The best age to get your child his first gun?

Discussion in 'Guns' started by My3Sons_NJ, Jun 20, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

?

At what age did you obtain your first gun

1. age 11 or under

10 vote(s)
    40.0%
  2. 12 -13

5 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. 14 - 15

2 vote(s)
    8.0%
  4. 16 - 17

1 vote(s)
    4.0%
  5. 18 - 20

1 vote(s)
    4.0%
  6. 21+

6 vote(s)
    24.0%
  1. My3Sons_NJ

My3Sons_NJ New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    My son will be turning twelve soon and I was wondering what at what age should I purchase his first gun for him. A few caveats that must factor in my consideration are the fact that I live in a fairly anti-2nd amendment state and my family lives in a densely-populated area. I would be open to any and all suggestions.

jeager and Keith H. like this.
  2. Valerie

Valerie Active Member
      43/47

Blog Posts:
    I wouldn't give a twelve year old a gun unless you plan to take it away and hide it once they're done practicing with it. There is way, way too many dangers of someone inexperienced handling a firearm. A friend of mine died because kids decided to go out in the woods and play with their hunting rifles in a suburban town. Someone else shot their foot off when practicing quick draws. I have nothing against firearms, but I think a person should only get one when they are emotionally and mentally responsible enough to handle one. Only you can really judge that aspect in your son.

My father waited until I was 20 years old before handing me a .22 and teaching me how to aim and fire. Otherwise, he kept everything in a safe only he knew the combination to.

3. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    My father had a gun but we were not oriented into it. My father-in-law was a hunter and a target shooter so obviously he loved guns. My husband said that his father had oriented his older brothers when they had shown a sense of responsibility. My husband was taught how to handle a gun when he was a junior in high school. So it's not the age in years that matters much but the character and personality since knowing how to use a gun comes with great responsibility.

My husband's brother was also a junior in high school when he was caught by the school's security with the gun of his father. The brother brought the gun to school to brag. It was fortunate that the case was issued amicably. See the irresponsible attitude of the brother?

4. Endure

Endure Expert Member
      130/140

Blog Posts:
    5 to 10 years old kids can start their shooting experience with airsoft guns, a BB gun, or a pellet gun. Something with little to no concussion, impulse, or felt recoil. Although they may not meet the definition of a firearm, they definitely need to be stored in the real gun safe. Shooting any of these items should also include setting-up & taking-down a target with an adequate backstop. This is great time to start the discussion on safe range set-up, suitable targets, and to go in depth on rule four. You can really impart responsible ownership and handling skills with a BB gun if you put a little bit of effort into it. Marksmanship fundamentals are not easily acquired with air driven firearms so I don’t recommend spending a lot of time on it at this stage. This should be all about safety
    and responsible handling which are the critical foundation for accuracy.

5. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    The number doesn't matter. Do you think he is mature enough that you can give him a weapon (which, just for clarification, is a tool designed to kill living things) without him causing dangerous situations either by accident or on purpose? Are you 100% sure of this? Do you have someone with REAL knowledge about weapons that can teach him? Do you have a place where you can store it safely?

Doubletap45 likes this.
  6. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    Age 5 i got a 22

SgtB802 and ally79 like this.
  7. Tom Williams

330/345

Blog Posts:
    Both my son and daughter age 8 when they started marksmanship at the gun club they got winchester bolt actions the both still have these rifles age 12 they got shotguns to hunt with 13 they got deer rifles all guns are still owned by them

8. filmjunkie08

filmjunkie08 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    It totally depends on the child. How mature is the child? Does the child listen well? How responsible is the child? For example, my son has always been one to mature slowly compared to other children his same age. He would be one I probably would have to wait until his early teens for safety reasons.

