Surviving a rape

Discussion in 'Survival Stories' started by remnant, Jun 4, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. remnant

remnant Expert Member
      190/230

Blog Posts:
    These days are very unpredictable when it comes to issues of sexual safety particularly to womenfolk. Even men are not safe and cases of sodomy are on the increase. There was a time I was waylaid by thugs of the opportunistic type and I attributte my escape to screaming, pleading and generally identifying with them. I convinced them that I come from the vicinity and gave them a sob story in my life. One of them appeared sensible and cajoled the rest to release me and that was it.

2. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    not something I have had experience of, and I lived in a big city and associated with bikers, Hells Angels and Outlaw groups, but they tend to look after their own anyway.

3. Lisa

Lisa Active Member
      43/47

Blog Posts:
    Again I think it depends on the situation, I don't think it's often very effective to try and talk a rapist out of raping you. I think trying to ensure you don't get into the situation in the fist place is important, home security, not being alone outside at night etc.

4. Damorale

Damorale Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    I think there's a big difference between escaping from or avoiding a rape, and surviving a rape. Especially for women, it is very difficult to avoid being raped. If someone wants to rape you, the reality is that they probably can, regardless of the precautions and extra measures you take to avoid it and/or fight back. We can be careful to avoid situations that might offer a greater chance of being assaulted, but no plan is foolproof or else no one would ever be raped.

Surviving a rape is different though. It is the difference between dying during or after the rape, and living and recovering. People often forget that it can lead to more than just emotional trauma. Physical injury can occur, and so it is important to know how to treat wounds and avoid infections. I've heard that though it is just a small thing, ensuring to urinate very shortly after sex (and therefore also rape) will help to avoid UTIs. In a situation where you are attempting to survive the rape as it is happening, some would suggest that fighting back is the worst thing you could do. Rapists are often thrilled by the idea of leaving you alive afterwards to carry the weight of the attack with you. So you do not want to trigger them into thinking that letting you live is more hassle than it is worth.

For women, it's also important to try and avoid pregnancy, especially in a survival situation. For me, if I was to become pregnant and not have access to a caesarean section in the pregnancy I had with my daughter, both myself and the baby would possibly die in childbirth, so I need to take extra measures to avoid becoming pregnant if we live in a world without accessible hospitals. If you've never had a baby before, you don't know whether or not you could survive a natural childbirth. And obviously natural childbirths carry huge mortality risks anyway because of infections, blood loss, etc.

5. willywonka

willywonka Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    If this does happen then you need to remember to check for any wounds and possible infection. Try to use plants that are soothing like aloe vera and things that have antifungal and antibacterial properties like tea tree oil (diluted) and garlic cloves. I hope that this helps anyone. You can also use citric acid in lemons and limes to avoid pregnancy. It has been used in spermicides for years. The acid makes it very hard for the body to conceive because it throws off the PH levels and kills the sperm.

6. Damorale

Damorale Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    How exactly do you use the citric acid from lemons and limes? Do you insert it up there or rub it on the surface, or drink it?

I have a really hard time believing that it's that simple to avoid pregnancy. It might help to avoid it, but I can't see it being even remotely guaranteed - which your message implies. I googled it, and apparently it only "partially blocked conception" in research conducted fairly recently. It worked by affecting the menstrual cycle of the rats in the study. So I think in the case of rape, it might not be so simple as drinking a glass of lemon juice afterwards to avoid becoming pregnant as if you are ovulating when the rape occurs, you don't have time to upset your menstrual cycle before pregnancy can occur.

Essentially I mean to say I think the above post might be slightly misleading.

7. lexinonomous

lexinonomous Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    Although I have never experienced this, I am incredibly sorry that you had to go through this. It's surprising to me that you were able to make your predator see clearly. I read a local story about a woman convincing her kidnapper to bring her back to school. She used the information she learned in sociology and tried it out on the man that threw her into his vehicle. It's always surprising to me when we can convince other people to completely change their minds- especially in a terrible situation like this.

I have no doubt that I could survive the situation, but I don't think it would have a happy ending. There is no happy ending when it comes to rape. Either you will escape, but be left with a terrible feeling of "what if," or you will experience something far more terrible than what I'd ever be able to describe. I truly hope that you were able to report these individuals.

8. BeautifullyBree

BeautifullyBree Active Member
      43/47

Blog Posts:
    Unfortunately, rape seems to be pretty common. As a teenager I was held down by three adult men(I would guess in their 20s). I never told on them, and I know that makes me less brave. I did survive, and proceded to be more cautious. I never will understand why people get their jollies out of rape. Its horrible.

9. Valerie

Valerie Active Member
      43/47

Blog Posts:
    Rape is... a mind-altering event. You never really get over it. Males and females both experience the mental and physical repercussions of being forcibly, erm, used. While I was never raped, I have been sexually assaulted and touched. Now, unless it's someone I feel comfortable with, physical contact makes me cringe. I'm always vigilant, not wanting to get caught in that kind of situation again.

