Surviving on the street for a night

Discussion in 'Survival Stories' started by Christavia, Jun 12, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Christavia

Christavia New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    At the age of eighteen I had to sleep on the road. It was semi town so there were a few persons on the road throughout the night but no one I knew. I was really far from home and wasn't getting through to the person who's place I was to sleep. I had to sleep on a bench under a tree and I was very scared. It was a little away from where anyone could see me as it was a little park but no one would come there at that hour, or so I thought. I slept light until about 5 AM when a crack addict came and woke me up. That God he wasn't hostile. He spoke to me nicely and helped me to find my way to the taxi stand. Everyone was looking at me weird as if they thought I was on drugs too, walking with that man at that hour and I had absolutely no money on me so I had to ask a driver to drop me where I was going.

2. Endure

Endure Expert Member
      130/140

Blog Posts:
    Quite a tale. Once me and a group of friends were waiting for an early departure at the bus station . We didn't have much choice to spend the night, and decided then to sleep in the street near a corner, we got backpack and general equipment with us therefore we took turns to sleep: two of us stay awake while the rest sleep for a while. Nothing
    bad happened, just some pedestrians strolling and some beggars sleeping nearby.

3. Moroccanbeauty2266

Moroccanbeauty2266 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    One time, I think I was about 19 years old, I missed the last train home (would have taken me 30 minutes to get home from the train station) and had to stay the night at the train station. I ended up staying in the bathroom and locking the door. I could not sleep well but I figured better sitting in the bathroom than walking alone through the city.
    Then when I was 21 me and a friend of mine experimented with staying in the streets. We lasted 5 days but would always hang out with random people that we met. I tell you it was fun but also creepy at times.
    Another time, me and two friends took my car to drive 5 hours to a reggae festival. we did not have tickets to the festival, we just wanted to have fun and see if we could get in somehow. Well, unfortunately, on our way back home the car broke down and it was in the middle of the night. I called my cousin who did not live far from that spot where were and he picked us up, let us stay at his place but wanted us to leave right the next day. So we wanted to hitchhike home but had so much stuff with us that was also from my car.
    We ended up staying 2 nights at the gas station which was also a popular truck stop. We slept on the grass in some dark corner. It was scary. At least I was not alone but on the other hand if I would have been alone then maybe someone would have given me a ride. In the end I am glad we even got home. We were starving without any money nothing.
    It took us three days to get home. I think we got on each other's nerves so much because it was such a tough situation.
    I would not want to sleep somewhere outside or hang in the streets all night.

4. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    This thread is about a simple overnight stay in the streets. But mind you, for a girl who is not adventurous like me, that is quite a feat. I don't think I would have the guts to sleep on that bench much more talk with a stranger. I was reared on that adage that we should not talk to strangers much more of the opposite sex. By the way, my opinion is based on when I was young and attractive, hahahaaah.

There was a time when my high school and I went on an overnight vacation in the faraway town of Tagaytay. There were only 2 of us and although Tinka is adventurous, I was scared all the time because we might meet some criminal elements. After being settled in the inn that we rented, we had a nice time roaming the place until it got dark. We dined in a native eatery and that was good. However, there were no more transportation in that part of the town so we had to walk our way back to the inn, about a kilometer or so. I was quite wary but not really scared because there were two of us. But if I were alone, I'm sure it would be an ordeal.

Christavia likes this.
  5. Valerie

Valerie Active Member
      43/47

Blog Posts:
    Though I've never been alone on the streets overnight, a group of friends and I while once backpacking through Japan couldn't find a place to stay. So we ended up bumming it for a good portion of the night at a train station entrance. It was wintertime, so we all huddled together and tried to take shifts with who slept and who stayed awake. Thank goodness Japan isn't really that dangerous, but it was still quite the adventure.

6. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I wouldn't feel safe on the streets, get out of town into the woods if possible, if not i'd get around the back of an industrial estate or I know people that have slept in empty garages.

7. Christavia

Christavia New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    It happened in Jamaica which is a pretty violent place in certain areas. The worst part about it was that I was alone, not even knowing anyone there. I was scared out of my whits but to how tired I was, I really fell asleep otherwise I would've been up all night.

8. Lisa

Lisa Active Member
      43/47

Blog Posts:
    I did it once in a train station when I had missed the last train home. I jsut had some newspaper under me but I remember it being very, very cold. Wouldn't like to do it again.

9. John Snort

John Snort Well-Known Member
      92/93

Blog Posts:
    Another easy way to ensure you are safe if you have to spend your night in a town you don't know is to find some establishment that is open 24 hours a day or another place that will have some activity all through the night [gas stations for example].

Or head over to the nearest train or bus station and sleep there.

