Surviving a terrorist attack

Discussion in 'General Q&A' started by remnant, Jun 29, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. remnant

remnant Expert Member
      190/230

Blog Posts:
    In this era of assymetrical warfare, attacks happen in crowded areas without warning. The worst episodes are from lone wolf terrorists since they are not easy to spot. My take is that avoiding malls and government installations and spending the least time possible there if you don't work there is the best strategy. Figuring an exit strategy in advance also pays but its also crucial to be calm in order not to spark panic unnecessarily.

2. My3Sons_NJ

My3Sons_NJ New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    You also have to keep your wits about you and be able to assess the situation as rationally as possible. In the recent terrorist attack in Orlando, you basically had one Muslim terrorist, armed though he may be, in a building with at least 250 if not 300-400 people in it. Were it not for the primal instinct of fear that is innate in all of us humans, rationally assessing the fact that if a number of people jumped the shooter, the death count would be quite low in comparison .. on the order of mid/high single-digits as opposed to 49. A few people on the flight that crashed into Schwenksville on 9/11 decided to take the fight to the attackers and thus saved many hundreds more .. but having the courage to act in that manner is a very tough ask.

3. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    By definition that place was full of those of little courage! Not a real man in the place!

John Snort likes this.
  4. John Snort

John Snort Well-Known Member
      92/93

Blog Posts:
    Not necessarily. There's this British woman who was beheaded by a terrorist in her home for example.

The one thing terrorists want is to kill people. If they can't kill many people. They could kill one or two. So no matter how hard you might try to avoid being killed by terrorists, you could be a victim any time. This is why you need to know what should be done just in case . . .

Stuff that could be helpful:

- Go shopping when there'll be few people in the mall.

- You could do some "profiling." If someone looks like a terrorist or acts like one then you need to head for the exit immediately.

And ladies, leave your high heels at home in case you need to run for your life.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2016
  5. hades_leae

hades_leae Active Member
      48/93

Blog Posts:
    If you have noticed all over the world, these terrorist attacks continue to happen at the same places, airports, coffee shops, schools, etc. Many people out there who choose to not learn how to protect themselves will be most likely the ones suffer from being dependent on government officials in situations like terrorism because they don't understand what they should do when things go down.

6. Moroccanbeauty2266

Moroccanbeauty2266 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    Most of the time, terrorist attacks happen very suddenly and unexpected.
    Especially, nowadays places where there are crowds of people are the first target that are chosen.
    This makes it hard because you would have to avoid crowds every time you go outside.
    I think it is very very hard to even prepare yourself for a terrorist attack.
    If I were close to one I would try to help others around me as best as I can, for example, with my first aid skills.
    I can help but this is no guarantee that will survive it myself.
    If you can overwhelm the attackers as a group than that is your only chance but as has been said, it take a lot of bravery to do that.

7. willywonka

willywonka Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    Right now I am travelling with a solar backpack at all times so that I can charge my devices in case of an emergency and I have been keeping a first aid kit in the pack as well as snacks, water and a light blanket. Even though it is hot right now, my boyfriend and I have been stashing things like this in our car so that we have access to food and supplies in the event of an attack and we can't get back home right away. We even have a light sleeping bag in the trunk as well. Just be aware of your surroundings!

8. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    "CIA psychologist who interrogated 9/11 mastermind says Afghanistan withdrawal 'puts us more at risk'"

https://www.foxnews.com/us/cia-psychologist-afghanistan-withdrawal-risk

"The CIA psychologist who helped design a program to interrogate the accused mastermind behind the Sept. 11, 2001, terror attacks says the recent withdrawal from Afghanistan 'puts us more at risk.'

"Dr. James Mitchell criticized the Biden administration's handling of the U.S. military's withdrawal from Afghanistan before Aug. 31 as the nation marks 20 years since 9/11 and said the Taliban will likely place blame for future attacks on other terror groups.

"'We've given them arms and money and a safe haven for planning the attacks,' Mitchell said. 'I don't know what we were thinking.'

