Surviving In Harsh Snow Conditions

Discussion in 'Survival Stories' started by OursIsTheFury, Jul 20, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. OursIsTheFury

OursIsTheFury Expert Member
      153/173

Blog Posts:
    I read about this person who went to the northern edge of Alaska just to see if he could survive the weather conditions. He did not bring enough supplies, and he didn't even bring any communication instruments. He tried hunting and caught a deer or moose (I can't remember which) but since he didn't bring anything that can preserve the meat, most of the parts rotted before he could it it. He also got injured in the leg while hiking, and had to resort into eating berries growing near his camp. Turns out these were poisonous, and his body was found by another hiker months later.

Apparently this story was "inspiring" enough that a lot of hikers did the same, and ended up dying themselves. No idea why they thought it would be a great idea considering the person died because of the lack of preparedness.

2. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    IF this had been in "harsh snow conditions" as your post suggests, the meat would have been preserved in the cold. You do not need anything to preserve meat other than drying it in the sun or over a fire.
    Certainly this young man did not go into the wilderness well prepared, I understand his aim was to live off the land, but he simply had not had enough experience.
    Keith.

3. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    Im sorry havein been there i think this story is a story and nothing more unprepared there means dead quick there id have to say it fiction

4. Bishop

Bishop Master Survivalist
      335/345

Blog Posts:
    Your thinking of Christopher McCandless he the guy that the story into the wild was based on and some of what he did killed him because of what was in a survival book was not true infact the old bus that he was found to be living in and died in was removed because so many people trying to do what he did

Keith H. likes this.
  5. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    No, this is a true story. He found an old bus & lived in that, that is where they found his body.
    Keith.

6. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    Northen alaska is snow year round snow a warm day there is adove freezing radar sites weather stations is about all thats there a bus wouldnt be there as roads really are not there fly in fly out snowmoblie and dog teams are and snow tracted mahine s are transportation like i said I WAS THERE UNDERSTAND ???

7. Bishop

Bishop Master Survivalist
      335/345

Blog Posts:
    download (4).jpg This story happened on the stampede trail this is his last picture.