10. lucidcuber

lucidcuber New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    Missed the last train of the night once and came close to facing that prospect, but fortunately a friend was visiting another friend fairly close by so he was able to give me a lift to his place so I stayed there for the night. I think it summer it wouldn't be too bad at all. I've slept on bare concrete before so I'm sure sleeping on the pavement in summer would be very manageable.

11. remnant

remnant Expert Member
      190/230

Blog Posts:
    I almost had the experience of sleeping on the street thrice. Once, I had gotten lost in a coastal town and decided to join a group in the warm evening atmosphere. I had cash on me and since I was a first time visitor, I gave up and looked for a longing. Sleeping on the street requires one to be invisible if possible and have something to give to anyone who spends the night nearby to make friends for added assurance. On the whole, I would seek out a watchman for company.

12. crmeche2

crmeche2 New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    I had to do that once when I missed my ride back to the naval station. Luckily, I had a little bit of cash on me so that I could get something to eat in a 24 hour diner. I spent two hours there, and then I walked down the road to a nearby 24 hour grocery store where I browsed the aisles for a little bit. I made sure to take my time, so that I could soak up some of the heat. After that, I had to wait outside for a ride to come get me. I made sure that I was in a well lit area. I also took the little bit of cash I had and stuffed it inside my sock. I normally don't carry a wallet anyways when in a new environment. I just carry the essentials (cash, ID, and credit card). I usually keep these in a pocket on the inside of my jacket or in down in my sock. That way there's no outline of a wallet to tempt others with. One other thing I did was to move positions ever so often, so I didn't arouse suspicion. I would move about it well lit areas making sure I circled back around to the place where I was left ever so often. Needless to say, I got in trouble for unauthorized absence. I also had to pay a buddy to come pick me up (I was in another state). By the time, I got a hold of someone back on base plus the drive, I spent the night on the street.

John Snort likes this.
  13. explorerx7

explorerx7 Expert Member
      143/173

Blog Posts:
    Well, that's how it is in Jamaica. Even in volatile areas you will find people who are willing to help and not try to take advantage of your situation and go out of their way to ensure that you are safe.

14. OursIsTheFury

OursIsTheFury Expert Member
      153/173

Blog Posts:
    Easiest way to do it is to go to a fast food chain and order a drink, the cheapest one, and act like you are waiting for someone to arrive. At least, that's what I did when I had to get behind and stay during a trip, and I had to wait for the next ride that will come in the morning. The employees didn't bother me much as long as I ordered, and I got to be at a pretty safe place with lighting and security, all while munching on some fries every now and again, just to waste as much time as possible until the sun came up. It was pretty fun, there were a few people here and there, but they never really bothered me, and most of the people are teenagers who are looking to get something to eat after a long night out.

15. judyd1

judyd1 New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    I got this idea from watching a movie where the couple were hiding out from gangsters, I think: they pulled their car over into a used car lot, put one of the for sale signs on the front windshield, and laid down to sleep. It worked until the owner showed up and walked through the car lot. At least they were safe and out of sight.

Other ideas: sleep across the street from a police station, or in a hospital parking lot. A lot of truckers pull over in the Wal-mart parking lot and sleep, and the manager never causes any trouble for them. It's not hard to find places to park in the city, but in the country is a whole different problem. Most people who live in the country can spot a car that doesn't belong in the neighborhood from a mile away.

If you are driving and really can't make it to the next town for whatever reason, then a convenience store is still a good bet.

If you are on foot and get stranded, I'd go for the idea just above this comment: pick an all night fast food place and order occasionally to keep management happy. If you have no money and need to sleep, ask for a local phone book and call any YMCA/YWCA, local shelters, churches, Masonic Lodge, etc. and ask for local resources and who they would recommend for help.

Also, most states have a 211 service. It works similarly to the 911 service, except 211 is for statewide resources of all kinds, from how can I pay my water bill to who has used furniture to give away. Speaking of that, Facebook also has sites in just about every town for free things, or resources. It doesn't hurt to know all of your options.

16. Christavia

Christavia New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    Thank you for reiterating that point as many seem to think otherwise but even the junky came to my rescue.