"'In terms of responding to any attack that comes out of the Taliban, they're going to probably try to distance themselves from that," he said of the terror group. "You may remember that the Taliban told Biden that 'we won't attack your people,' and then let ISIS attack and kill those 13 Marines. ... The suggestion that we can treat the people that want to impose Sharia law on the world as if they were an ordinary government is, I think, naive.'

"Mitchell, who designed the interrogation program in an effort to get Islamic fighters who had been 'trained to resist interrogation' to discuss any future terrorist attacks planned against the United States, said he believes Sharia law and democracy 'can't coexist.

"'We need to get the families that were stranded out of there,' the medical psychologist said. 'I think we should put every effort that we can into saving American citizens from what's going on there. I think that the people responsible for doing that ought to be ashamed of themselves.'.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  9. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Following-up on the above post:

"Panetta Predicts Taliban, Al Qaeda Will Attack US"

https://www.newsmax.com/newsfront/panetta-afghanistan-terrorist-war/2021/09/11/id/1035967/

"Former CIA Director and Secretary of State Leon Panetta, who served under President Barack Obama, gave an ominous warning about the situation in Afghanistan during a televised interview to be aired Sunday.

“'The Taliban taking over Afghanistan is pretty much the same Taliban that controlled Afghanistan on 9/11,' Panetta said during the taping of 'Full Court Press with Greta Van Susteren.' 'It's clear to me that they're going to continue to support Al-Qaeda, and I think they will plan additional attacks on our country, as well as elsewhere.'”

TMT Tactical likes this.
  10. Max rigger

Max rigger Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    The biggest terrorist attacks won't be from bullets and bombs, it will be cyber attacks knocking out power/water/banks/internet. Knock out the power grid feeding somewhere like New York for two or three days and its likely you'd have more dead than you had on 9/11.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  11. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    knock out the power grid and it wont just be for 3 days.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  12. Max rigger

415/460

Blog Posts:
    I didn't mean knock out as may happen in an EMP burst (lot of speculation on how bad that could actually be) but just taking down the computer control systems in a DOS (Denial of Service) attack, a bit like your computer getting hacked and frozen only this attack stops your kettle working ;)

TMT Tactical likes this.
  13. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    break out the camp stove. your more technology knowledgeable than I am, would such an attack only knock the power out for 3 days, mind you even thats a lifetime for some!

TMT Tactical likes this.
  14. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Likely terrorist groups now have a lot of boots on the ground in Western nations. Terrorists can easily fade into Middle Eastern enclaves. That Afghanistan has fallen has given them a great victory and will certainly encourage them to pursue further victories over Western Christian culture.

Another encouragement lies in how the West panicked over the covid virus. A virus that basically only killed the elderly, the obese, and smokers caused massive economic damage and allowed China to gain ground in its quest for international dominance.

Seeing these events could very well motivate terrorist groups to start a REAL plague such as using a virus like Ebola hemorrhagic fever. If the flu scared the West, most assuredly watching people bleed to death out of their eyes and every other orifice would be a sure-fire panic inducer.

The West has gone soft and its enemies are delighted.

https://www.cdc.gov/infectioncontrol/guidelines/isolation/appendix/bioterror-precautions.html

TMT Tactical likes this.
  15. Max rigger

415/460

Blog Posts:
    Three days is a number I picked out of the air. DOS would depend on system resilience and if our hackers are better than their hackers to a degree. I have no in depth knowledge of the National Grid system but talking to others that do there is a lot of cyber security in place so no easy task to take the system down.

Camp stoves could be a good thread on its own, talk about what people use...what do you use?

TMT Tactical likes this.
  16. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I thought the 3 days quoted was based on some kind of research.
    I am more concerned about the fragility of the National Grid in a physical sense rather than a cyber attack, anything that takes cables via pylons across open country is wide open to attack, a cyber attack like you say depends on who has the better hackers and what their cyber security is like.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  17. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    What if your enemy threatened to cut out your cancer?!

