The Ant And The Grasshopper

Discussion in 'The Apocalypse' started by tominwash, Dec 4, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

Tags:
  1. tominwash

tominwash Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    There were a variety of life parables taught to children, pre political correctness that is. All designed to instill into a child the life lessons, we as a species have developed since we stood upright and gathered together into groups. The Boy Who Cried Wolf, as an example, teaching children the consequences of lying.

There were many more. All passed down orally and in different forms, some for tens of thousands of years. They were as important then to the formation and stability of society as they are today. Unfortunately, they are being ignored.

The Ant and the Grasshopper, actually a Cicada during it’s ancient Greek beginnings, was designed to teach industriness and consequences to children. The busy little ant spending it’s summer storing food while the lazy Grasshopper plays in the sun. Of course when the cold hungry Grasshopper knocks on the door of the Ant during the winter looking for food, he is told, and I paraphrase “go dance the winter away”.

This, of course, can not be taught today. The prevailing political climate tells children that if you have two of something and another has none, you must give him one. You must, or we will make you. The ant is greedy holding resources and should spend his time caring for grasshoppers who have been oppressed due to their love of playing in the summer sun. Just read the children’s book “Rainbow Fish” that is required reading these days.

This is a seed change in our society as a whole and is somewhat negated by the quiet, peaceful times we find ourselves in during this time of history.

All of this can change in an instant.

Be it a Pandemic, a financial collapse, or an EMP, our society at large is vulnerable to a simple lifeline of trucks. When the trucks stop, so does society and life as we know it.

This is a survival forum, we are all ants.

Being overwhelmed by grasshoppers occupies my thoughts as of late.

The nearest large city that I would have to deal with is the great city of Seattle. I am sure wherever you reside there is a similar collection of grasshoppers. The countryside is dotted with many small towns similar to my own. We all share the danger of the swarm of locusts, but most don’t realize it. Yet.

I doubt that there are more than 1% here in the United States able to feed themselves through a first harvest season. With the exception of Utah I should say. Based on the television ratings that I looked up and viewing of the various “survival” type television shows, I would say only another 3-5% of the country have more than a passing interest in preparing anything at all.

Out of a country of over 300 million that would put the number somewhere in the five million ballpark of fellow citizens that might have more than a week of food, basic medicine, and a few survival items laying around.

Five million can not stand against against 300 million. I don’t care how well armed you are. Or can they?

The 2nd law of thermodynamics applies here. Areas of high concentration will seek areas of low concentration. In this case the hoards of starving leaving the cities in all directions of the compass. Most likely on or about day ten. During the early days, most will still cling to the belief that some government will come and give them food. Leaving the familiar for the unknown is frightening and most all will wait too long.

Now for the crystal ball work.

Roads blocked, or EMP situation.

For the sake of argument, one million starving Seattle grasshoppers leaving on eight compass points would send roughly 100,000 in my direction. Considering by the time of the great city exodus most all would already be starving, I doubt many would be able to move more than ten miles a day. Half wouldn’t be able to continue after the first day.

Day two to three on the hundred mile track to my front door would half that number again as the stronger among the group begin to prey on their fellow travelers taking whatever power bars hidden at the bottom of the backpacks of the weak and elderly. 25,000 still marching. Thirty miles on foot.

Days 4-5 will see a breakdown of any formal marching group and smaller groups will take off into other compass points in desperation and fear of the group itself. Organized home defense groups along the way will begin picking them off to move them along. Half the group again. 12,000 still moving, fifty miles.

Days 6-8 will see fatigue take it’s tole. The swarm will resemble any death march in history at this point. Any backpacks, extra weight, will be discarded along the side of the road. It will be all any of them can do to move slowly forward. Five miles a day as their bodies begin eating their muscle mass. The heat of the summer or cold of the winter will begin to take nature’s due. Half the group again, 6,000 still walking, sixty miles.

Days 8-10 will see the end of any movement. Those that are able will begin seeking shelter of any form and individual survival a priority. Those too weak to move will be stripped of any remaining resources and perhaps a few hundred left, all fending for themselves. The first signs of cannibalism will begin. Some will band together into what we might consider raiding gangs, but easily dispatched by organized entrenched neighbors in the countryside.

Days 20-60 I wouldn’t expect to see more than a few bands of small groups try and enter my little town. Easily dispatch.

Of course the further away from a large city, the safer you will be from the exiting masses of the city. In my case, the greater danger is from the same 90% of the population of my little town that haven’t prepared as well.

But that is a different discussion.

