Surviving the modern South Africa.

Discussion in 'Survival Stories' started by Mekada, Oct 7, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Mekada

Mekada Master Survivalist
      270/345

Blog Posts:
    Roughly two weeks ago I decided to go to my local shop which is no more than 200m from my house so I thought why not just quickly walk to the shop. Earlier that day I had found a knife that used to belong to my father but has become rather rusty and damaged so i spent the Saturday afternoon cleaning it and fixing what I could thinking that this knife not only held some sentimental value but i can carry it every day for my EDC.

That evening i took my "new" knife and wallet and set off. I wanted to know how it would compare in weight and size to my other pocket knife. This decision would prove to be a wise one as not even 15 minutes later I was attacked.

Admiringly walking around at night alone is not a good idea even if you are a big strong guy. Approximately 50 meters from my home 3 men started to cross the street in my direction. Not in my general direction or to pass me by but for me. When they were appropriately 15 meters from me one pulled out a knife and flicked it open. I knew I was in trouble. 2 years prior they attempted to high jack me at knife point and although I fought them off and won I was cut badly and required alot of stitches. The second time around I had a knife but I was being surrounded by one guy with a knife and one with a tazer. I stepped up against a wall hoping to eliminate the flanking that the inevitably wanted to employ. And then it began.

As the knife guy came in ice pick style seeking an opening the moment I turned my back i felt impacts but I knew that the main threat was the knife guy. I lunged at his attacks and managed to cut him a few times while simultaneously fending off the tazer guy. The third attacker kept lookout and two minutes later they retreated.

I initially felt no pain as i was pumped up from all the adrenaline but then decided to go back to corner garage and seek help. Thats when they pointed out that my thumb had been cut badly and I was bleeding on my shoulder and back.

After an agonizing trip to the doctor, the tally came down to 9 wounds and over twenty stitches. I thank God that it went so well as many, many others don't survive their first encounter with armed criminals much less a second one.

This ordeal has once again put into perspective that for many South Africans there is a daily SHTF situation and not much we can do about it. Guns are restricted and expensive and criminals know that if they are caught they have virtually nothing to fear as we have a constitution with the highest human rights, even for criminals.

I guess my question is how do we survive the everyday crises in order to make it to the ticking time bomb that is South African society.

jeager, HappyJackSlade and Keith H. like this.
  2. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I really don't know how bad things are there, it has been a long time since I visited South Africa. There were tensions back then between blacks & whites. I guess only you can judge whether or not it is bad enough to warrant leaving or not.
    Frankly if for some reason I had to stay & yet it was dangerous to do so, I would be getting a gun, regardless of cost. My life is worth more than that. Personally I think you are better off carrying a baseball bat than a knife. I have been attacked & so have my sons, but these were isolated incidents & not something that you can expect on a normal day/night. If it is illegal to carry a gun, conceal it & carry it anyway. As they say, better to be judged by 12 than carried by six.

If my life was in danger on a daily basis, no matter how minor the chances, I would be moving. You do not need the stress & your life is more important than anything I can think of except the lives of my family. If I had family there I would be getting them out & going with them. Starting a new life elsewhere.
    Keith.

Mekada likes this.
  3. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    Get the bejesus out of there!
    and like yesterday!
    Even if the crims do not get you the stress will steal a decade or two from you!

Mekada likes this.
  4. Mekada

270/345

Blog Posts:
    I wish I could tell you that the "rainbow nation" thing works but after more than 20 years the multi culture melting pot didn't blend all that well.

We have daily riots and protests ... either from people who are unhappy with service delivery or dissatisfied with a politician or so on. The latest thing is the "fees must fall movement" whose mission it is to attain free tertiary education for all. A noble idea in principle but the way they have been going about their business is frankly horrible. They have burned priceless buildings to the ground, assaulted fellow students and lecturers and even tussle with police, injuring some. The cost of the damages so far is in excess of R600 000 000. (the conversion factor to dollars is approximately 14:1)

Our gun laws are very strict but it is not impossible to get a gun. The problem with illegal firearms is that if you are caught, you will go to jail for a long time and the prisons here are notoriously bad.

I will most definitely be getting a firearm even if it is just something like a small J-frame revolver. But finances a bit tough at the moment as I lost my job a while back and have been struggling to get back on my feet.

I like your style Keith! A baseball bat is a great way to end a fight quickly. But my pocket knife, as small as he was, saved my bacon.