"Taliban Threatened US With 2,000 Suicide Bombers In Washington D.C."

https://www.zerohedge.com/geopolitical/taliban-threatened-us-2000-suicide-bombers-washington-dc

"According to the MEMRI report, 'In December 2021, it also emerged that the Islamic Emirate told the United States during talks in Doha that if the U.S. insisted on deploying 2,000 American troops at its embassy in Kabul, the Taliban would also deploy as part of any bilateral arrangement 2,000 fidayeen mujahideen [i.e., suicide bombers] at the Afghan Embassy in Washington D.C.'"

[​IMG]

TMT Tactical likes this.
  18. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Terrorists are pretty much cowards, they go for the soft target every time, usually civilians.

Brownbear and TMT Tactical like this.
  19. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    We preppers are not the sort of people who wish to be in amongst a throng of people -- quite the opposite. Good thing this. Me, I believe that the US is going to get hit with a major terrorist attack this year, 2024. Quite frankly, I'm dumbfounded that terrorists haven't hit any of the football stadiums already. I mean hey, there's tens of thousands who attend many, if not most, college and professional football games. Ripe targets, those.

The 2024 Superbowl is coming up February 11th. The playoffs are Jan 28. We'll see if anything goes sideways.

Other top targets would be NYC's Wall Street. Military bases would be a bit risky, however, China is sending-in military-age men in with the southern border migrant tsunami. Those Chinese could include highly-trained saboteurs -- not just run-of-the-mill soldier terrorists.

Shutting down power grids via conventional explosives or EMP devices would be a goal. If this were a protracted shut-down, thousands would likely die even if it was just a regional or megalopolis strike.

My fear is biological agents, because they are easily smuggled and easily magnified using common bio-lab equipment. The terrorist brings in a small breeder sample, then grows this into many colonies. One sure doesn't have to have an advanced degree to bring this about. This is a common lab function. Bio-terrorist would be vaccinated before heading into the US for their mission. China could EASILY bring this about.

As a prepper, I fear people stampeding. I don't want to be downrange of a dirty bomb's fallout. Another plague would simply mean staying at home -- that we could do.

So, I present the following so that y'all can ponder eventualities proximal to terrorist attacks. Sure am glad I'm not living in some city.

-------------------
    "Suspected terrorists are streaming across Biden’s broken border "

https://thehill.com/opinion/immigra...ts-are-streaming-across-bidens-broken-border/

"Most people entering the United States illegally are likely just looking for a better life for themselves and their families. But dangerous people on the government’s terrorist watchlist are also taking advantage of President Joe Biden’s open-border policies.

"The result is that 268 non-citizens on the terrorist watchlist have been caught by the U.S. Border Patrol since Biden became president nearly three years ago. For Donald Trump’s four years in office, the total was 14.

"Customs and Border Protection (CBP) tracks these numbers. According to CBP’s table “U.S. Border Patrol TSDS [Terrorist Screening Dataset] Encounters Between Ports of Entry of Non-U.S. Citizens,” there were between two and six encounters each year while Trump was in office, 2017-2020, for a total of 14. That all changed when Biden entered the Oval Office.

"There were 16 encounters in fiscal year 2021, 98 in 2022 and 154 so far this year, 2023. That’s 14 in Trump’s four years versus 268 in just three years for Biden.

"But how many people cross the border illegally and never encounter Border Patrol, nor want to? Especially now that Border Patrol officials are having to deal with processing so many people. If a criminal has reason to believe he is on the terrorist watchlist, he would have every incentive to avoid an encounter. Thus, there could be hundreds more on the terrorist watchlist who have entered the country illegally and hooked up with their terrorist support networks. They are not here to make a new life, but to make a new attack."

========================================

" ‘Soon, You’re Gonna Know Who I Am,’ Says African Migrant After Crossing Border into U.S."

https://www.breitbart.com/border/20...rican-migrant-after-crossing-border-into-u-s/

"A man believed to be an African migrant from Morocco made an ominous threat after crossing the Mexican border into Arizona. 'Soon, you’re gonna know who I am,' he told an independent journalist.

