Surviving Drug Addiction

Discussion in 'Survival Stories' started by Vinaya, Jul 3, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Vinaya

Vinaya Expert Member
      143/173

Blog Posts:
    Do you have a history of drug addiction? Did you recover from drug addiction? If your answer to these questions is affirmative, then I have another question for you. How did you survive drug addiction? What inspired to give up drugs? What helped you to quit addiction? How hard was the recovery process, how long did it take?

2. James Simpson

James Simpson New Member
      1/23

Blog Posts:
    I don't have a drug addiction per se however I DO have a drug addiction! Confused? I'm on narcotics prescribed by a doctor and one of my biggest fears is some sort of apocalyptic situation and regardless of how much medication I've got stockpiled EVENTUALLY I'll run out causing my body to go through withdrawal! People think withdrawals a joke. I used to feel the same way too! Until I accidentally went through it! It's the farthest thing from a joke I can think of! People have literally died from the seizures it causes among other things.
    Was curious to hear if anyone else has thought about this or if I've now brought it to your attention what are your thoughts? Withdrawal WHILE Fighting Zombies?!? Not my idea of fun :(

3. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    anyone who has a serious drug addiction post SHTF probably wont be around very long. that goes for anyone on life saving medical treatment. or anyone reliant on outside agency staff for their daily needs. all these just wont be available post SHTF. sorry.

Budmanmac likes this.
  4. Bushdoctor

Bushdoctor Expert Member
      163/173

Blog Posts:
    Anybody needing any kind of treatment will have mega problems finding anybody with any medical skills. Pharmacies will have been raided by gangs who havnt a clue how to use the drugs that they have
    stolen. Sorry but I agree with Lonewolf.

Budmanmac and lonewolf like this.
  5. jeager

jeager Master Survivalist
      272/345

Blog Posts:
    Having had my back broken 4 times as the result of miscreants resisting arrest I had an awful
    time getting off oxy.
    Back then docs were way to quick to write scripts for that junk.
    I quit cold turkey and was sick for a week.
    I won't take anything stronger than aspirin and live with the pain.
    I do volunteer work with people coming off drugs and alcohol.
    Heroin leads all other substances of abuse here in Ohio.
    Really nice, young women from good families are addicted to heroin and often turn
    to prostitution for the next fix.
    Shame.
    Vicodin withdrawal was terrible.
    All taken as prescribed!
    Aspirin and a heating pad works fine.:D

6. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I stopped smoking in 1995, I gave up alcohol around 2000, I take ibuprofen for pain relief but don't take more than about 8 in a year as I rarely need it, a decent walk in the countryside is better than any pill, I need a clear head post SHTF and I wont have anyone around me who might endanger me or mine.

jeager likes this.
  7. jeager

272/345

Blog Posts:
    This may come as a surprise for some.
    Withdrawal from heroin without medical treatment will not cause death.
    The heroin addict will think they will die and may wish they would.
    Alcohol withdrawal, UNtreated, will kill at least one in four.
    From what I've studied sudden withdrawal from alcohol causes a huge spike in
    blood pressure resulting in stroke/heart attack.
    Not good.
    I do not drink alcohol in any form or amount nor do I take any narcotics at all.
    Diclofenac, non narcotic, non habit forming, works for my chronic pain from several
    nasty injuries suffered in police work.
    In post shtf I can live without it. I'll just hurt and be grouchy. :mad:
    I'm 70 and who knows how long I might live.
    Fraternal grandmother died at 99, a week shy of 100 and never saw a doctor 'till
    in her 80's.
    Maternal grandfather died at 80 from black lung. Both of my parents died as a direct result of
    alcoholism.
    Who knows what is in store?
    I live each day one day at a time and relish every moment.

8. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    i will live until the day I die, none of us knows when our time is up, I will fight until my last breath to stay alive, whether that is now in the good times or post SHTF. I am 69 next week but I am healthier and fitter now than some people in their 40s and 50s, I walk every day, and I cycle, I have no major health problems apart from a touch of osteo arthritis now and then and a good walk in the countryside takes care of that.