Doubletap45 and Keith H. like this.
  9. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I agree with filmjunkie, it all depends on the child in question. I think I was about 9 years of age when I got my first air rifle in England. My own three sons learnt to shoot at about the same age with a .32 flintlock muzzle-loading rifle. All three were very sensible & responsible. They were able to play at an early age using toy guns that I had made for them, but they were also very trustworthy & responsible when it came to using a real gun.
    However, they were not allowed to use the rifle on their own, they were supervised by myself at all times when target shooting. Accidents happen, I have made mistakes myself so I am very aware of the dangers. I taught my sons so that they would have the knowledge & experience at an early age, so they would understand the dangers & learn responsibility. Two of my three sons still have an interest in guns, one more than the other. My eldest boy ( all three grown up with families now) has no interest in guns at all.

For me it was important that they learnt about guns by using a flintlock muzzle-loader, because it requires more skill & attention & they learnt far more this way. Modern firearms in my opinion are just too easy to use, you place the shiny bullet in the breach, close the action, aim, fire. Takes no time at all to learn & in my opinion it does not teach the finer points of what a firearm is all about & what it is capable of.
    Keith.
    [​IMG]
    My eldest son in the forest with the flintlock rifle. I still have this rifle.
    [​IMG]
    This rifle was made especially for my sons to learn with. They needed a forked shooting stick to take the weight when they first started shooting despite its shorter length. There is more weight in the barrel of a muzzle-loading rifle than there is in a breach-loading rifle.

10. neoKit

neoKit New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    Nobody should own a gun unless they are 21years old and above. Why buy a gun for your kid instead of buying them toys? If you have seen what is lately happening in the US then you will not wish that children should carry guns. Guns should be strictly for law enforcing officers if we want to avoid mass shootings. I think that you are living in a safe environment and your life is not threatened.

11. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Own, perhaps not. I think if you are able to join the forces & go to war & get killed, then you are old enough to own a gun!!! The whole point in teaching kids about guns is so that IF they ever get a chance to use one, then at least they know how to handle it safely.
    As far as the law looking after us & us not needing to defend ourselves, well sorry, but that is NOT the real world, that is fantasy, & having seen our police officers using firearms, I would sooner trust a trained sensible responsible kid.
    Law abiding licensed gun owners are NOT the problem, we are NOT criminals, & as long as ignorant people & the government continue to blame law abiding gun owners for the continuing crime, then crime will never be controlled.
    Keith.

PriscillaKing likes this.
  12. ally79

ally79 Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    We got our son his first bolt action .22 when he turned 5 this year and he is a crack shot! He got his first BB gun at age 3 and that is when we started teaching him gun safety. He is allowed to keep the gun in his room with the bolt removed so it is not operational.

Keith H. likes this.
  13. CivilDefense

CivilDefense Expert Member
      235/345

Blog Posts:
    Good question. This is, quite literally, a topic I've been mulling about as I have two small children who I plan to train up.

Personally, I was given a Daisy Red Ryder BB gun at the age of 5 and drilled in such topics as safety, marksmenship, et al. I then shot a number of different arms owned by my father (e.g., his service pistol) or brothers (e.g., shotguns, hunting rifle). I finally received my own "real" gun of a .22LR rifle at the age of 13. And from there, the collection has expanded, eh-hem, greatly.

Anyway, I think I will follow a similar pattern, though my kids will get more formal training via the NRA and the Future Farmers of America. I also have a .410-bore shotgun set aside for both kids; a bolt-action for my daughter and a SxS for my son.

14. Karen Martin

Karen Martin New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    I think 21 and up is the best age to have possession of a gun, because you are a legal adult at that point and anything you do or gain as survival tips would be in the judgement of you! Your judgements on handling a gun at the age of 21 would be more of a wiser decision in using as well, instead of using it for the wrong reasons!

15. Doubletap45

Doubletap45 New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    I agree with the others who say "When the kid is mature enough" they should be taught Gun Safety, Gun Handling and Marksmanship. This can be done at an earlier age than a kid should have access to a gun. You know your kids and there is no set age that teaching or possession of a firearm can be set. It's different with every kid and family.
    The one thing that many don't realize is that a kid who has learned gun safety is far less likely to pick up a found gun and just pull the trigger. While you may keep your firearms under control at your home, others may not. A kid who has learned gun safety is far less likely to have a gun accident. It's the one's who know nothing about firearms who are curious that have the accidents.