Indeed a lot of people would like to immigrate as you gentleman pointed out but the costs are staggering. For a single person it would be cost approximately R100 000 or in your case close to $7000. That is a lot of money for most people with the cost of living expenses most people can't reach that.

So in the meantime I will have to endure and survive until I can either go to the land of the free or maybe Canada.

Keith H. likes this.
  5. Arkane

275/297

Blog Posts:
    Take a holiday, then seek asylum!

If you get your words and actions right your in!

Mekada likes this.
  6. Mekada

270/345

Blog Posts:
    That might not be such a bad idea Arkane! But I would have no idea what to say or do to make that happen.

7. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    A tough position to be in. If you do get to move, I suggest Canada or Australia.
    Keith.

Mekada likes this.
  8. Mekada

270/345

Blog Posts:
    Thank you Keith. Australia is a great place and so is Canada. Many South Africans live in both those places and love it! It would be sad to leave this country though as many generations of my family's blood has been spilled defending it...

Keith H. likes this.
  9. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    after South Africa you might find the Canadian winters a bit cold!

Mekada and Keith H. like this.
  10. Mekada

270/345

Blog Posts:
    Hahaha. I guess but I don't the cold so much.

11. Arkane

275/297

Blog Posts:
    The country is lost! no point flogging a dead horse.
    Hook up with some ex countrymen in Aus or Canada and ask the right questions!

If you can get to Australia and get work through your ex-countrymen then claim it would be dangerous for you to return ( you will need to premanufacture some events/story for this with some form of evidence like a detailed diary or such) then persist somewhat you will in most probability get to stay!

Not that I would encourage anyone to do such a thing in reality! but if ragheads can do it why not you?

Mekada likes this.
  12. Mekada

270/345

Blog Posts:
    I will definitely try to get in contact with some expats and find out more. I could ask for a copy of the police report. Those guys are everywhere these days... Ironically in SA we don't have a issue with them as they aren't many of them. We do have a lot of Indians though. Especially in KwaZulu-Natal.

13. Mekada

270/345

Blog Posts:
  14. Mekada

270/345

Blog Posts:

Be careful out there guys...

15. HappyJackSlade

HappyJackSlade Well-Known Member
      90/115

Blog Posts:
    Very happy to hear you made it out again

Mekada likes this.
  16. Mekada

270/345

Blog Posts:
    Much appreciated friend!

HappyJackSlade likes this.
  17. HappyJackSlade

90/115

Blog Posts:
    I moved to Australia from SA 38 years ago. It's s beautiful country but it's gone to crap. Moving here was the best move my folks could have made

Mekada likes this.
  18. Mekada

270/345

Blog Posts:
    I hear you! A lot of us want to leave but there are financial constraints that prohibits us from doing so. I want to go to Canada and start a new life there. I don't believe that it will be easy but it damn sure won't be as bad as it is here.

19. HappyJackSlade

90/115

Blog Posts:
    We were given 2 choices Csnada and Aus. We chose Aus Csnada gets damn cold in winter lol

Mekada likes this.
  20. Mekada

270/345

Blog Posts:
    I don't know... After all this hellish heat lately i would not mind the snow at all.

21. HappyJackSlade

90/115

Blog Posts:
    It's not just the snow in Canada it's the bitter winter cold lol. Have Canadian friend whom hate the cold winter weather

Mekada likes this.
  22. Mekada

270/345

Blog Posts:
    I have heard Australia has similar weather to South Africa but with more lethal critters. I have heard the same and they say acclimatizing to cold conditions from hot bush land could be challenging.

23. HappyJackSlade

90/115

Blog Posts:
    Lol the only lethal critters we have are the snakes in the country areas and even then you're lucky to see one. There are crocodiles in the top part of Australia but that's very hard to get to and you just don't swim up in northern Australia. That's about it.

24. Mekada

270/345

Blog Posts:
    What about those bad ass spiders? I have heard that a Kuala will bite you and that it has rabies. The platypus has a lethal spike that is very poisonous. There are lots of other creatures that are potentially life threatening. We have a lot of problems but the wildlife is really one of them unless you disturb them.