9. jeager

272/345

Blog Posts:

Withdrawal ain't no joke.
    Come off a 4 year morphine addiction. Prescribed, not illegal, but the withdrawal is the same.
    I was sick for a week and didn't have any appetite.
    I'm taking diclophenac (sp?) a non narcotic, non addictive, pain reliever.
    Not as much fun as the vic high, but effective.
    Withdrawal should no be an issue.
    Aspirin works just fine with the vic also.
    I not longer even drink alcohol.
    shtf is no time to come off narcotic drugs.

10. Bushdoctor

Bushdoctor Expert Member
      163/173

Blog Posts:
    diclophenac like ibuprofen is not an actual pain killer, it is one of a group of drugs known as non-steroidal anti-inflamatories which relieve pain by reducing the inflamation which is the cause of the pain
    (e.g. around injured joints or sites of infection) whilst they are non-addictive they can have some side effects to be aware of such as gastrointestinal problems (if taken on an empty stomach) and can effectivly
    reduce the effect of blood pressure reducing medication thus increasing the possibility of stroke or heart attack. So whilst they appear safe and are readily available they should not be taken lightly.

11. jeager

272/345

Blog Posts:
    Thanks.

12. remnant

remnant Expert Member
      190/230

Blog Posts:
    I started with a simple sip of an alcoholic drink. In campus, the habit caught on a bit. I used to occasionally patronise seedy places to drink alcohol. To cut the long story, short, spacing made me survive before the onset of addiction.

13. WildSpirit

WildSpirit Active Member
      48/58

Blog Posts:
    Thank God I never had that kind of experience (I never smoked a single cigarette at all).

But unfortunately I was able to follow closely the almost complete deterioration of the life of one of my great best friends who ended up entering the world of drugs. The fight lasted almost 2 years and was full of ups and downs (some of the main ones, the unconcern of the fake "friends" and the rejection by some members of the family).

To overcome this damn addiction was very difficult for my friend (and for all those who really cared for him)... But in the end, thank God and to the support of the family who made the peace with him again + the medical treatments, everything ended well.

14. BethSztruhar

BethSztruhar Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    I don't have a drug addiction, but I worked at a Psychiatry so I have a really great knowledge of it. In most cases the solution is you. As someone already said, putting down drug won't cause as extreme withdrawal as Alcohol. I've seen it. If you're a drug addict and end up in a hospital, in the most cases they can help you. But not with alcohol, especially if you're "in too deep".

But back to the drugs: the solution is YOU. Only you. You have to be strong, you have to make a decision. If you have any withdrawals, go to the hospital. They'll help with that. Then go out, and be strong. Avoid everything that makes you think about drug. Only YOU can solve this problem. Sadly.

15. Nela Civobeg

Nela Civobeg Member
      18/25

Blog Posts:
    Kind of the same situation here. Especially for the people who depends on medication. Not the kind of medication you force your brain to think you need it, but the one that could either mean you are going to live or die. My dad for example, who needs to take pills every day because his thyroid gland was taken out. I myself take meds for anxiety and beta blockers due to some heart issues I have. I bet at such situation I would be dying, but eventually I would just learn how to live without them. A lot of this comes from your brain. You might be forcing your brain to think that you really need something, but you don't. Unless your body is getting used to certain substance.

16. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    I really don't want to share this but maybe for the sake of this thread, I will. But I will not identify the person. Let's just call him Bob. He was hooked on drugs when he was in high school. His drug habit persisted until he quit college and got married with no job. He was dependent on his mother who had spoiled him. When his first child died after birth, we thought he would change but he continued with his drug habit. It was just a stroke of luck that he was so hungry when he was offered a job. That was the start of his new life. He quit drugs just like that and focused on his job. Now he is an accomplished personality in his chosen field.

17. Clara1993

Clara1993 Active Member
      38/58

Blog Posts:
    Congratulations to you Lonewolf, it's not easy to give up on both smoking and Alcohol, however I'm not an alcoholic but my mother is one, I saw how she struggle on quitting since 2009 and till now she has not been able to quit Alcohol no matter how many therapies she goes through, , i if you don't mind how did you manage to stop Alcohol for good please??

18. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    i just stopped, decided the money was better spent on doing other things...like prepping, this was just before 9/11.

19. Clara1993

Clara1993 Active Member
      38/58

Blog Posts:
    I think that has to do with self convicyion first, It hurts me to see her drunk and out of control, Sometimes she vomits, What a shame to have a mother like that I just wish I could help her

20. Clara1993

Clara1993 Active Member
      38/58

Blog Posts:
    I think that has to do with self convicyion first, It hurts me to see her drunk and out of control, Sometimes she vomits, What a shame to have a mother like that, We're not close we have some personal differences but I just wish I could help her on that issue but thanks anyway.

jeager likes this.
  21. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    i was never what you'd call a heavy drinker, I could take it or leave it, so it wasn't a big deal to give up.
    same with the smoking.just woke up one morning and decided to stop. more for financial reasons than anything else.
    smoking and drinking is getting quite expensive these days.

22. jeager

272/345

Blog Posts:
    Stinking. rotten cigarettes still have me hooked.
    No one gets arrested for smoking while driving or smoking on your porch.
    I wish tobacco was banned.
    I gotta quit. I'm diabetic and smoking is very dangerous for me.
    It's just stupid not to quit.

23. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I'm actually surprised anyone still smokes in the 21st Century, its dirty, smelly, unhealthy and anti social.
    but that's just my opinion:D:p

Bishop and jeager like this.
  24. jeager

272/345

Blog Posts:

It's a good opinion in my opinion.:D

It is dirty, smelly, anti social and one can't smoke in any public place.
    That's a good thing.
    I'm smarter than a stupid cigarette aren't I?

Maybe not.:(

I quit cold turkey for 2 years and started it again.
    How stupid was that!?:mad:
    I never smoke in a house, mine or any ones.

My doctor tells me my diabetes might improve if I quit.

25. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    i smoked for over 35 years, packeted cigarettes, hand rolling and pipe, but I woke up one morning and that was it, that was the day I decided to stop, that was 1995 and I haven't smoked a single cigarette or pipe since.
    as soon as I stopped my health improved, within 1 week my breathing was much better, I could walk further and faster, and uphill too, without running out of breath.

jeager likes this.
  26. jeager

272/345

Blog Posts:
    Alcohol addiction is terrible.
    Alcohol is legal.
    No one blinks when you buy a 5th or two.
    Withdrawal is a killer.
    Soooooooooo sick.

27. Nela Civobeg

Nela Civobeg Member
      18/25

Blog Posts:
    Arresting people for smoking on their porch? Don't be ridiculous.
    And cigarettes and tobacco can't be compared. People who grow their own tobacco without adding all sorts of chemicals to it and know how to process it good offer you a way better thing than all those companies who add bunch of stuff in their products

28. jeager

272/345

Blog Posts:
    Both my parents died as a direct result of alcohol addiction.
    Likely I inherited a predisposition for alcohol addiction.
    I've been in 3 rehabs and nearly died twice.
    I attend A.A. at least 5 X a week to maintain sobriety and more important
    spiritual growth.
    We didn't realize how much mother drank until dad died.
    She could no longer hide her addiction behind his.
    I've know 4 women that divorced alcoholic men AFTER they got sober!
    All 4 married practicing drunks within a year.
    Hummm????
    Control issues with them perhaps or gravitating towards familiar pain?
    Anyway I don't drink and booze has no place in a survival situation for
    me and mine.
    Just for me, not anyone else.
    One drink and the addiction is fired up.
    No thanks.
    God, prayer, mediation, A.A. meetings.
    I never met a person in recovery that was an atheist.

Clara1993 likes this.
  29. jeager

272/345

Blog Posts:
    I wasn't suggesting arresting people for smoking on their porch.
    I just said I never heard of such a thing.

30. Bishop

Bishop Master Survivalist
      335/345

Blog Posts:
    Here in Florida you can get a ticket for smoking in a vehicle with young kids

31. jeager

272/345

Blog Posts:
    I had no idea.
    Well one should not smoke where young kids can inhale the stuff.

