TEOTWAWKI. Survival. How Prepared Are You?

Discussion in 'The Apocalypse' started by Keith H., Jun 17, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    AQrBvYmQ9zHv_vMiCqqrBnJIXvdKFiOr.jpeg
    TEOTWAWKI. Survival. How Prepared Are You?

How prepared are you? Have you gone to any expense or put much time into your survival plans? Or don’t you really think anything is going to happen anyway, so what is the point in going the whole hog?

The problem is of course, IF there is a survival event, it will be too late to prepare after it has happened. I find myself at that point where I think I have done all I can do without “going the whole hog”. We are off grid & off all services, we are equipped with 18th century technology & some modern technology. We are producing our own food. BUT, if a survival situation arrives that is a direct threat to my family & my home, then we will need to construct a high palisade right round both houses & the garden areas.

To do this now would be inconvenient, because (A) we don’t have the man power that we would have in a survival situation, & (B) the palisade would block our view from the house. It would also use up a lot of our time & resources for something that we may never need.

Going off grid was not difficult, & we have been off grid for many years. It has cost us less to live off grid than it would have done to live in the city. Getting all the necessary tools & equipment together was not a problem, nor did it involve any extra expense. Living off grid is a lifestyle choice, & the items you need to purchase are a part of that lifestyle. The 18th century equipment was purchased to satisfy my interest in Living History, Historical Trekking & experimental archaeology. The fact that we now have all this equipment, supplies, knowledge & skills is a plus in our survival preparations. Indeed, if I had not become interested in 18th century Living History, it would have taken me a lot longer to realise the potential & advantages of this technology over modern technology.

So having told my story, what is yours? Are you really serious about being prepared, or is it just a game? If you are serious, just how far have you got so far, & how far are you prepared to go pre shtf ?
    Keith.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
  2. Morgan101

Morgan101 Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Keith: Seriously!! Nobody ever replied to this thread? JMHO but I really enjoy threads that make you think, and I think it is a very good question.

How prepared am I? For TEOTWAWKI not very. For most other man-made or natural disasters pretty well, and I would definitely differentiate between the two. My prepping has been geared toward the situations I am most likely to encounter. From what I have read and researched I feel very well prepared for anything that would have a duration of 18 months to 2 years. My Plan A is to bug in, and the only thing I can think of that would make me leave would be a flood. It is highly unlikely that we would ever have massive wild fires in our area, but that would also be a reason to leave. Even if my house were burned to the ground, or flattened by a tornado I would stay on the property to salvage what was left, and keep people from looting. I really do not have the option of living in a remote area, so suburban planning is the best we can do.

I know that to be better prepared for a TEOTWAWKI situation I would have to increase my self reliance particularly in the food area. I would have to plant a garden, and fruit trees. I would have to raise whatever food I could in a limited space. Water is not an issue as we have several good sources that are all close. There is an abundance of wildlife in the area. How much will be left after TEOTWAWKI remains to be seen. We could fish. While it would not be convenient, it is at least modest walking distance. There is plenty of wood for heating or cooking; water purification; etc. all quite close.

The thing that has always concerned me for which we have no defense is fire. I don't think any of us have a defense against fire. We could fend off some marauding gangs depending on how many there were. We could fend off the lone wolf who came to steal. We could survive any type of weather, but if a moderately organized group decided to burn you out what would you do? They are going to take whatever they can, and if they can't have it, neither can you. They can burn you out, and salvage whatever is left, and leave you for dead. I don't think they would much care.

I wonder how others feel about this, and what if anything have you done to fireproof your home? Are there other things I am missing?

randyt, Keith H. and TMT Tactical like this.
  3. Yenix

Yenix Well-Known Member
      67/115

Blog Posts:
    Morgan, I am not sure that there is ANY way to protect your home from a looting horde and it is true that they would most probably will not just let go... You would stand a better chance having the same-minded people you trust around you, so you can protect your homes together, which is not always possible.

The reason. that people are not replying much to this thread might be that telling much can make you a target I guess. I started to write a long reply here, but soon I understood that it is not very clever to disclose most of those things on a public forum...

TMT Tactical and Morgan101 like this.
  4. Morgan101

Morgan101 Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:

Good points. I like to think I keep my responses general enough that I am not divulging to much information.

Keith H. likes this.
  5. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    My goal is to be the last man standing in my complex. That would allow me to move and store hidden resources in over a few dozen very close locations. It would take a very large and very well organized group to track me down or pin me to one location. I just don't see that happening. A slow social collapse (VZ type) is my worst situation because it would mandate me to go stand in line for food, just like everybody else. I would have to blend in, follow the herd or become a target for those that may suspect I have supplies. I have taken the precautions that will allow me to be the last man standing. Stored food, water, ammo and weapons. Planned escape routes, planed defensive routs. Planned booby traps for pursuing opponents. I also have planned tactics and methods to convince folks it really was a very bad idea to chase after an old guy.

