Surviving a personal attack

Discussion in 'Safety' started by remnant, Jun 4, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. remnant

remnant Expert Member
      190/230

Blog Posts:
    Have you ever been ambushed by thugs at night? What technique did you use to escape their stranglehold? I have come to realize that the best strategy is to appeal to the most sensible member of the gang. You should not attempt to look at them straight in the eyes as this almost always results in a shot. Tell them that you understand their mission and that you would wish them to live long so that you can interact with them in another situation. Only resist at the initial stages of the attack and this should be in a fleeing mode. If this doesn't work out the best route is compliance. Don't betray yourself through fear as fear is dead giveaway which will multiply the possibility of risk.

2. Lisa

Lisa Active Member
      43/47

Blog Posts:
    I think it's difficult to say what to do, it depends on the attack, the motivations for it and the number of people involved. If it is a group of people who are intent on harming you I would just just suggest trying to protect your head and internal organs. If it is one person then maybe you could fight. I don't think there is a set plan of what to do in an attack without knowing the specifics.

3. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    when it gets to that stage communication is useless, they are already set on their course of action.
    action should be taken long before this stage and avoiding them entirely should be the key, situational awareness comes into play here .

4. Lisa

Lisa Active Member
      43/47

Blog Posts:
    I agree, I think prevention in this case is key. Ensuring that you are not alone at night or in a place where you are likely to be ambushed, and if you can't avoid those situations having a weapon would help.

5. ally79

ally79 Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    I would draw my weapon and tell them to back off. If they don't comply I am fully prepared to empty my 17 round magazine into their bodies and proceed to reload with my back-up magazine. There will be no "compliance" here. I may go down, but I will go down fighting and I am taking some of them with me.

6. lexinonomous

lexinonomous Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    When I was living in San Francisco, I was ambushed by several people. A group of people decided to try and ambush my food supply while I was barbecuing in a park. In these situations, the only thing you can do is fight back or surrender. I decided to fight back alongside my traveling comrades. The group was not expecting us to fight back, so they ended up walking away from the situation. I know that not every situation will end this gracefully. Personally, I would do my best to fight back and not let someone take advantage of me. Even if they succeeded in hurting me, I'd still like to know that I tried to fight back.

7. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    I am safety conscious ever since I was in school. I am the youngest in the brood of 12 children - 4 daughters and 8 sons - so I was raised with the orientation of safety and security of life and limb. Living in the city exposes you to crimes and I am glad that I didn't have a sorry experience on that matter.

Some 3 years ago, my niece who was 22 at that time was coming home from work. It was around 10 pm and the streets were still crowded with crawling vehicles. Out of boredom, my niece disembarked from the bus and walked her way to the village gate which is about a kilometer away. Halfway in the walk, there was this guy who grabbed the hand of my niece for an apparent holdup. It was happening right on the sidewalk, in full view of the motorists. My niece used to be a karate student so it is expected of her to fight. And she did by hitting the guy's tummy with her other hand. And when she was involuntarily freed, a looping kick hit the guy's face. And before some motorists could provide help, the guy was already running away. That was one neat defense act.

8. filmjunkie08

filmjunkie08 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    Knock on wood, that hasn't happened to me. When I was a case worker, I went into some really bad neighborhoods. We always went in pairs which provided some safety. I also tried to park extremely close to the door I needed to go into and I would have the mace on my key chain in hand. And, as always, I tried to be very aware of my surroundings.

9. filmjunkie08

filmjunkie08 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    I live in what is called "tornado alley" in Texas. I have survived a tornado on two separate occasions that ended up landing near where I was. The first tornado was on campus. The feeling in the air got really still and heavy. "Oh, crap!" I thought to myself and headed for the basement in the student union building. As I mentioned earlier, the tornado ended up touching down only one street over. The second time was 14 to 15 years ago. I got my sons twin bed and placed in the hallway where there were no windows. I grabbed pillows so that we could protect our heads. My son was terrified and I think I sang a hymn until he fell asleep. This time, the tornado touched down two blocks from my home.

10. judyd1

judyd1 New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    I agree with the idea of situational awareness. Be aware of your entire surroundings, any movement as far as the eye can see should be taken into account. Trust your gut instincts. If you have "a feeling" that something is not right, don't ignore it--it could mean your life!

It is much easier to adjust your reactions and decisions in advance of a problem, than coping with it once it's underway and your in the middle of it.

11. judyd1

judyd1 New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    Another good tip I heard once is that, because people are sometimes reluctant to get involved when a stranger is getting attacked, it is always better to yell "Fire!" rather than "help!". The reasoning being that if it's a husband who's "taking care" of his wife, and you get in the middle, you will NOT be thanked, especially if they reunite, as so many domestic cases DO.

However, if people think there's a fire, they will quickly come to the rescue and/or call for emergency services.

12. tb65

tb65 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    I know for a fact that thugs who attack or rob people do it based on opportunity. In the past I used to know people who would steal from people and beat up on people or gang up on them. Later in life I chose to stay away from people like this because they always got what was coming to them believe it or not. You will find that thugs who attack people for no reason will always look for a vulnerable target. Now what there looking for has to be figured out by you, if you hear about attacks happening in your area follow those crime reports. Whatever makes you vulnerable to these attacks are things you should avoid. It doesn't pay to be to bold but, it does pay off to be prepared. I have witnessed thugs get scared on avoid there so called target when they realized they were ready for them.

13. jonthai

jonthai New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    I have never been attacked at night or ever actually. I've learned some taekwondo , karate, and judo techniques from my peers and they seem to be pretty efficient in one of these cases. It's a bit strange using these techniques into real life, but i'm sure they would work.I still have allot of fear of being robbed at night , but each day i'm working on my confidence, and i believe that one day , i can wonder around in the streets safely , knowing i can defend myself.

14. iseeyou

iseeyou Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    I've always wanted to learn self defense like taekwondo so i can defend myself to life threatening situations. I haven't enrolled myself to classes yet but i'll definitely remedy this soon. I haven't experienced being attacked or mobbed thankfully but i always carry a pepper spray in my bag and i'll fight back as hard as i can if i know i have a chance but if I'm outnumbered and they have guns, then I'm screwed, i'll just pray.

15. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    if you have to move in these sorts of locations, the trick is not to look like a potential victim, if you look self possessed, are alert and aware of what is going on around you, chances are they will look for an easier victim.

16. Vinaya

Vinaya Expert Member
      143/173

Blog Posts:
    I have never been attacked by thugs in night or day. However, I have been manhandled by thugs in few occasions. Thankfully, every time I was rescued by people immediately. Thus, I can say I have always been lucky. When I was a teenager, I was never afraid of anything. If someone tried to harm me, I was ready to pick a bone with him. My parents were always afraid about my behavior. However, nothing happened to me.