Take Self-Defense Classes?

Discussion in 'General Q&A' started by John Snort, Jun 2, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. John Snort

John Snort Well-Known Member
      92/93

Blog Posts:
    I watched Revolution [an old TV series] recently and what I learned from it was that when shtf if you can't defend yourself or your family unless you find people who can protect you or hide in some cave forever, you'll won't survive long.

Should all preppers take self-defense classes so in case you don't have any weapons you can still fight off anyone who tries to steal your supplies?

2. DaBozzLady

DaBozzLady Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    Hmm, well, I would say a little goes along way. Nothing feels better than knowing you can protect yourself-whether it's mentally, physically, emotionally or financially. I know there are roles for each member in a group but there's always the "what if" moment that might come when the so called protector is off getting your next meal or scouting and the prepper is alone at camp. Then what? I'm not saying he/she has to be a medal winning swordsman or win the main prize in an archery contest, but at least know the basics and be able to protect themselves.

Self defense will give you additional self control, stability and self-confidence. All of these will work in your favor while helping you to become better equipped and more aware of your surroundings. It will allow you to develop the extra conditioning that your physical body will need while keeping you adept at self-discipline that we all will need when SHTF.

John Snort likes this.
  3. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Personally I think you are better off just using a gun. Getting into close contact with someone bigger & stronger than you is dangerous no matter how good you are. Yes hand to hand martial arts can be useful & may even save your life, but don't bank on it. If you are going to learn a martial art, I suggest street fighting. Something that uses hands & feet, like Karate, Kick Boxing, Savate would be good also. Judo has its place & can be useful. There are others that I have not had experience with. Learning more than one method is always a plus.
    Keith.

joegirl and John Snort like this.
  4. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    Take a good course yes two reasons one you can defend yourself two the work out will get you in better shape to survive

5. glreese

glreese Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    My dad taught me some self defense skills. He was in the marines. He made sure to give me lots of tips and taught me some different moves. I also carry pepper spray. But besides that I am considering taking a self defense class at my college. It is free so I figured it might be a good time investment. It never hurts to know more.

6. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    Self defense training or martial arts is a good preparation. At least you will know the techniques of how to maintain presence of mind. It's not much of the fighting but of the mind conditioning. I have no training in self defense but I had a sort of training when my father was teaching me how to ride the horse. A horse jockey also needs a good mental condition and not only the physical is important. In terms of disaster, the first breakdown would be the mental aspect so that is my stand on the self defense, not much for the physical but more on the mental and emotional aspects.

When my husband was a karate student at age 12, what was instilled in their minds is the proper engaging. When you are attacked, run away from the attacker and if the attacker chases you, run until 100 meters before you stop and engage the attacker into a fight. That 100 meters will give you time to condition your mind on what to do - to fight or to run - and if to fight, how to fight. Clearly, mind conditioning is paramount.

7. Harrysung

Harrysung New Member
      8/25

Blog Posts:
    Not yet, but I have it on my to do list. I love chinese martial arts and I plan learning it for self defense purposes.

Self defense is necessary for survival in chaotic situations, I would advise that you learn it.

8. Kanagirl

Kanagirl New Member
      8/25

Blog Posts:
    When SHTF I think EVERYONE needs to be able to defend themselves, hand to hand. But I think some forms of self defense will be useless. Disarming someone just won't be enough all the time. It'll be important to pick the right self defense class, (or teacher).

9. Bishop

Bishop Master Survivalist
      335/345

Blog Posts:
    Line training

10. joegirl

joegirl Member
      18/29

Blog Posts:
    Yes, I totally support taking self defence classes. I have been planning to start a class for some time now but never seem to find the time to do this. And I agree with @Keith views. Always better to have more than one option. If you can, maybe have a small hand-gun or even a small knife as a back up. In case your attacker has a black belt in Karate :)

Keith H. likes this.
  11. Neiltarquin

Neiltarquin Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    Nope. I guess it's to late for me to learn the skill. My body is too stiff and my reflexes are slow. I'd rather study to be a good shot... That can take me somewhere...

12. airfightermax

airfightermax Member
      18/29

Blog Posts:
    I don't take classes but I think I'll fare should something dangerous happen to me.

I think situational awareness is what we should try to achieve first. Good situational awareness will help you more than martial arts lessons in keeping you safe IMO.

13. texsun54

texsun54 Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    Throughout life I have had some martial arts training, and I was amateur wrestler in school, but I don't want to rely on physically engaging with anyone for defense, especially in a world without rule of law. Too many things can go wrong, they may be better trained, have a hidden weapon, or might just get in lucky punch and then you are at their mercy. You just have to have your head on a swivel and constantly aware of your surroundings, and be prepared to act fast and first in a threatening situation.

14. WildSpirit

WildSpirit Active Member
      48/58

Blog Posts:
    I don't think it's in dire need, but if you have some time left over (and depending on where you live) it's extremely valuable to learn. After all, you'll never know when you'll need to fight something or someone, right? :p