17. lucidcuber

lucidcuber New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    I tried to sleep in my car one night, but found it to be almost impossible. A social gathering once ended at about 3am, and I planned to just sleep in my car for that one night, but it was so uncomfortable there was literally no hope of achieving that. Eventually I just had to endure the hour long journey home despite fatigue, just so I could get home to a comfortable bed.

hades_leae likes this.
  18. OfTheEarth

OfTheEarth Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    Bahaha, I've been homeless for like 2 months. Parks are where it's at, staying awake overnight and sleeping under a tree at a park for the day is ideal. I am literally leaving for a more permanent location tomorrow morning, I've got a thousand stories from the last 2 months. Weird homeless druggie dudes trying to be gay prostitutes in my general direction, people appearing out of nowhere while I'm zombie sleepy in a bathroom but was only there cuz it's so damn cold at 3 am. Meeting people who's husband got shot on fathers day and her kids were too young to even really understand, dudes on heroin even though he lost a love to heroin...got a thousand more. Street life is pretty badass, not far from survivalist mentality :)

Edit: I definitely credit a lot of my survivalist nature to me having such a comfortable time, would not recommend though. I've been walking around at 2 am with a laptop on my arm through sketch neighborhoods, do not do unless you have balls and nothing to lose lol

Edit2: "comfortable"

19. iseeyou

iseeyou Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    I wouldn't sleep on the streets, that's asking for trouble, besides i probably wouldn't be able to really sleep anyway, i'll just be anxious the whole time anticipating any drunk person to beat me up or something. Perhaps, find the nearest convenience store or fast food chain, order a drink and just sit there for as long as you can before until they shoo you away, at least you were able to pass the time.

20. hades_leae

hades_leae Active Member
      48/93

Blog Posts:
    I enjoyed sleeping in my car, I was so comfortable, I had the air condition running, music playing, and laying on the leather was also relaxing as well. I don't know why many people find it un-comfortable to sleep in their cars, some people make a living that way. It's almost like sleeping on a sofa, and the seats are soft. I would agree heavily if you had to sleep in the back of a cops car haha.

There was this man who worked on a on-shore oil rig, he drove 3 states just to make the money that they paid, and did it for one month, he mentioned that he didn't want to pay for a hotel when he had a big jeep to sleep in. Sometimes you do what you need to do.

21. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I've slept in my car several times, not a problem, I think one night is doable if you take precautions, its if its any longer than that it becomes more problematic.

22. OfTheEarth

OfTheEarth Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    Bahaha, bunch of little girls! The trick is to stay awake all night and then sleep in a busy park during the day, it's quite safe in my experience. Even then, if not, you can always find a spot and just get 4 hours in, find somewhere to get a little nap in later. You make it work when you gotta, that's for sure :D

23. Toast

Toast New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    I would like to avoid ever sleeping on the street, but I think it's something that's doable. I think it's really hard to find a place that's completely risk free. I think if you're in a fairly public place, people will tend not to mess with you. It's also nice to be a light sleeper in these situations, you wouldn't want someone getting the jump on you. I think if you can find a house to sleep in, just for the night, it's probably your best bet. Besides that, a park bench would probably do nicely.

24. Eric Graham

Eric Graham New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    Not only a survival story but a lesson in humanity. Trust your fellow humans and more often or not they will come through. You should never judge based on personal appearance, ever. Glad you had this experience and hopefully others will get to live something like this, not being stranded and lost, but being helped by your fellow man when all seems lost.

25. filmjunkie08

filmjunkie08 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    I could sleep in my car. But, sleeping on the streets in an urban area is another thing. At leas in my car, I can park in a Walmart parking lot and lock my doors. On the street, you don't have any safety measures.

26. OfTheEarth

OfTheEarth Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    ^ The thing is, when you're on the streets, you're totally free. Your choice to be where you wanna go. You just need some form of income and then you beast down. If you gotta ask people for change, you do that. If you have work, you do that. It's really, really simple :)

27. Vinaya

Vinaya Expert Member
      143/173

Blog Posts:
    Many years ago, when I was a high school student, I had to spend three days on the street. I was in a strange city and I was robbed. I did not money for lodging and food I did not know anyone in the city,vthus I lived on the street for three days until a money order from my house came to me. Western Union was unknown concept in that time and the fastest way to send money was a money order by postal service.

28. DrPBandJelly

DrPBandJelly New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    This has happened to me before, living in a shady part of South America. It really was quite scary. But nothing at all happened. I just had to sleep in an alley, and I tried to keep a low profile and not be noticed by the homeless fellas living there.

29. QtheMyst

QtheMyst Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    I've had to sleep in the car a couple times when I was traveling and there was an emergency. It definitely wasn't comfortable and I didn't get a lot of sleep but it worked out okay. It was not a very good part of town so I parked in a well lit lot. I generally carry a couple blankets in my car just in case I need to sleep somewhere unexpected for a night. I have only used them for sleeping a couple times but they come in very handy for a wide variety of uses so I'm glad I picked up this habit.

30. My3Sons_NJ

My3Sons_NJ New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    If you are fortunate enough to live in ore close to a medium to large city, subway platforms are a good place to sleep since they are protected from the elements with very few people present at night. Another good place is under the boardwalk at many shore towns since you get the calming sounds of the ocean w/ decent protection from the elements (and the great salt air as well).

31. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    NEVER but never trust someone you do not know, especially in a big city, go to sleep and your new "friend" will rob you blind...or worse.