Swords.Self-Defense.

Discussion in 'Primitive Tools and Weapons' started by Keith H., Jun 11, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I own two swords, one I purchased off the shelf & customised myself, the other was custom made for me by a close friend who is a Bowyer & knife maker.
    Swords are good for self defence, but in order to use them to their best advantage, you really need to learn sword fighting. The tomahawk can be used in much the same way as a sword, & it does not take long to learn the basic moves.
    If you never learn how to sword fight properly, you can always throw it like a rabbit stick!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    My basket hilt sword.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    My hunting sword.

2. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    It is good to bring a sword to a knife fight but not a gunfight

3. Endure

Endure Expert Member
      130/140

Blog Posts:
    A beautiful craft, The hunting sword was made by you Bowyer & Knife maker friend?. The basket-hilted sword has a similar design to a rapier, but the latter can be used only as a thrusting weapons, the former is also useful for slashing.

4. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    No Endure, the Basket Hilt Scottish broadsword is a double edged sword, not a rapier. Both swords are for cutting & slashing.
    Keith.

5. Valerie

Valerie Active Member
      43/47

Blog Posts:
    Gorgeous blades you have there, sir. I own two Japanese katana myself. And a few rather lengthy, serrated edge combat knives. I love swords and knives. The skill needed to wield them deftly really is a martial art.
    Definitely always a nice thing to have around in the event of a home invasion. Of course, a sword can do nothing against a gun, but if you can get in range before the person thinks to fire, then you might have chance.

Keith H. likes this.
  6. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Or you can throw the sword if you have the room, even if only as a distraction to give you a chance to get away. They have to duck or move to avoid the sword, & with any luck they may get hit. This can also be a good move against a group. The French first line in medieval times was men with French tomahawks. They would throw these tomahawks into the oncoming ranks of the enemy. They really couldn't miss hitting someone!
    Keith.
    [​IMG] The French style axe/tomahawk.

7. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Home Depot is now selling a sword in addition to its regular home and garden supplies.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Tradema...val-Sword-w-Sheath-Silver-20-901117/320830717

"Stainless Steel William Wallace Medieval Sword w/Sheath Silver"

"Reclaim your FREEDOM from the tyrannical English king with this authentic William Wallace sword. This sword is a replica of the sword William Wallace wielded in the movie Braveheart. The blade is made of polished stainless steel and is double edged. The hilt and pommel are composed of polished metal and the handle is wrapped in leather. The sword comes complete with an authentic rough leather sheath that includes a strap to attach this 40.75 in. sword to your belt.

" Polished stainless steel double edged blade
    Polished metal hilt and pommelleather wrapped handle
    Rough leather sheath with belt strap
    40.75 in. overall length, 29.5 in. stainless steel double edged blade"

upload_2024-1-27_11-11-34.png

upload_2024-1-27_11-12-57.png
    upload_2024-1-27_11-13-33.png

upload_2024-1-27_11-14-5.png

TMT Tactical likes this.
  8. Brownbear

Brownbear Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    Nice ornament, no use whatsoever for prepping.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  9. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    a decent broadsword would be too heavy and too bulky for most people to use, real Knights practiced for years until they were fully skilled in its use.

TMT Tactical and Brownbear like this.