Current estimations that 10-20% of the population surviving after the lights go out and the trucks stop, in my opinion, is overly optimistic.

Keith H. likes this.
  2. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Good post. There are so many variables in this sort of scenario it is difficult to say with any precision just how it might turn out. Your scenario is based on there being no vehicle transport. Most may not be prepared supplies wise, but what if they are prepared to leave the city via vehicles & head for the hills? People will indeed be dispersing in a variety of directions based on their experience of what they have seen in past travels, but it would only take one bus load of raiders to turn up on our doorstep to give us a hard time. We out of towners, off gridders & retreat owners can beat the odds if we have a plan in place & enough firepower. Making the changes to our present living conditions would not be practicle now, so if we plan to fortify our homes later, we will need to move fast when it all hits the fan.
    Keith.

3. tominwash

tominwash Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    Yes it is based on no vehicles available, re EMP. But then again, pretty much any other disaster is much more survivable, trucks will still run, food will be transported. Nukes, who cares we are all dead anyway.

4. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    There will still be bicycles & horses, not for all perhaps, but for some these will get them further than walking. The thing is I suppose we can only make an educated guess, we don't know for sure how things will go. I guess that is what forums like this are for, people like yourself posts a scenario & it helps others prepare just encase.
    Keith.

5. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Just so long as the grasshoppers end up screaming out to God to let the mountains fall upon them, I'll be happy. I want the self-assuredness of the arrogant to be burned.

Revelation 16King James Version (KJV)

And I heard a great voice out of the temple saying to the seven angels, Go your ways, and pour out the vials of the wrath of God upon the earth.

2 And the first went, and poured out his vial upon the earth; and there fell a noisome and grievous sore upon the men which had the mark of the beast, and upon them which worshipped his image.

3 And the second angel poured out his vial upon the sea; and it became as the blood of a dead man: and every living soul died in the sea.

4 And the third angel poured out his vial upon the rivers and fountains of waters; and they became blood.

5 And I heard the angel of the waters say, Thou art righteous, O Lord, which art, and wast, and shalt be, because thou hast judged thus.

6 For they have shed the blood of saints and prophets, and thou hast given them blood to drink; for they are worthy.

7 And I heard another out of the altar say, Even so, Lord God Almighty, true and righteous are thy judgments.

8 And the fourth angel poured out his vial upon the sun; and power was given unto him to scorch men with fire.

9 And men were scorched with great heat, and blasphemed the name of God, which hath power over these plagues: and they repented not to give him glory.

10 And the fifth angel poured out his vial upon the seat of the beast; and his kingdom was full of darkness; and they gnawed their tongues for pain,

11 And blasphemed the God of heaven because of their pains and their sores, and repented not of their deeds.

12 And the sixth angel poured out his vial upon the great river Euphrates; and the water thereof was dried up, that the way of the kings of the east might be prepared.

13 And I saw three unclean spirits like frogs come out of the mouth of the dragon, and out of the mouth of the beast, and out of the mouth of the false prophet.

14 For they are the spirits of devils, working miracles, which go forth unto the kings of the earth and of the whole world, to gather them to the battle of that great day of God Almighty.

15 Behold, I come as a thief. Blessed is he that watcheth, and keepeth his garments, lest he walk naked, and they see his shame.

16 And he gathered them together into a place called in the Hebrew tongue Armageddon.

17 And the seventh angel poured out his vial into the air; and there came a great voice out of the temple of heaven, from the throne, saying, It is done.

18 And there were voices, and thunders, and lightnings; and there was a great earthquake, such as was not since men were upon the earth, so mighty an earthquake, and so great.

19 And the great city was divided into three parts, and the cities of the nations fell: and great Babylon came in remembrance before God, to give unto her the cup of the wine of the fierceness of his wrath.

20 And every island fled away, and the mountains were not found.

21 And there fell upon men a great hail out of heaven, every stone about the weight of a talent: and men blasphemed God because of the plague of the hail; for the plague thereof was exceeding great.

6. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    I want the grasshoppers to experience a terror so beyond madness that their souls come apart. I want them to die smelling their flesh on fire. Malignancy has taken all the cities of my once-great country. Let these tumors be burnt. Let what's left be cut out.

7. tominwash

tominwash Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    None of the broken seals would even come close to matching the dismay upon their faces, the depth of horror deep within their chest as they stand frozen against the glass of their local darkened Starbucks. Only then to realize their lips will never touch a double frap low cal gluten free syrup flavored cup of coffee again.

