Tankless Water heaters?

Discussion in 'Creating and Using Electricity' started by OfTheEarth, Jun 18, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. OfTheEarth

OfTheEarth Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    Are there any tankless water heaters that are good for outdoors use? I figured this would probably be the ideal way to get hot water in a modern context, sure you can warm it up either way, but one of these would probably be more ideal if you can manage the setup. Not something to rely on at all times, but hey, if you can sustain it :)

I also remember seeing this mulch pile thing used to warm up water, don't remember where that was though.

2. joshposh

joshposh Master Survivalist
      260/345

Blog Posts:
    You can use a indoor one just keep it covered and out of the elements. If you were off the grid you can easily take out the AC (alternating current) heating element and replace it with a DC (direct current) version. From there you just supply it with current provided by solar panels or wind turbines.

This is not necessarily a survival trick. More like a perk to have a hot bath. If you really want a hot bath do it like they did a long time ago. Pots of water over a fire and that's what you put into your cast iron tub. Or do what is shown below.

SVDmfWu8y7U03BkG4KpO5rkt6XTYd8yb.jpeg SVDmfWu8y7U03BkG4KpO5rkt6XTYd8yb.jpeg

3. OfTheEarth

OfTheEarth Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    ^ Nice! Those are sweet, but I was thinking having a rig that always gave hot water would be far superior to that, especially if it is reliable enough that it lasts for a while. That is always a premium plan B, but I don't see any other option that's as good as having a tankless out there :)

4. My3Sons_NJ

My3Sons_NJ New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    I know Rheem makes a decent outdoor tankless water heater for about $500 that can supply one or, if you are lucky, two bathrooms in a house. If money is not a HUGE consideration (it is always a consideration), then you could spend $1200-$1500 and get a tankless water heater that should supply most of your cooking and bathing needs for all but a large house. There are many portable tankless water heaters than can be used for camping (and a quick hot shower), but an alternate energy source such as propane is needed to heat the water.

5. joshposh

260/345

Blog Posts:
    So you want water pressure? You didn't stipulate if this is a scenario where there is no grid or utilities. In a preppers world or homesteading far out in the boonies, there is no water pressure and you have to create it with tanks that are above you, or pumped out of the ground. As I've said, you need a DC heating element and an old inline water heater (no tank) and a power supply like that of solar panels or wind turbine.

LAv6VtQXSum4hNJk-ozabOx9lRR-eDdG.jpeg LAv6VtQXSum4hNJk-ozabOx9lRR-eDdG.jpeg

6. OfTheEarth

OfTheEarth Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    Nah, I don't really need pressure, didn't mention it because I am ok with baths and buckets. Childhood wasn't the easiest, lol. As for your suggestions, I still like them :D I'm just sayin, buckets are ok with me :)

7. joshposh

260/345

Blog Posts:
    In that case you can use the heating element and a solar or wind turbine power source to heat up water in a bucket or tank. Real simple set up.

8. OfTheEarth

OfTheEarth Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    Yeah definitely, the tankless is pretty affordable at this stage though. It's also quick as a jiffy, it comes out in a perpetual stream and is more or less worth the investment imo because of how consistent it is at saving time.

9. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    On demand water heaters are great propane heated hot water fast coleman makes a camper one that works great PROPANE MAYBE HARD TO GET. A solar shower is cheap easy to carry add heated water with cold to temp hang and you have a shower anywhere

10. joshposh

260/345

Blog Posts:
    I just found this on YouTube. An easy way to do it using the greenhouse effect. It is time and material consuming, but it is a free energy source.