times when the only sane thing to do in an insane situation is crazy by any previously normal standards. The Viking berserkers were an example of insanity being used effectively. Bravery in battle is often based of the mind setting aside normal rules and just DOING IT!!! People seldom get metals for doing sane things!!

Warriors become addicted to the rush. They can and to some extent MUST become heartless killers. The hard part is to turn it off when you go home. PTSD is real and that is what will happen to people if they stay in battle mode for too long. I try to point out to people that you really don't want to turn your survival efforts into a war and constant battle mentality. If you do, in the end you may use your last bullet on yourself!!!