Surviving loneliness

Discussion in 'Survival Stories' started by remnant, Jul 18, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. remnant

remnant Expert Member
      190/230

Blog Posts:
    There are times when one is left alone at home or has to live in a foreign land. It could even be a case of being lost in the zones or even being detained. In most cases, this occurs when one is grieved especially for young and old couples or suffering from isolation by relatives. It could also occur in urban areas where people are individualistic resulting in a phenomenon called 'lonely in a crowd'.

sunnytn and hollowgirl like this.
  2. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    Trust in god as he will keep you company!
    With god you have no need of any other!

sunnytn and Doubletap45 like this.
  3. remnant

remnant Expert Member
      190/230

Blog Posts:
    Thanks alot for commenting along a spiritual line. I am a spiritual Christian as my username and email address testify and in reality, taking refuge in God and not trusting in man has been my pillar of strength and the strongtower of refuge. I am more concerned with the afterlife than this brief stint on earth.

sunnytn and Doubletap45 like this.
  4. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    So why are you here if you have it sorted?

5. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    loneliness is something that has never bothered me, for most of the population this would be a major problem, people have been conditioned to live in large groups, something to do with the herding instinct, thankfully in some of us this is absent, its people that cause us problems not being alone.

sunnytn and HappyJackSlade like this.
  6. HappyJackSlade

HappyJackSlade Well-Known Member
      90/115

Blog Posts:
    People who can deal with isolation or being on their own for long periods of time are usually at peace with themselves. But it is always good to have faith as it will give you a strength to carry on.
    But we are social beings and spending long periods of time alone is not good for our mental wellbeing. Loneliness can and often and does poison the mind. Paranoia creeps in, especially in a SHTF type of scenario where trusting people can become a big issue.
    Setting off down this track can open a whole new can of worms

sunnytn likes this.
  7. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    only if someone is used to having lots of people around, say in an extended family, fortunately I was an "only" child and my immediate family are all deceased-apart from a couple of distant cousins.
    being alone has been my natural environment, being amongst other people is what causes alarm bells!!:cool:

Last edited: Nov 6, 2016
  8. HappyJackSlade

90/115

Blog Posts:
    I
    I too am an only child. It does come down to the individual really,Some people are just loners in life and being on their own is just a preference really.

sunnytn and lonewolf like this.
  9. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    i think a lot of people are almost programmed to be with other people, I call it the "herding" instinct, you can see it in car parks!!
    I cant abide large crowds, and I don't go into cities-despite being brought up in one, in a SHTF event its other people and their actions which will decide who lives and who dies, especially in the big cities.
    anyone who cannot function on their own but "must" join a group post event probably wont last very long, a lot of people are going to be left on their own just by sheer bad luck and if they don't know how to survive alone loneliness is going to be the least of their problems.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2016
  10. HappyJackSlade

90/115

Blog Posts:
    Well said. It's millions of years of instinct that we band together for survival. If you were an individual in prehistoric times you were not going to last long at all. So like you say, we are pre-programmed to group together for survival..
    I'm really enjoying this discussion

11. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I think you will find prehistoric "tribes" weren't much more than extended families, I think back then blood really was thicker than water.

12. HappyJackSlade

90/115

Blog Posts:
    Yup I agree with them being mostly family groups. I may have picked the wrong era. Ok let's just say people were drawn together for survival purposes. There are some really interesting documentaries on the first People's to live or make their way to North America on YouTube.

sunnytn likes this.
  13. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I think I saw or read something that said the first people to arrive in North America came over an ice bridge from Asia.

14. HappyJackSlade

90/115

Blog Posts:
    Yup that was also in this documentary I saw another one just a few days back were they did allot of dna testing and found that majority of the the North American people's came from Siberia ,which are of Asian decent anyways to a certain extent

15. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    yes that's similar to what I saw .

HappyJackSlade likes this.
  16. sarky

sarky Expert Member
      133/173

Blog Posts:
    If you are staying busy, doing positive things, boredom and loneliness shouldn't be an issue.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
    sunnytn and hollowgirl like this.
  17. Scott Chaffin

Scott Chaffin New Member
      3/25

Blog Posts:

18. Scott Chaffin

Scott Chaffin New Member
      3/25

Blog Posts:
    I have dealt with this almost all my life. It's what you make of.. fore the most part. The Marines say it best.. 90% mental 10% physical.. you are as strong as you want to be. Faith does play a part, as long as you have faith in yourself and your knowledge. A higher power faith, is optional... Inner strength goes a long way. What doesn't kill will make you stronger. Fear can be a strength as well as a weakness. It's all how you as a person deal with it will define yourself... Never show weakness, even to yourself. You will lose every battle if you do.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2017
  19. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    what dosent kill you makes you stronger, yes, I've always liked that saying.

20. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Humans are pack animals as much as, if not more so, than wolves. We are not herd animals, though I must say that out in the world, I witness no shortage of ungulates.

21. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    i'm not so sure, most of the population are sheeple so i'd say a flock animal if not a herd.

22. sunnytn

sunnytn Well-Known Member
      90/99

Blog Posts:
    That is true..I enjoy my alone time. Spent many years raising kids and taking care of others for a living. I like being with others too, but have no problem being alone. I have a non-ending to do list to keep me busy if I get bored.

23. yunken

yunken New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    Being isolated or neglected doesn't bother me at all, so far as I believe in myself which I strongly do, loneliness is never my problem and will never be.
    All I need is God and myself and I will forever be okay.

24. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    all I need is ME, I don't need other people .

25. HappyJackSlade

90/115

Blog Posts:
    My man you will die alone.
    Being on your own in a SHTF type scenario can be compared to being stuck behind enemy lines on your own and being hunted by the enemy on a pretty much daily basis.
    There will be hangs of people mainly youths wanting to take what you have and the will. Once they have what you've got they will take your life.
    Networking , making allies is what survival is all about.

26. jeager

jeager Master Survivalist
      272/345

Blog Posts:
    I'm never alone even when by my self.
    I live with an insane person and we carry on a great conversation together.
    :p
    I'm a legend in my own mind.:D
    Really I find it easy to make friends but I prefer to be alone more than
    with company.
    People tend to like me right off.
    I'm personable.
    Likable.
    Warm.
    Smart.
    GOD I LOVE ME SO MUCH!:p
    I'm gonna give me a hug!
    O.K so I have an inferiority complex.

27. jeager

jeager Master Survivalist
      272/345

Blog Posts:
    I'm in A.A. meetings at least 5 X a week so know a lot of people
    in recovery like me.
    I DO NOT make close friends with them and avoid the females like the plague.
    Why would I get close to people as sick or sicker than me!?
    Sadly most of the females in recovery have shot their lives all to %ell,
    have next to nothing, and are desperate for some male sucker
    to take care of them.
    How do I know?
    Been there seen that too many times.
    I have a real decent retirement income, drive a new car every two years,
    have a home in the country on 15 acres and am single.
    I'm a TARGET.
    I could have ten eyes, two noses, 6 ears, one leg, 4 arms and STILL
    be a target.
    Not that I'm great, I have things, and those women are looking for a nest.
    They have nothing but tons of baggage to bring to the table.
    My present g-friend is 5 years older than me, lives in a quarter million buck
    house, has a Jag in the garage, a home here and one in Florida..........................

Get it?
    And she's a wonderful woman!
    I don't want a LOOSER.
    Looser women will give up sex for anything they can get.
    I said LOOSER women, not all women.

28. Deathisue

Deathisue New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    my case can be a foolish one, i lived with a sence of loneliness for 2 years and half and was horrible, the days became in weeks and the weeks in months and like is inevitable in years, only me and college without friends, without a life that i can call mine, but he was me, feeling very lonely in this big world.

29. Clara1993

Clara1993 Active Member
      38/58

Blog Posts:
    Loneliness is a horrible feeling, sometimes I feel lonely and I get to fight that feeling by Doing some exercises, cooking this helps me to not think about it, do shopping, going to public places this helps a lot Or visiting old friend trying to be active helps to fight feeling lonely and if you can talk to someone to release stresses and depression and if after being active you still have that feeling Just turn on the musics out loud and try to dance :) Believe me guys it works for me, Or in other words do things you like the point here is to keep your mind busy.

30. streettallest

streettallest New Member
      6/29

Blog Posts:
    Ones ability to survive loneliness actually shows how mature that individual is. There are always interesting activities that can keep away loneliness. I used to be scared about loneliness,until I discovered its a measurement on how mature I am. So I have learnt not to be lonely.

31. streettallest

streettallest New Member
      6/29

Blog Posts:
    Ones ability to survive loneliness actually shows how mature that individual is. There are always interesting activities that can keep away loneliness. I used to be scared about loneliness,until I discovered its a measurement on how mature I am. So I have learnt not to be lonely.