32. Nela Civobeg

Nela Civobeg Member
      18/25

Blog Posts:

With many other conservative topics and posts you have posted, you expect me to believe that is the truth. Tobacco and cigarettes are not exactly the same thing, but coming from your mouth, I would probably say that you are thinking the same way about the cigarettes as well.

A diabetic smoker, a gun nut, religious man (with studies done on religion) spreading hate around with topics that are really off the whole point of this forum. Do I need to say more?

33. jeager

272/345

Blog Posts:
    @Nela Civobeg

What you think is meaningless.
    You, like everyone here, are just electrons on a computer screen.
    Some posters earned credibility, a few have not.
    Have a great day.

34. Nela Civobeg

Nela Civobeg Member
      18/25

Blog Posts:
    So, you are telling me that being a member for some time or making lots of posts makes you more credible? That is a nice view mate, but I have to disagree. Posts and credibility mean nothing if you don't stay behind your words and just like to act smart and what not. Hey, I like the idea of me being inside a computer screen, pretty crazy idea mate.

35. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Heavy drug use and drug addiction is one of the bombs landing on civilization.

Using the word "bomb" is no exaggeration. It is a bomb explosion in slow motion. Obviously it kills the users, but also exacts a monstrous toll on the civilized. To pay for their drugs, addicts must perpetually steal from businesses and the working people. Communist China is currently bombing the U.S. with fentanyl. The cities get hit first, but then the chemical warfare bomb shock-waves (drugs) spread out across the country. Even the tiny towns are getting hit with heroin, crystal meth, and now "tranq'.

Note: Narcan (naloxone) does NOT reverse the effect of tranq. Traq is NOT an opoid. Naloxone only affects opoid receptor sites.

"‘Tranq’ Drug Taking Heavy Toll in Philadelphia as Addictions Rise"

https://www.breitbart.com/health/20...king-heavy-toll-philadelphia-addictions-rise/

Begin quote:

The “tranq” drug is taking a costly toll in Philadelphia, and video footage posted Thursday shows those caught in its grip.

The Kensington area is apparently filled with people slumped over and passed out, the New York Post reported Saturday, citing video footage shared by TikTok user urbanvisuals2.0.

In the clip, individuals are being recorded standing or sitting motionless on the sidewalk that is scattered with debris:

@urbanvisuals2.0

#kensingtonphilly #philadelphia #philadelphia #kensington #kensingtonphiladelphia

♬ original sound – Urban Visuals 2.0

The city has been grappling with a rise in addicts using the drug called Xylazine which is also referred to as “tranq.”

The Post described it as “a deadly sedative used to enhance the effects of heroin, cocaine, and fentanyl.”

In April, U.S. government officials deemed Xylazine an “emerging threat” and asked Congress for additional funds to push back against the drug connected to overdose deaths, according to AFP.

Meanwhile, authorities in Los Angeles have been warning citizens about the “zombie drug” that can eat a person’s flesh.

“Addicts who use it can reportedly experience side effects such as their skin and muscle rotting,” per Breitbart News.

Some “tranq” users are also having to undergo amputations, ABC 6 reported in September.

The outlet also noted that “officials say drug suppliers are lacing the fentanyl and heroin supply with the animal tranquilizer because it is cheap and easy to get.”

Now, Philadelphia’s health officials are lamenting the fact the city is suffering under the epidemic, admitting that Xylizine has hit the area “particularly hard” with more overdose deaths and “severe wounds that can lead to sepsis and amputation.”

For a long time, Philadelphia District Attorney Larry Krasner (D) has said incarceration should not be an option for drug addicts, the Inquirer reported in December 2019.

“Now he’s putting that philosophy into action. His office has quietly launched an interim version of an unprecedented ‘diversion’ program, in which prosecutors simply withdraw charges for those who show proof they’re in drug treatment,” the article said.

According to Krasner’s campaign website, “The office has stopped prosecuting nearly all simple drug possession cases.”

End quote
    -----------------------------------------------------------------

TMT Tactical likes this.
  36. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I have no sympathy for drug addicts, its all self inflicted, the sooner they all have an overdose and die the better, with this new zombie drug they look like they are dead already.

TMT Tactical likes this.