The "alpha Pan"

Discussion in 'Cooking and Cooking Utensils' started by Pragmatist, May 20, 2020.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  2. varuna

varuna Tree killer & a cat person
      380/460

Blog Posts:
    Bad idea to have aluminum for outdoor cooking / frying pan. Good ol cast iron maybe heavier compare to aluminum, but iron is something our body know how to handle, unlike aluminum which by its nature is a result of byproduct (not found naturally)

wally and TMT Tactical like this.
  3. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning Varuna,

Excellent point !

I've been hearing over and over about aluminum changing the human body's immune ( and other) system.

Of course, when the reports and stories reach the laity level, it distills down to "Aluminum causes Alzheimer's disease". Yet, there is something going on with the autopsies and the aluminum presence.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  4. Max rigger

Max rigger Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
  5. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good afternoon Max,

I agree with you that the cast iron stuff is just too heavy for most travel.

I also use stainless steel but also aluminum. The aluminum is mostly the 2 espresso posts I carry by truck and the smaller one only when in FLC mode (Feet, leather-covered).

Will glance at link later although will mention now that "hygenic" refers to the link's products. If "rivets" of some sort in a pan to attach handle, consider getting a model without them. In field conditions, the "hygiene" is mostly the user's cleaning of the pot/pan/ etc.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  6. Max rigger

Max rigger Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    Aluminium (aluminum to you ;)) is fantastic at spread heat so for camp pots they are ideal. Not great for frying as the metal can 'pit' and food sticks. I have a 20cm Tefal Omelette pan minus the handle (use a Trangia pot gripper) which is great for frying and a chapati pan (Tawa pan) with a folding handle, its steel and fries well. The Tawa pans are usually really cheap in your local larger Indian/Pakistani stores, worth looking at. Pan hygiene? if your cooking hot food they'll be no viruses/bacteria to worry about. To be honest I just make sure the cooking surfaces are kept really clean.