Keith H. likes this.
  6. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    So long as you do not tell anyone where you are living Yenix, I fail to see how answering this post would endanger you in any way. How does what I have written endanger myself & my family?
    Keith.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  7. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Agreed Morgan & many thanks for your response.
    We have fire pumps, & our house has been built to fireproof standards for living out bush. However, I have been in bushfires before, & if a major one comes through, I will start the sprinkler system going & evacuate.
    Keith.
    f35700e0fb199217da65b34b8b0998b6.jpeg

Morgan101 and TMT Tactical like this.
  8. randyt

randyt Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    there are a lot of great threads hidden within this forum

Keith H., TMT Tactical and Sourdough like this.
  9. Sourdough

Sourdough "eleutheromaniac"
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  10. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:

Sorry to hear that IBME. Old and Deaf I can relate to and it can be dealt with, but blind is not conducive to wilderness living. Where do you plan to relocate to, in general terms?

Sourdough likes this.
  11. Sourdough

Sourdough "eleutheromaniac"
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    I don't know............but likely someplace in Alaska. It is interesting, that I can't walk away from the prepping mentality. I have been studying maps of likely targets in Alaska if there comes a war, and then studying the prevailing wind in the target areas. Then factoring in hospitals and very rural towns.

TMT Tactical and Keith H. like this.
  12. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    My attitude to getting old is that I will keep on going no matter what. Crippled, deaf, blind, if that were the case I would do the best I can with what I have. If it meant leaving home, then so be it, because what is the alternative?
    Keith.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  13. Hick Industries

Hick Industries Expert Member
      155/173

Blog Posts:
    I spent a lot of time thinking about what conditions I would prepare for. What was my idea of teotwawki. I decided to look back at history and prepare to survive the worst conditions faced by modern man in my area.

Some historical conditions to think about,
    The US Civil War. AD 1861-65.
    The Great Depression. AD 1929-39.
    The Little Ice Age. AD 1350-1850.
    The Year Without a Summer. AD 1816.
    The Dust Bowl Drought. AD 1930-35.
    The Anazazi Drought. AD 1275-1300.
    The New Madrid Quake. AD 1812.
    El Tejon Quake. AD 1859.
    The Cascadia Quake. AD 1300.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  14. poltiregist

poltiregist Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    How prepared are you is a good question and the lack of response speaks loudly . Everyone has to start prepping from scratch unless you are lucky enough to be a descendant of a prepper . A beginner I understand . What I find not to be genuine is someone that thinks they have it all figured out , and from what I can glean from their posts , I suspect would be dead in less than one year if their nation lost electricity . I am not being sarcastic when I say my sympathy goes toward those that realize they probably wouldn't survive . Prepping to live even a few days is better than not prepping at all .

Morgan101 and TMT Tactical like this.
  15. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    i'm as prepped as I can be without going into hermit mode, TEOTWAWKI dosent worry me but it would worry most people especially the sheeple/snowflakes, I have lived without modern conveniences and will just revert to this lifestyle again once the collapse happens, I am far enough out to be last man standing in my area.
    I have collected all of the things I think I will need and any purchases are now just doubling up and trebling up on my supplies.

16. Ystranc

Ystranc Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    I'm prepared in respect of stored food and food production. I'm in an area with good natural resources and low population density. My home is more defensible than most and not many people know where I am. For the most part I'm on good enough terms with my neighbours but I also know who I definitely can't trust (even before TSHTF)

17. poltiregist

poltiregist Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Like Ystranc I have already obtained every item I can conceive that I might need . With lots of fish and wild animals around , I see no reason we couldn't live relatively comfortable for many years . We have a medical trained person in the group . For my age my health is great . Even after my death this group will go on . I have trained my kids and grandkids well in the survival skills they will need after I am gone . My 16 year old grandson returned today from a survival quest . I am not sure how many days he was in the woods . We will probably discuss his trip tomorrow . Several times a year he will go into the woods with minimum supplies to survive the old way . I gave him a deer skin possible bag along with flint and steel for Christmas .

TMT Tactical, Morgan101 and Ystranc like this.
  18. Yenix

Yenix Well-Known Member
      67/115

Blog Posts:
    Keith, I did some search and most probably it is different in Australia, but in my (small) country, it is so easy to find where you live just from your name and some little information around. Simply by looking up my name in a register of taxpayers will narrow down the search to 3 persons. 2 of those living in urban areas... So when I wrote here I live in a village, you already have my address. That is why...

I checked the Australian business register and did not find addresses there. I guess better protection of privacy in your country.

TMT Tactical likes this.