Old Geezer likes this.
  8. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    When I was a kid Aesop's Fables and such were something that all kids heard a lot of. The little boy that cried wolf and such were basically offered to us as "life lessons". Every day when I brushed my hair I was looking at a poem taped to the mirror about the value of my Father's good name and my responsibility to keep it clean.

Now days all such nonsense is GONE. In our efforts to achieve "equality" we lowered all of our standards to the lowest common denominator. Let's be real, why in the world would a sane society not only allow creeps like gang bangers to walk around free but to some extent allow our children to idolize them???!!!

I remember when a man's given word and handshake was a done deal. Men that didn't keep their promises found that nobody would do business with them. My Dad went to the bank one time and borrowed an amout that was about equal to his annual income on a signature loan. The banker knew that if he said he would pay it back that it was written in stone. Now you have idiot athletes that refuse to honor a written contract because they want more money and a "NEW" contract. WHY would you bother doing a contract with them. It is obvious that they think that a contract is a "suggestion" about how things should be done.

In order to make all people "equal" that meant that we had to throw honor out the door so that the dishonorable wouldn't be penalized for their total lack of it. Respect had to be redefined. It used to be something that you EARNED. Now it is something that the lowest of the low demand just as their RIGHT.

Lying, stealing, foul language, teenage pregnancies, physical violence and even murder are now accepted as fine because if you don't accept it you are branded a racist. I know that the treatment of our black Americans was not right in the past. When I was young the schools that they went to were nowhere near as nice or effective as the ones I went to. That was WRONG. But making all the schools stop teaching so that we were all in the same boat was insanity and that is what they did. We were graduating kids from high school that couldn't READ because the failure rate among the black students was proof of racist policies. To make us all "equal" they stopped educating anyone.

Honestly as bad as it would be, I see and apocalypse as the only hope for our Western culture. We PAY the stupid and dishonorable to breed like rats while making so that the honorable can barely make a living and so only have 1 or 2 kids. In just a few more generations the average IQ is going to fall below a sustainable level and we will be crushed by the weight of our own stupidity. Only the oriental east is still breeding for success and they will in the end be able to just sit back and watch the West basically destroy itself.

Honor was a part of a massively successful survival system. In places where it was prevalent cultures grew and became powerful. Honor is a part of a system that encourages cooperation and trust within the system. Places where honor was meaningless never rose much above the family sized tribal cultures. Historically any culture that cast honor aside eventually collapsed from the inside out.

Democracy is based on the concept of honor. It makes it so that you can trust your elected officials to do what they promised when you elected them. How is THAT working out these days??? They lie and the LAUGH at us and don't even try to do the things that they promised! The most distressing thing is that people just accept it and then will vote for the same liars telling the same lies again 4 years later.

As a culture becomes decadent it falls apart and eventually is wiped out by a stronger most solid culture. THAT is just history.

9. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    TexDanm just released a little bit too much truth at one time. I think the world just might have felt a bit of an earthquake.

The hideous goings-on I see in this decadent world bring out the revival preacher in me. Honor and forthrightness are as important to a society as is the foundation is important to a tall building.

Matthew 7:24-27King James Version (KJV)

24 Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock:

25 And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell not: for it was founded upon a rock.

26 And every one that heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them not, shall be likened unto a foolish man, which built his house upon the sand:

27 And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.

10. tominwash

tominwash Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    There are a number of posters here from the far corners of the world. The image of the US is one of a horn of plenty. We have allowed other countries to pour their money into social programs instead of defense. Free health care, housing and food for all! A pill that costs a dollar in other countries costs $10 here.

The world has no clue just how broke we are now. Every city, county, and state government can't even afford to fix pot holes in the streets. Our homes are becoming unaffordable due to the taxes just to keep the bandaids on. The average household credit card dept is somewhere around $20k and over half the country couldn't cover a $500.00 emergency car repair in cash. Half the country.

Social Security alone won't allow someone to rent a room with a bathroom down the hall for most of the recipients. And it is getting worse every year. Military veterans die in hallways at VA hospitals waiting for care of service related injuries. You are punished if you try and put money into a retirement program. The well is dry and a reckoning is coming. Be it the finger of God itself, as Old Geezer opines, or the cold reality of market forces - the results will be the same.

In a few years our national debt will be so large, they say 25 trillion is the tipping point, that we will not be able to cover it and it will consume everything we collect in taxes. We are at 20 now and going up 1 trillion a year or so.

Asteroids, pandemics, war......mere annoyances compared to the destruction, killing and upheaval these government cheese eating parasites will cause the day they are told.....no work, no food.

Old Geezer likes this.