Survivalist Video Game?

Discussion in 'The Hangout' started by thePENofGODx0x0xz7, Jun 20, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. thePENofGODx0x0xz7

thePENofGODx0x0xz7 New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    I personally believe that if there was a legit survival video game that people would be more prepared.
    Video games are literally simulation programs but we use them for entertainment purposes.
    Do you know of any games that can help a younger demographic grasp the mentality of a survivalist/prepper?

Deeishere likes this.
  2. ZipMedia

ZipMedia New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    I don't think there is one game that can universally teach someone about survival, but on the general mindset and psychology of a civilian locked in such a struggle, This War of Mine captures the essence fairly well, and deals with a lot of aspects such as grief, depression, and the loss of party members. Not to mention, it also employs some general wartime-economy such as the trade of cigarettes and alcohol to military personnel in exchange for food and weapons, and bartering from civilians with all needs far and in-between.
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/282070/

3. Moroccanbeauty2266

Moroccanbeauty2266 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    A couple years ago me and my husband would play this Xbox 360 game called "Lost" based on the characters and the series.
    It was really cool because you also had to find a way to survive and faced many challenges on the island.
    I think there might be better video games out there but this is one that I enjoyed.
    You can definitely use them as a good training for real situations.

4. QtheMyst

QtheMyst Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    Minecraft survival mode is really popular with kids and teaches a lot of these concepts. A lot of kids go for the creative mode where it's more like digital Legos, but there are a lot of enthusiasts like myself who like the survival mode. Another one I played recently is called "Don't Starve" and it has a lot of similar concepts, gathering resources, farming, surviving the elements, etc. This is my favorite game genre right now! I don't know how well these skills really translate but it is a nice peek into the concepts.

5. OfTheEarth

OfTheEarth Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    This is such a great idea. It would be AMAZING to have a survivalist game with a bunch of different scenarios, single player, multiplayer, etc. Less hardcore (no need for weapons), more hardcore (need for weapons/extreme rationing), god this is such an amazing idea :)

6. cluckeyo

cluckeyo Well-Known Member
      95/140

Blog Posts:
    A very good idea!! A survival video game would be a great idea. The simulations could help prepare for a multitude of situations. Limited only to the imagination. If it was done well, it would be worth a lot of money. Some games are done better than others.

7. hades_leae

hades_leae Active Member
      48/93

Blog Posts:
    I would love to see as Virtual Reality video game like this because it would really seem real. Plus yeah in a way it could help people be mentally prepared for the madness that may come in the future. I personally don't know of any games that are like that. The creators probably don't see a real market for such a game.

If there was a game to come out in the future that was meant to be as realistic as possible, I would definitely get it. I would love a game that started out like that movie "10 Cloverfield Lane", and then the story continued from there, but that had to do with aliens.

8. tb65

tb65 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    I haven't really seen any video games like this. The closest thing that comes to a survival game is organ trail, and they do have a modern version. I think this would be a really cool video game I'd buy it. It may not be like the real thing, but people might find the idea of learning about survival more fun.

9. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I don't think survival can be taught as a video game, the two things are miles apart.

10. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    There are quite a few games which toy with the idea, a lot of zombie games certainly have come out recently where survival is a big element. Project Zomboid comes to mind, you need to scavange, build/fortify a place for yourself, find/build water sources, hunt/gather/fish/farm for food etc.

11. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    a video game is just that, I don't think anyone would make the connection.

12. OfTheEarth

OfTheEarth Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    I don't necessarily believe the whole spectrum of it can, but the psychology and philosophy of different games DEFINITELY translates to real life. At least some of the basics that you could read in a book would also be possibly taught through a screen as well.

13. schiavonecalvin

schiavonecalvin New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    I think that there just might be a way for a video game or any other game to be able to teach survival. If you are not already living the survivalist lifestyle and wish to be engrossed in a game to prepare yourself then it has to have extremely accurate information. I doubt that there is any game in existence that is as detailed as anything that you can learn real survival from.

14. iseeyou

iseeyou Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    Minecraft is a good game. There are two modes in that game, creative and survival. Survival mode is what i like to play. You start with literally nothing, so you have to wander around the world looking for food, build your house and craft your tools from scratch otherwise the creepers and mobs will kill you. It's an amazing game. The creative mode is where you can unleash your creative energy and build things from unlimited supplies of items, your imagination is the limit.

15. Damorale

Damorale Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    I posted previously about a video game called Rust which is a survival game. You can't replicate the actual intricacies of things like how physically exhausting it would be to smash enough rocks with a pickaxe to build a house and you get "plans" (recipes) for how to build things like quarries or c4 after a while, which obviously doesn't really apply. But I think it does simulate the feeling of being in a survival situation quite well - it's a dog eat dog world, the other players will kill you to take your stuff and break into your shelters, so you live in constant fear of being attacked or burgled and constantly have to think of ways to safe guard yourself. As well as sourcing food and water.

16. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    a video game is just entertainment, I don't believe it has any bearing on reality whatsoever.

17. Deeishere

Deeishere Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    Younger? We need something like that for all ages. :) I think that is an excellent concept. Just about everyone plays some form of a game. I am playing one now that deals with working in various parts of the hospital. The main character "treats" patients by giving them scans, removing cuts or sutures, and giving out medication. I am a visual person and learn quite easy when I can see how to do. Good ideal.

thePENofGODx0x0xz7 likes this.
  18. Arctic21

Arctic21 New Member
      1/23

Blog Posts:
    I don't think a game can teach you how to survive in real life but it can give you a basic idea on how things work. Some games are more detailed than others when it comes to this. Minecraft is one of the most popular "survival" games but it's not realistic.

19. rootle

rootle New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    A survival game that seems really good, though I haven't played it, is one called The Forest. It basically involves you crash landing into an island and then having to build shelters and collect food, water etc to survive. There is also some tribal people on the island and you have to avoid getting killed by them as well. It seems like a game many people on this site would enjoy playing. It's on Steam so make sure you check it out.

thePENofGODx0x0xz7 likes this.
  20. thePENofGODx0x0xz7

thePENofGODx0x0xz7 New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    It may be that the games that are out now, are not very realistic.
    What I suggests, is if you make a realistic game it can work to our benefit.
    If Dovetail can make legit Flight Simulator games for aspiring pilots
    then we obviously can make SHTF themed survivalist titles as well.
    Anything is possible and should be available for something everyone seems so enthusiastic about.

21. CivilDefense

CivilDefense Expert Member
      235/345

Blog Posts:
    From what I've read, there are a lot of titles that feature survival and survivalism as a major theme. However, I would be general skeptical about the value in training. At best, they might get younger people thinking about the major factors of survival (e.g., food, water, medical care, shelter, defense, et al.). But beyond that, I am not so sure. Still, if it gets youngsters interested in getting prepared, there may be some value.