Surviving in tough neighbourhoods

Discussion in 'Survival Stories' started by remnant, May 30, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. remnant

remnant Expert Member
      190/230

Blog Posts:
    Sometimes one's work obligations and adventures in life require one to work and even live in tough neighbourhoods. Some of these are located in slums and ghettoes and all kinds of criminals and fugitives find refuge here. People residing in such areas are hardened and streetwise and very easily spot a stranger. If its not by your appearance, its through your carriage and composure as well as your habits since a good number abuse drugs. There are toughies and bullies all over. Gunshots and murders are common. How do you survive in such environments?

2. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    you probably don't.

3. John Snort

John Snort Well-Known Member
      92/93

Blog Posts:
    If you have to work or live in the neighborhood then it would be in your best interests to get to know a few people who live in the neighborhood. They don't have to be your best friends. It's them who could help you survive in exchange for something. Money most likely.

Otherwise, if all you seek is adventure, get it elsewhere.

4. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    unless you were born and brought up in such an environment you probably will never fit in and wont survive it.

5. Endure

Endure Expert Member
      130/140

Blog Posts:
    I agree wth lonewolf. Nature is one thing, but dealing with violent gangs prone to gunpoint anyone even against the slightest provocation. Even decent people that spent a good chunk of their life in those rough places lived with fear and
    despair. It's not an adventure, is like living almost under warfare conditions, only misery and death.

6. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    I was born and raised in a city apartment. In a third world country, it is much safer at night to be in the rural area for criminals abound in the urban towns and cities. And being a girl, I was thought to defend myself not with martial arts but in how to evade would-be attacker. And mind you, the fear of being attacked is not only at night for even in daytime, you are not safe in the city. How can you fight off an attacker who is holding a knife? Can you parlay the attack using a lead pipe? Worse, some criminals have guns and they holdup an entire public bus. Oh, those cases are common until now.

When I entered college in a Manila university, I was fully oriented. It was the first time that I would be going out of our town (Makati city now but was a town at that time). In taking the public transportation, particularly the bus, I would look at the passengers before I embark. And if there are suspicious looking characters, I would go for the next bus. In walking, I always hug my bag and my eyes are alert, left and right plus a glance at the back. I always avoided walking side by side with strangers. So if the sidewalk is crowded, I choose the people I walk with, mostly girls. And when night time sets, being in the streets is not really scary as long as you know the safest routes.

7. Destiny

Destiny Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    I grew up in one of the worst neighborhoods in Oklahoma City, of course, as far as Oklahoma goes it was bad. But, my family grew up there and I was pretty safe for me because everyone knew me. But, my brother was arrested for attempted murder... Long story... I live in the country now.

8. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
  9. Lakeisha Brown

Lakeisha Brown New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    I was raised in the ghetto if that's even correct terminology for it. I never understood why people look at the low income communities like they are a place from hell lol. I was always taught to protect myself no matter what so I had no problems.

10. DrPBandJelly

DrPBandJelly New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    Hey! The most important thing in these situations is to make contacts! Talk to people. Become friends with your neighbors. Have eyes and ears everywhere, and nobody can touch you! If this is not possible, keep as low a profile as possible. Don't bother anyone, don't look anyone in the eye. Just do your thing and normally you won't be bothered. If you are robbed though, don't try to fight! Just give them everything you have. Your wallet is not worth your life.

Moroccanbeauty2266 likes this.
  11. Toast

Toast New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    I think it's really hard to survive if you can't go outside regularly, without fear of crime. I think being tough and well prepared can help. I've personally been sort of scared to go outside, because I live in sort of a tough neighborhood. Someone was shot on my street within the last year. I don't think it'd hurt if you're friendly with your neighbors though, even if they are like gang members or something. In-fact, if they are gang members, being friendly with them probably makes you less likely to be a victim of a crime.

12. Moroccanbeauty2266

Moroccanbeauty2266 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    I would not want to stay in such an area for a very long time.
    Most likely I would just leave and try to go somewhere else.
    By entering that "microcosm" it will be hard to get out safely.
    As a woman I would not go there alone. If someone were with me
    I would feel safer but also that is no guarantee.
    Even if you do become friends with them I see it being a risk.
    Just stay friendly but distant is my motto.