The Abc Of First Aid.

Discussion in 'First Aid and Medicine' started by Joshmoy, Jul 2, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Joshmoy

Joshmoy New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    First aid is the immediate help or treatment given to an injured victim in an emergency before the arrival of a medical personnel, or before the victim is taken to the hospital.

It is pertinent to have fore knowledge of first aid before administering treatment to a victim to prevent complicating the victim's situation.

There are 3 principles that can be followed in resuscitation of a victim. They are also referred to as ABC of first aid.

A stands for Airways,
    B stands for breathing, and
    C stands for Circulation.

When faced with a situation where by resuscitation is needed, following this principle will work for you.

Firstly, check the airways to see if the victim's airways have not been blocked by anything. The major airways of the body are the nose and mouth. Try to open the airways by tilting the head and raising the chin slightly. If the mouth is closed, try to open it so the victim can take in air.

Secondly, check to see if the victim is still breathing. Look at the chest to know if the victim is breathing, put an hear to the victim's chest and try to listen if the heart is still beating. You can try to feel the victim's pulse to also be sure that the victim is breathing.

Lastly, as oxygen enters through the airways and the victim is breathing fine, circulation is needed to carry oxygen to different parts of the body where it is needed.

In a case where the victim is non responsive, perform chest compressions to support circulation. Also, CPR which is Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation can be performed on such victims.

Always remember to use your ABC in case of any emergency. Till then, stay safe.

2. zeedollar

zeedollar New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    Thanks, this is really some usefull information. I remember once carrying out a mouth to mouth resuscitation on a friend and it felt really awkward, but i had to put that behind me and get the job done. Was happy when i was able to revive her after all my administration. Trust that was some day.

3. TsuyoyRival

TsuyoyRival New Member
      9/29

Blog Posts:
    In addiction to the ABC, there is DE (complementing the ABCDE). The D is for Disability, related to neurological examination, or in other words, if the person is conscious or not. The E stands for Exposition, either related to high temperatures, or low temperatures. Evaluating these 2 are also crucial in order to save a person's life :)

4. zeedollar

zeedollar New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    Wow thanks for the addition, Its vital to always know what temperature the person is running to avoid applying the wrong medication to the wrong person. and its always more difficult to apply first aid on an unconscious person.