"1stResponderMedia posted a video on X showing an interview with a group of migrants who illegally crossed the border 12 miles east of Sasabe, Arizona, over the weekend. At least one of the migrants in the small group identified himself as an African migrant from Morocco.

https://twitter.com/1strespondermed/status/1748867959546872271

"A second male migrant traveling in the same group responded to a question about his country of origin with an ominous message.

“ 'If you are smart enough, you will know who I am,' the migrant began. 'But you are really not smart enough to know who I am.'

“ 'But soon,' he continued, 'You’re gonna know who I am.'

======================================================

"The massive burden of Biden’s undocumented immigrants"

https://thehill.com/opinion/immigration/4335598-the-massive-burden-of-bidens-illegal-immigrants/

"The Border Patrol has apprehended 5,815,600 illegal crossers since the beginning of Biden’s presidency, from 160 countries. This has severely reduced the time available to screen individual migrants. Notwithstanding this problem, the Border Patrol released more than 2 million illegal crossers.

"The main legal pathway is the CBP One mobile application program, which permits migrants without visas to schedule an appointment to present themselves for inspection at a designated port of entry. The extraordinarily high CBP One admission rate indicates that CBP isn’t doing meaningful screening in this program either. From January 2023, which is when the interviews started, through September, CBP admitted 99.7 percent of the 225,000 undocumented immigrants it interviewed. "

========================

"Is Our Healthcare System Prepared For A Massive Terrorist Attack?"

https://www.forbes.com/sites/robert...r-a-massive-terrorist-attack/?sh=2933e05320a8

"The horrific terrorist attack in Israel with massive loss of life, hostage-taking, and countless ongoing traumatic injuries illustrates how a robust modern healthcare system can still be so easily stressed by a mass terrorist attack.

"We already have a strained medical infrastructure in the U.S. reflected by hospital closures, ambulance diversions, and cyberattacks.

"So how would our current health system handle a mass causality event if we had our own large-scale terrorist attack in 2023 and beyond?"

=======================

TMT Tactical likes this.
  20. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    all terrorist attacks are city targets, well they are over here, so that they have a multitude of targets.
    glad I left the city 25 years ago.

Brownbear and TMT Tactical like this.
    1. Old Geezer
      I read about a computer hack that targeted a water treatment plant. What the hackers did was to reprogram the computer so as to multiply by 100x the sodium hydroxide additive to the city's water supply to households = very toxic. I'll find the article ... looks like there have been multiple attacks ... industrial control systems used to be my world ... here we go, here's a couple of links

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/florida-water-hack-oldsmar-treatment-plant/

https://www.cnn.com/2023/12/01/politics/us-water-utilities-hack/index.html

Old Geezer, Jan 28, 2024
  21. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    What do y'all think will be the targets of the terrorist saboteurs this year, 2024. I'm thinking sports arenas would be sweet targets. Local police, FBI, Dept. of Homeland Security, ..., heaven only knows what other agencies are all-over preventing an attack on the Super Bowl game's stadium in Las Vegas (I looked it up / the game's in Vegas / I'm no sports fan ... at all , so I had to look that up). The playoffs are today, 28 Jan. We're watching the games. I'm not that interested, but if they get hit by some %&#@ing terrorists, it would be fascinating to be watching when the attack comes in.

The Fed.s will fry drones if such an attack is attempted. A drone attack, I'm sure would get zapped-dead and early so. Some terrorist attempting to walk something in would be thwarted due to what I've read. Were I some spiritually-dead crazy-@$$ terrorist, I know what methodology I'd use. Not going to share my ideas for obvious reasons.

Think about how pathetic human nature is. All a nut-case has to do is spook the people and poof!, they'll stampede.

What with all of the masses pouring across our borders with Mexico and Canada, Middle Eastern terrorists have it easy mixing in with the illegals. It's certain they already have.

