Surviving a riot

Discussion in 'Urban Survival' started by Arboreal, Jun 22, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Arboreal

Arboreal Active Member
      36/47

Blog Posts:
    I've been watching footage from the infamous Los Angeles race riots of 1992 (aka Rodney King riots), and this is the stuff that makes me glad for my new interest in survivalism. It look like it's one of the situation when it totally pays for being a prepper - after briefly checking the list of fatalities in the riot, staying home or 'bugging out' of the city was seemingly the safest way to survive the event, as almost all violent attacks occured on the streets.

2. Toast

Toast New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    Surviving a riot is something interesting I hadn't really though about much. I've heard and seen stories about people going up on their roof, and shooting at rioters to protect their property/store. I'm not really sure what the proper procedure is if you're caught in a riot. I think as long as you stay in your home, and lock it up, as long as you're not the target of the riot you could be okay. If you own a store, you might be into some rough waters. I think trying to protect your belongings could be a suicide wish in that scenario, but maybe with a gun you could be okay.

3. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    that's why a lot of preppers have moved out of the cities, you don't get riots in the countryside.
    having said that, most riots seem to happen nearer the centre or inner city rather than the suburbs.

4. My3Sons_NJ

My3Sons_NJ New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    The #1 most important thing for you to have on hand is a weapon, preferably one that is imposing enough to handle multiple rioters/assailants at once. Even in the LA, Ferguson and Baltimore riots, they rioters went after soft targets and stayed away from more well-guarded locations by and large. The #2-#4 things that you must have on hand are enough food, water and a generator to permit you the ability to stay at home and not journey out during the uprising and to be able to get news/information on when the riot has subsided.

5. John Snort

John Snort Well-Known Member
      92/93

Blog Posts:
    As it has been noted, rioters will often be out on the streets in the CBD. Since many are opportunists who are after looting if you stay out of town then you might be fine. Question though is how would you know there'll be a riot?

People won't just start rioting for no reason. There has to be a reason. Keep yourself informed so in case something happens that might compel some people to hold a protest, you could stay home that day.

6. gracer

gracer New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    I have never experienced being involved or personally witnessing a riot but I also think that the best method of avoiding being hurt on a riot is to stay home if you have nothing important to do outside, since most riots occur on the street in areas where most businesses are located. I pity the business owners who mostly get stuck and sometimes get hurt in the process though. maybe if you own a store, it's really best to close as soon as possible as soon as a riot starts.

7. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    One example of a riot is the protest rallies where the encounter of the protesters with the cops turn violent sometimes. I had seen in the footage of news reports the peril of the protesters and the cops as well. The protesters were armed with sticks, stones and bottles which they throw to the cops while the cops have their shields and when worse comes to worst, they have their guns. In events like that, if you want to be safe then do not move. Just stand still and wait for a space where you can get away. Once you have the opportunity to step out of the circle, do it for your sake.

8. iseeyou

iseeyou Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    You should probably run to the nearest building and hide. Wait for the riot to quiet down and then you go home and beat yourself up over the fact that you went out in the first place because that was close! Lol. No really, there's no way to tell when a riot will arise and you can't just be a recluse and not go out because you're terrified of such things, I guess when you go out, be open to the possibility that your outing might not go smoothly and prepare yourself.

9. pwarbi

pwarbi New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    A couple of years ago here in the UK we had widespread rioting, and while I do live close to a city centre, around where I actually live wasn't affected all that much. When it comes to things like riots, and especially on this occasion, I think if you want to avoid being in that situation it's quite easy just not to get involved. A lot of the people that did get injured were either taking part in the riots themselves or had gone to watch and see what was going on.

If you stay away from the trouble, then it stands to reason that you will have a lesser chance of getting involved and getting hurt in the process. All riots aren't going to be the same of course, but I'd think the same rules would apply regardless of the situation and staying away from trouble, is the best way to avoid actually getting into trouble in the first place.

10. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    best way of surviving is don't get involved in one.

GS AutoTech, Para173 and pwarbi like this.
  11. ally79

ally79 Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    I try to avoid areas where rioting might be likely, like big cities. Of course, I understand that a riot can happen anywhere even the local grocery store. I try to be very aware of my surroundings and all potential exit points.

12. Endure

Endure Expert Member
      130/140

Blog Posts:
    To survive everything boils down into escaping or defending your property with firearms in hand. There is not much else you can do if you are the target of the riot.

13. Vatheri

Vatheri New Member
      1/23

Blog Posts:
    I think riots aren't as big of a deal as you might think. The biggest factor is just avoiding it before it happens. For most serious riots there is a period you can tell things are tensing up and that's a good time to go. Other than that, avoid living in highly populated areas which is recommended anyway, and if a riot starts to break out just stay out of its way as best you can whether that means staying indoors or leaving town. If you're asking what to do if your trapped in a stampede of people or something though, that's entirely different and in that case just try your hardest to not fall over.

14. tb65

tb65 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    Just stay out of it and protect yourself. I believe people have the right to protest injustices, but riots are unorganized and out of control. The thing about riots is you don't know who gets involved in them, there are times that people who aren't even concerned about the cause of the riot get involved for a chance to do some looting. The best thing to do is protect yourself and property like you would any other time. If you can, get involved with a protest to deal with the issues in a organized way and calm everyone down before the national guard gets called in. Show concern about the issues in the community and organize to do something about it urging people to join the protest instead of rioting.

15. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    stay out of it, the police cant and wont protect you, we found that out in the English riots.

16. working3

working3 New Member
      3/25

Blog Posts:
    I was in Maryland around the time of the 1992 Los Angeles riots, however, I lived in Los Angeles 10 years ago and talked to some locals who were either present or nearby. I think the first lesson is not to try to be a hero! If you're a business owner, stay in a safe place and protect yourself, by any means necessary. If you're an innocent bystander, run the opposite direction of the riot as fast as you can. Always, ALWAYS be prepared to protect your property and your family with lethal force, if needed. I'd rather be a wolf than a sheep in the case of a riot. Be instinctual and precise with your movements and plan or action because any wrong move could cause you injury and harm. The bottom line is to use common sense and stay out of harms way. Lastly, please don't run toward police if they are actively trying to do their job, as you might get peppered sprayed or worse.

17. remnant

remnant Expert Member
      190/230

Blog Posts:
    A disturbing issue is that during riots, some criminal gangs take advantage to rob, plunder and pillage. So its not entirely safe to be amongst the crowds. If you are not part of them, take a ride or any means you can and fled from the scene. If caught up in the middle between the police and the shoving mobs, identify the nearest news reporter in the field, befriend them and act the part, otherwise , play dead.

18. overcast

overcast Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    I remember some of the gender rights based riot which happened nearby. And then people started throwing stones on the random shops. And those shops faced massive loss. So I do think that there are chances when such issues do happen. It's good to have some safe room in the shop, that can be protected against the fire and the water issue. And in this way one can even use those rooms for the riot safety too. There are chances in future such event may happen. It'd not be easier to survive in riot if you are on road though, extremely hard.

19. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    stay out of the cities, especially if you know some big event is going on...like the recent G20 in Hamburg, some protest that starts peacefully always gets high jacked by the Anarchy brigade, try to stay out of it, if you have to go into the city find an alternative route that avoids that particular location.

20. GS AutoTech

GS AutoTech Expert Member
      232/345

Blog Posts:
    Avoid at all costs. Evade & escape. Live to fight another day. On your terms, not the mobs terms.