There's no really good advice for getting through a rape. Each person handles it differently. I think some are happy to have made it out alive. Others need time to move on. Some do what the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo did and take revenge on the rapist, if the person is known to them or tell the police.

10. QtheMyst

QtheMyst Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    Jeez that is a terrible story about a terrible thing. If this happens, GO TO THE ER! There is no shame, it is not your fault, and no one but medical professionals need to know about it if that's what you want. But it's very important to check for infections and any other possible problems and you could save lives by reporting it even if you decide not to press charges. I'm so sorry for anyone on this board who has had to deal with that.

11. glreese

glreese Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    This is something that I have thought about quite a bit. It is one of the scariest things for me. I personally just try to eliminate the risk of that happening. I make sure I am armed in someway. I never leave without pepper spray. I usually have a gun and or knife with me. Also, I try to not go anywhere alone. If I have to go to a sketchy area I go with my boyfriend, dad, or brother.

12. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    It is natural for a woman to think of rape when the environment looks unsafe. Like walking alone in the street at night, it is like exposing yourself to a potential crime or mugging or rape. The first defense against rape is to escape. Running away is an instinct for humans to escape probably harm. And when cornered by the would-be rapist, scream and shout, yell for help so as to be heard even if there is no one visible in the vicinity.

Take this suggestion by a psychologist. In the act of being raped, like the rapist is already on top of you, don't show resistance but keep your thighs together as the last defense to prevent rape. Resisting would only make the rapist alert whereas if you do not resist, the rapist may feel comfortable in the thought that you are cooperating. But you have to be alert yourself in waiting for a good timing to push away the rapist and run.

13. meganisonfire

meganisonfire New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    I couldn't imagine being raped if I was trying to survive after a disaster. I was raped in my early twenties by an acquaintance of mine. I was drugged and then taken advantage of. It was the worst experience of my life.

I don't know what would happen if a woman was to get pregnant after getting raped. I know many woman who would have an abortion, but what if those means weren't available? There would be no hospitals to have a baby. The whole thing is scary to think about.

I think the best thing to do would be to learn self defense. I would learn how to defend myself so that way I could prevent any rapist from actually getting away with it. Now if there was no way to learn self defense then the best thing to do would be to carry a gun or run for your life. I would probably run because I don't know how to use a gun!

14. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    Resistance will most usually turn a rape into a physically violent rape
    If you have a gun and are prepared to use it good but not just to make him back off, shoot well before he gets within about 4m
    No gun!
    Run yes but once caught it is going to happen! how it happens is mostly up to the victim.
    Do not resist much, do not assist at all, do not look at his face as surviving the actual rape is the important bit now.

Pass out if you can act.
    After the rape if it is normal living as now the rapists thoughts will go to getting away with it so he might do most anything if his dna is on record!
    Post SHTF that rapist has no fear of being caught by the authorities so he will in most probability just walk away! and maybe think of a return visit!

15. Endure

Endure Expert Member
      130/140

Blog Posts:
    So far, and fortunately, I didn't knew anyone that went through this awful experience. There is lots of psychopaths everywhere and I don't blame if anyone is generally distrustful towards strangers. I really can't tell why something
    like rape is still an issue poorly managed by justice system, is not rare to know that some victims don't even report it
    because of fear for retaliation or because they live in a society of rape culture.

16. Christavia

Christavia New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    Dear friend, just consider yourself lucky that they let you go. Pleading doesn't work with some of them. Different strokes for different folks. I know a young lady who was almost a victim and instead of fighting, she lay on her back and was prepared for what was expected. The man was no longer interested, he probably got his turn on from someone fighting or pleading so she actually caused him to lose interest.

17. judyd1

judyd1 New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    That is very scary, and I am sorry you were in that situation! Thank goodness nothing more serious happened, because it easily could have. You hear all the time of vulnerable people (especially) who don't escape. Elderly women being raped, young women raped and murdered. For you, it will always be a defining moment of your life. You will always relive those moments when you didn't know if you were going to be molested or worse.

I believe that every situation we face--everything that happens, good or bad--can be a teaching moment. What can you learn from it? Did you learn that you are stronger than you thought you were? Did you learn that you can persuade someone to change their mind? Did you know you were able to do that? Did you learn you think fast on your feet, or in a desperate situation? In thinking back about the event, were there clues beforehand that things might get bad? Have you learned to trust your instincts more? Or pay close attention to a situation before going into it?

If you can learn from it, it didn't happen in vain.

18. Moroccanbeauty2266

Moroccanbeauty2266 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    Having to survive a rape would be my worst nightmare. I am glad that I have not experienced that before and I wish rape would not even exist but unfortunately it does. The only way to protect yourself is having pepper spray with you and using your self-defense skills if you have them. Otherwise, I would try to escape when it is possible and run for my life.
    Afterwards you would have to clean yourself very well. This is also important psychologically to get rid of the smell of the rapist. I would also try to write down the experience on paper and burn it in order to be able to move on faster. i know it would take long to recover but staying motivated to move on is very important.