25. HappyJackSlade

90/115

Blog Posts:
    I have spent 27 years hunting and camping across most of Australia. Koalas eat leaves and spend most of their time sleeping and I've never seen one in the wild. Largest spider I've ever seen is a huntsman the size of my hand but pretty much harmless and we don't have Rabies in Australia

26. HappyJackSlade

90/115

Blog Posts:
    We do have large bird spiders but in the Queensland rain Forrest areas. You are safer here than I feel any other country in the world as far as critters go

27. Mekada

270/345

Blog Posts:
    I guess that there is a great deal of misinformation about Australia as many people simply go with word of mouth from other people who probably have not been there. There is large communities of South African expats living in Australia and love it there. A bit of a culture shock but we love the same things. I do understand that it is rather expensive to live there in comparison to SA.

28. HappyJackSlade

90/115

Blog Posts:
    Well in my last state of WA where I lived I worked in the mining industry and my minimum wage a week was $3200 a week clear after tax lol. It is an expensive place to live but we have one of the best health support systems, and work is still plentiful. There are huge South African communities here across the country. But I've been here so long I consider myself Australia not Southafrican

Mekada likes this.
  29. Mekada

270/345

Blog Posts:
    That really isn't bad. I would probably feel the same way if I were in your shoes. Unfortunately we don't have a lot of work opportunities and our mining sectors are collapsing due to unions and operations costs and BEE. Young people are generally depressed because the odds of making it are slim, even with a college degree.

30. HappyJackSlade

90/115

Blog Posts:
    We had strong unions in the past but the Government has brought in policies that have just decimated unions and their hold on the country

Mekada likes this.
  31. Mekada

270/345

Blog Posts:
  32. Mekada

270/345

Blog Posts:
  33. HappyJackSlade

90/115

Blog Posts:
    Mekada likes this.
  34. Mekada

270/345

Blog Posts:
    What a bunch of idiots running this country!

35. HappyJackSlade

90/115

Blog Posts:
    You got that right aye.

36. jeager

jeager Master Survivalist
      272/345

Blog Posts:
    I think South Africa is off my travel plans.
    Restrictive gun laws and locals hate whites.
    In the U.S. gun laws aren't so restrictive but it's gotten worse in Liberal politics.
    U.S. blacks hate U.S. whites just because they do.
    After all an ancestor might have been a slave.
    Never mind at least an destimated 650,000 white men DIED fighting for or against
    "States Rights". The right to enslave humans.

37. Mekada

270/345

Blog Posts:
    Do yourself a favor and watch some local South African news... Daily riots, burning down police stations, using heavy machinery to destroy police vehicles... It is crazy. Then again I have been living with communists for over 20 years and they started out like your ANTIFA. Look at us now. Absolutely ruined.

38. jeager

272/345

Blog Posts:

I'm sorry things have turned out that way.
    I doubt it's practical to pack, unroot, and go to another country.
    If that happened here it would be so difficult to leave our homeland.
    We in the U.S. are the only nation with anything like a Second Amendment.
    Still our liberals try and try to pass even more restrictive gun laws.
    There are liberals who try to stop hunting and even fishing.
    People for the ethical treatment of animals are themselves engaging in terrorist acts.
    They burn research centers for using lab rats as experimental objects.
    Also they attack fishing tournaments by using boats to splash fishermen and throw rocks in the water to scare fish away.
    How silly is that!
    The flippin' fish by rule MUST be released alive after weighing.
    PETA people have even left poisoned dog food on public hunting grounds to kill hunting dogs.
    PETA accepts large "donations" from businesses or they picket the business to disrupt service.
    Extortion pure and simple.
    Still it's nothing like the crimes you endure.
    Blessings to you and yours.

Near me was a huge commercial mink farm.
    PETA people sneaked in one night and released hundreds of mink.
    That created a disaster as there wasn't a wild rabbit for years and even house cats
    were attacked and eaten.
    Eventually the mink starved out.
    Ethical?
    No it isn't.
    Prayers for you and yours.

Old Geezer and Mekada like this.
  39. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    I think it goes a lot deeper than the slave trade. The whites have hated blacks for years, & many still do. Blacks were still being killed, especially in the south well after the slave trade had finished. I don't blame black Americans one little bit for hating the whites.
    Keith.

40. Mekada

270/345

Blog Posts:
    Thank you and I agree. I have always thought those people from Peta were insane. We are unfortunately living in a era were there is so much bad blood between everyone in this country. Hundreds years of it in fact. I just want to live in peace and do my own thing but it seems like that is not on the cards.