The question in my mind is, where and who/what is it they will attack?! America has soooooooooo many targets. Plus currently, America doesn't have a Commander in Chief. Biden is a joke. Those actually running the White House are globalists and could likely aid and assist terrorist organizations. This year, 2024, is going to be a horror for Western nations.

Me, I'm glad we live in Nowheresville, Southern Appalachia.

Get-out the popcorn and beer! I'm getting out the hard apple cider (we have a hard apple cider production / distillery nearby; living in the mountains, right? Right! Hallelujah!). I also have some hard blackberry cider. I guess it was over three months ago now, I went down there and bought a case of hard blackberry and hard apple cider. Looks like I have only drank half of that. Football? Gonna watch it today. Apples, the wondrous taste of Mommie Nature's finest! Puttin' me feet up and gonna watch football. Hopefully they'll be no terrorist disruptions. I'm for Kansas City, certainly not dirty-town Baltimore. Word to the wise, never go to Baltimore unless its absolutely necessary for you to do so. Business trip? Ask your boss to send someone else to that sh##-hole. Plus, Baltimore is dangerous.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  22. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    One way to avoid being in a terrorist attack is to stay far away from this year's Super Bowl in Las Vegas, Nevada.

Every year in the past few years, I've been shocked that terrorists haven't hit any major sporting events. Maybe Super Bowl LVIII being played at Allegiant Stadium in Las Vegas will will dodge a terrorist attack. Several national law enforcement and security agencies are doing their very best to prevent such an attack. We'll see.

Iran would LOVE to kill as many Americans as possible if they could get by with it & not be identified as the source of the attack. If America gets attacked and it's traced back to Iran, our military might will be unleashed on Iran. This will cause the conflicts in the Mid East to immediately go regional. This will be an unimaginably horrific conflict. It will be what the Book of Revelations predicted.

Me, even if I have good reason to be in Las Vegas this coming weekend I'd not go. No, no, no!

TMT Tactical likes this.
  23. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    best way to avoid a terrorist attack is to stay out of cities and large public events.

TMT Tactical and Brownbear like this.
  24. Brownbear

Brownbear Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    Absolutely.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  25. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Fascinating irony that this upcoming Super Bowl is being played in Las Vegas.

You'll be gambling with your life if you go there.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The stadium's roof is some sort of specialized plastic.

https://www.constructiondive.com/ne...n-mccarthys-19b-raiders-stadium-const/567149/

"Crews are currently in the process of raising the roof, which includes pulling up a web of more than 100 stainless-steel cables that will create the structural diaphragm for the roof. The cable net system will also support the steel structure for the fluorine-based plastic ETFE roofing system, the same material used for the roof of the U.S. Bank Stadium in Minneapolis, another Mortenson project."

https://www.constructiondive.com/ne...n-mccarthys-19b-raiders-stadium-const/567149/

"Ethylene tetrafluoroethylene (ETFE) is a fluorine-based plastic. It was designed to have high corrosion resistance and strength over a wide temperature range. ETFE is a polymer and its source-based name is poly(ethene-co-tetrafluoroethene). It is also known under the DuPont brand name Tefzel and is sometimes referred to as 'Teflon Film'. ETFE has a relatively high melting temperature and excellent chemical, electrical and high-energy radiation resistance properties.

"ETFE was developed by DuPont in the 1970s initially as a lightweight, heat resistant film in the aerospace industry.[9] From its development it was largely used infrequently in agricultural and architectural projects.[9] ETFE's first large-scale use architecturally came in 2001 at the Eden Project where ETFE was selected as it can be printed and layered to control solar conditions and because it was found to have a low friction coefficient, which saves on maintenance as dust and dirt do not stick."

OldGzr: Y'learn something new every day.

TMT Tactical likes this.
    1. Ystranc
      I think it’s often referred to as PTFE over here which is derived from a shortened PETFE

Ystranc, Feb 10, 2024
      TMT Tactical and Old Geezer like this.