Survived An Earthquake While Sleeping

Discussion in 'Survival Stories' started by Clara1993, Jul 4, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Clara1993

Clara1993 Active Member
      38/58

Blog Posts:
    halloo everyone I was just reading stories and i remembered something which happened to me last week,
    I was deeply sleeping in my flat when i heard something like noises that was my book felt from shelves, and when I tried to sleep again I felt like my body was moving and then opened my eyes and realized that it was an earthquake, I switched on the light but didn't care about going outside, it was serious I saw my walls shaking but something weird like " aah may be if I die would be good and end of all of struggles!" crossed my mind, then I covered my face I waited for the wall to break on me while I'm closing my eyes! it lasted like 4 minutes and then it stopped I didn't think much about it I just felt asleep again and in Morning I remembered it and I was scared cause that's not me!it's like I tried to kill myself I would never think about giving up on myself because I'm a fighter and never give up easily, now I recalled of that event and I wonder what was happening on me, is it a psychological problem or what was that did some one experience the same thing?

SimplyD likes this.
  2. Koala

Koala Well-Known Member
      77/115

Blog Posts:
    Well, first of all, you shouldn't be thinking about going outside if the earthquake is in the process of happening. Next time that it happens, and if you're still in your bed, stay there but protect yourself (your head) with a pillow or something. Otherwise, always stay inside, drop to the ground and try to hide under something sturdy like a strong table.

Anyway, perhaps you were still half asleep? and you maybe thought it's a dream of a sort?

3. remnant

remnant Expert Member
      190/230

Blog Posts:
    Its curious that earthquakes tend to occur during the might when people are asleep. In my area, there are on earthquakes only occasional tremors which take people offiguard. The best way to survive an earthquake when sleeping is to go under the bed go case the walls collapse. If this is not timely, go under the nearest table.

4. Clara1993

Clara1993 Active Member
      38/58

Blog Posts:
    Halloo It looks like To go under my bed would have been a good choice! I'll concider that next time :)
    @Koal Thanks For the knowledge I was green I used to run and get out of any house when earthquakes happens! but Looking back I think you are right nothing assures that To go out can be safer than to stay inside, But the only think I used to think was To avoid that Walls collapse while I'm inside.

5. Vinaya

Vinaya Expert Member
      143/173

Blog Posts:
    The first earthquake that I experienced was when I was a 7th grader. It was in the night, I was in a deep sleep. My brother was by my side. A violent shaking of my bed woke me up. I tried to wake up my brother but he was too sleep. I yelled at my brother and tried to walk towards the door, I could not. Then I crawled under the bed. The shaking occurred for a minute and then everything became still. No, I was not afraid, I was excited to tell how I felt that night.

Clara1993 likes this.
  6. Nia

Nia New Member
      3/25

Blog Posts:
    In school they taught us to go to the lowest floor and kneel with our heads tucked and our arms over our neck. That was for a tornado drill, but I think that it could work in the case of an earthquake also. I also agree with others who posted above me, if you can, get under your bed. Also, remember to always make sure your neck and head are protected.

Clara1993 likes this.
  7. Clara1993

Clara1993 Active Member
      38/58

Blog Posts:
    But even if they said that to go under the table is a safe way to survive earthquake, Still I wonder something, Imagine if you are in tenth floor and The earthquake starts and Walls start to shake do you think going under the bed would save you?? I think this time to go out would be a better choice to do in this case.

8. Clara1993

Clara1993 Active Member
      38/58

Blog Posts:
    That question you just asked is the same I asked myself when I wake up!! then I started to wonder if I was having Some sort desperation moments??
    But Then noo that's not really me I always manage to get out of all situations! never think about killing myself willingly! May be it was just sleep.

SimplyD likes this.
  9. Ystranc

Ystranc Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    I was once blamed for a minor tremor of the Menai fault which runs up the West coast of Wales and into the Irish sea, this was a little unfair as I was only 12 years old and in bed asleep at the time.

10. airfightermax

airfightermax Member
      18/29

Blog Posts:
    Would going out looking for a flat unobstructed ground be the best choice during an earthquake? If there is one near OP's flat that's definitely what he should do.

On the other matter though, yeah it could have been OP just half-asleep as he hasn't assessed the situation enough yet.

11. airfightermax

airfightermax Member
      18/29

Blog Posts:
    If you think you could make it out in time I say go for it. Being out in the open is the best place to be at in the event of an earthquake.

But if you're waaaay up there on the top floor of a very tall building, that's when hiding below a sturdy object would be the best thing to do.

12. Clara1993

Clara1993 Active Member
      38/58

Blog Posts:
    Hallo Ystranc, yes I think it's not fair to blame teens for certain faults sometimes or I would even say that most of times their careless guardians or parents are the ones to blame for that so blaming A 12 years old teenager is not good it even Affect them phsychologicaly for example look at you how many years passed now since the event but you still think it was not fair to be blamed for what you did back then you must even be remembering every single detail of that event! If you were beaten for that you could hate the person who did that forever which is why Teens should be taught it's a good age to teach children what is good and bad not put blames on them! for me that's kinda irresponsible of adults :)

Ystranc likes this.
    1. Ystranc
      It s not that I think it's unfair, I thought it was at the time but now I tease my Father about it. Don't worry, I'm unlikely to develope a psychosis about it. :D:D:D

Ystranc, Jul 18, 2017
      Clara1993 likes this.
  13. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    Whenever I would read an item about earthquake, I am reminded of the strongest earthquake that I had experienced. It was 1990, an afternoon in the office when suddenly the building was shaking. It took us about 5 seconds to realize that it was an earthquake. Someone shouted for us to hide under the table. And we did with shaking hands because we can hear the creaking sound of steel. Presumably, that sound was due to the swaying of the building. And it was really a scary thought. When the earthquake stopped, we were like unmoving statues. I don't remember how I was able to get out of the building and into the parking lot. It was a terrible and unforgettable experience.

14. Clara1993

Clara1993 Active Member
      38/58

Blog Posts:
    Oh Sorry for that Horrible Memory snd thanks for sharing it with us, I can imagine how desperate you must have felt and wished to see the end But thanks God youcame out of that alive :)
    all disasters especialy earthquakes are horrible to live and what's really matters is to know what to do to survive them.

15. Rhodolite

Rhodolite New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    Growing up on the West Coast earthquakes are really common and it's not that uncommon to sleep through a lot of them. The worst ones I've been through have happened in the day. The early 90's were pretty active for the San Andreas fault and I lived through those. M3's (old scale) and lower happen all the time and it's nothing worth freaking over that much. M4 (old scale) and higher is where you wanna pay attention. Then in 2001 there was the Nisqually quake which was pretty substantial and happened during the day.