41. jeager

272/345

Blog Posts:

It isn't the hating whites so much as it's the violence inflicted upon whites.

Since Nelson Mandela and the communist African National Congress (ANC) took over South Africa, more than 70,000 whites have been murdered and untold numbers have been robbed, raped and tortured.

White Genocide in South Africa,a group based in America, with the intention of seeking world attention on the white minority has lodged a claim with the International Criminal Courts in The Hague against genocide of whites.

and for more.............................

Daniel Patrick Moynihan zeroed in on the disintegration of the nuclear family as the root cause of African-American poverty and crime in the mid-1960s, the out-of-wedlock birth rate for black Americans was 25 percent.

More on the internet if one would just look.

As for me I grew up a white, dirt poor, child, in a BLACK neighborhood.
    I though my name was "honky kid" and "nigga" was a term of affection. Until they threw rocks at me
    and my mother.
    I was a white cop in a city at least 40% black. Where was ALL the violent crime?
    Yup. In the black neighborhoods.
    I suffered 13 serious injuries including my back broken 4 times effecting arrests on black
    criminals.
    Sure I arrested plenty of white people, usually young white males, for fighting, minor drug violations,
    theft, etc.
    Most of all our "trouble calls" were in "da hood."
    Being truthful, factual, isn't racist.
    Welfare is NOT a way of life.
    Ebonics should not be an accepted language. Sadly it's accepted in some universities.

• E·bon·ics1
      /ēˈbäniks/
      noun
      1. American black English regarded as a language in its own right rather than as a dialect of standard English.
    Being stupid should not be a "right" either.

Old Geezer and Mekada like this.
  42. Mekada

270/345

Blog Posts:

Well said Jeager. Unfortunately those number are not nearly the actual numbers.

43. jeager

272/345

Blog Posts:
    If it weren't for white settlers in South Africa the "locals" would still be spearing snakes and wild pigs
    for food.
    AND spearing each other.
    It's NOT racist when it's the truth.

Skin pigment ain't got squat to do with anything.

Mekada and Old Geezer like this.
  44. remnant

remnant Expert Member
      190/230

Blog Posts:
    Add to the fact that South Africa has tragically turned xenophobic. Its no longer whites who are targeted. Mobs are targeting blak nationals from neighbouring countries accusing them of taking their jobs, businesses and even women. I have read about this in the mass media. If I happen to go there, Iwould first of all learn one of the local dialects.

Mekada likes this.
  45. jeager

272/345

Blog Posts:
    Haven't indigenous peoples of Africa been killing each other well before white man came?
    Answer: Yes.
    Haven't indigenous peoples of Africa raided villages, killed, took young children and women
    as slaves?
    Answer: Yes.
    If white man never set foot in Africa would natives still be throwing spears at animals for food?
    You betcha.
    Did native Africans capture other native Africans and sell them to white slave traders?
    Sure did.
    Would native Americans still be chasing animals with spear, bow and arrow, to get food?
    Yes.
    And native Americans would still be chasing food on FOOT.
    Recall there were no horses in the America's way back when.
    Another contribution by white man.
    Racial comments?
    No, it's just truth.

Mekada and Old Geezer like this.
  46. Clara1993

Clara1993 Active Member
      38/58

Blog Posts:
    That's a sad Story But thank God You survived to those South African people they are just ignorant people Who are filled with hatred and most of them are heartless, You should try to find your way out there Who knows what they can do next time, :-(

Mekada likes this.
  47. jeager

272/345

Blog Posts:
    MOVE!
    Leave S.A.
    It can't be easy but S.A. is only going to get worse for European people.

Mekada likes this.
  48. Clara1993

Clara1993 Active Member
      38/58

Blog Posts:
    Hi Jeager, It's not only Europeans but All strangers who are in South Africa seem to be in danger From what I read and hear in news, I saw a video in news showing how kids in Schools are torturing Their mates just because they are not from the same country!!!
    I would move as well they say " Safety stands against every great and noble entreprise " :) so move go to a peaceful place and start a new life :)

Mekada likes this.
  49. jeager

272/345

Blog Posts:

It must be awful there.
    Prayers for all.

Mekada likes this.
  50. Pieter Visagie

Pieter Visagie New Member
      1/25

Blog Posts:
    That is why I carry a gun. I don't play games anymore.

Sterkte!

Mekada likes this.