Keith H. likes this.
  16. SgtB802

SgtB802 New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    START EARLY TEACHING SAFETY!!!!! Now when do u actually give it to them goes to there mentality I was started young I had a 22 and a 410 before I was 5 but was not allowed to use them unsupervised till I was 10-11 my son had guns before he was even born his grandpa had him a deer rifle and I bought his first 22 for his first Christmas my son was taught from early on safety. I spent years as a armed law officer and always had my duty weapons readily available as I worked small town america and was on call as much as I was on duty. When he was able to shoot his 22 fro. The bench we started firearm safety at 8 he took his first Deer with black powder he now spends more time outdoors hunting fishing and don't look like a zombie zoned out on a phone. Now is all kids ready at 8 to kill an animal nope but it depends on your culture my son grew up with it we butcher our own meat and process it right here on the farm but waiting till they are 18-21 they are loosing valuable years to learn techinique and motor function in shooting as shooting is 95% mental 5% action.

jeager and Keith H. like this.
  17. Tom Williams

330/345

Blog Posts:
    City folks have no idea how important. A firearm is on a farm if a farm can not produce a surplus of crops there isnt going to be food in the store for them to eat its that simple peole if we dont grow their not going to eat control of wildlife on a farm is a must so youngsters are showed how to handle a firearm at a early age

18. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    We have mixed opinions here. I think the better question would have been "At what age should a person be taught how to handle a gun safely"?
    Keith.

jeager likes this.
  19. NKAWTG

NKAWTG Well-Known Member
      85/115

Blog Posts:
    You can't really pigeon hole it. It depends on the child's emotional development and level of discipline. My nine y/o grandson for instance may not be ready till he's 11 or 12.

Keith H. likes this.
  20. sarky

sarky Expert Member
      133/173

Blog Posts:
    Neo Kit, you should never own a gun until you learn some history and understand what a police state is. Also define for me a safe area? Life is not safe! Not to get in your face on this, but having deployed to 43+ countries despotism is no joke. To paraphrase Eowyn " just because you don't like guns, doesn't mean you won't be killed by one" Firearms are just a tool and like any tool, they can be misused. Go do a little homework and go to the CDC web site and look up causes of death. I think you will be shocked by how many people are killed by hammers and screwdrivers.
    Knowledge is power

21. jeager

jeager Master Survivalist
      272/345

Blog Posts:
    I started my youngest son at age 5 or 6 with air soft, teaching SAFETY FIRST!
    Then as he grew and demonstrated safety, he went to air guns, then pellet rifles, shortly after that
    .22 rifle.
    Eye and ear protection are paramount! Right behind safety.
    He's now a 6', handsome, 17 year old and proficient with center fire pistols, revolvers, and rifles
    including my A.R.'s.
    Sadly his momma is an anti-gun, liberal snowflake that remarried another snowflake.
    She's in the U.A.W., works for G.M. thus Liberal don'cha'know.
    As nears as I can tell neither snowflake tries to influences him away from hunting,
    ans shooting with poppa.
    Last year he took a wild bore in Florida with me.

22. PriscillaKing

PriscillaKing Expert Member
      133/173

Blog Posts:
    I was ordered to carry a pistol loaded with gas pellets at 18, but didn't start target shooting with "real" guns before age 25. This was for the best since it turns out that I have astigmatism--good vision at any distance, but it takes me longer than most people to switch focus between different distances--and shooting a gun, driving a car, and catching a ball are three things people with astigmatism don't do well. So my contribution to this thread would be that it depends on a child's vision as well as responsibility (and how "responsible" the kid would be if someone stole his/her weapon).

(I'm told it's possible to correct astigmatism to some extent with special glasses, but the glasses take some getting used to, aren't cheap, and may even reduce visual acuity...I do not look forward to getting my first pair.)

Keith H. likes this.
  23. PriscillaKing

133/173

Blog Posts:
    Good for you for remembering ear protection! Dad always blamed his hearing loss on the Army.

24. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    But not practical to wear ear protection when hunting, & in places with dangerous wildlife, definitely not safe!
    Keith.

25. jeager

272/345

Blog Posts:
    I blame my hearing loss from police work.
    People kept shooting at me!
    Up close and personal.
    I grabbed one gun a split second before he shot me in the face!
    Gun went boom right by my left ear.
    .38 special snub nose.
    Powder burned my hand good too!
    Then I beat his azzzzzzz.
    And I'm a nice, peaceful, gentle type.
    We trained a lot at OPOTA in London, Ohio indoor range all
    concrete black walls.
    The nose of 12 bore riot guns and sometimes sub machine guns was horrendous.
    Even with mandatory ear muffs and plugs.
    Coffee would vibrate out of a cup!
    Then there was 4 years in a automotive stamping plant.
    Really loud.
    "Huh? whad'did 'e say?"

26. jeager

272/345

Blog Posts:
    I DO wear electronic muffs when hunting with anything louder than a .22 r.f. rifle.
    In Ohio hunting is in cold weather so the muffs keep ears warm and shut down
    when a shot is fired.
    Well worth the trouble and investment.

27. PriscillaKing

133/173

Blog Posts:
    Electronic ear muffs? Wow...

28. jeager

272/345

Blog Posts:
  29. jeager

272/345

Blog Posts:
    Electronic muffs enable the shooter to hear normal sounds, even amplify
    normal sounds but cut off at anything above dangerous levels.
    My boys use then when shooting, I wear them even hunting.
    I need to save what's left of my hearing.
    I started trap and skeet shooting at 16 and thought the "older guys"
    just lost hearing from being older guys.
    Older, like 35.
    Huh?
    We know better today and electronic muffs are great.
    There are even some ear plugs that protect hearing but allow normal
    sounds.
    I even wear plugs when shooting a .22 pistol.
    .22 rifle not so much but even that can damage hearing.

30. jeager

272/345

Blog Posts:
    As an aside everyone is different.
    Dad was a tank driver/gunner and didn't suffer hearing loss.
    My former father in law was a ball turret gunner on a B-17 during WWII
    and was deaf as a post.
    Ball turret gunner used a twin .50 caliber machine gun.
    He was shot down on is 25th and last mission.
    7 months a p.o.w.
    Crew of 10, 3 got out.
    Dad was in 5 tanks destroyed and 2 X the only survivor.
    Both veterans were heavy drinkers.
    Wonder why.
    Dad even talked of machine gunning children.
    German S.S. wired them with explosives to destroy Americans while
    begging food.
    The German S.S. were fanatics.
    My friend Manfred Klee was Hitler Youth and killing French troops 6 months
    after the war ended.
    He got shot by the French.
    After the war he was adopted and raised by French Jews.
    Go figger.

31. WildSpirit

WildSpirit Active Member
      48/58

Blog Posts:
    I read that question right? Child and guns? This seems to me something surreal... Oh my! :rolleyes:

Well, I don't think this should be allowed before age 21 (and I'm pretty radical about that thinking). In fact, I think that even after the age of 21 the process for acquiring a gun should be extremely strict. ;)

32. jeager

272/345

Blog Posts:
    It IS extremely strict.
    Where do you live?
    In the U.S. a form 4473 must be completed, a back ground N.C.I.C. check
    and if lying on the 4473 it gets you TEN YEARS in a Federal iron hotel
    + a 10,000.00 fine.
    Commit a crime with a firearm and you serve time for the crime PLUS 3 years
    for using a firearm.
    In Ohio it's + 4 years.
    AND loss of gun rights and any guns already owned.
    What planet have you been living on?
    Honest people that buy guns according to the existing laws rarely commit crimes
    with guns.
    Guns obtained ILLEGALLY are most often used in the commission of crimes.

Many places a PERMIT for the purchase of a handgun must be obtained from
    the local police department prior to purchase.
    A records check must be done prior to issuing the permit.
    THEN the Federal 4473 form completed.
    Ask me how I know.
    I was responsible for issuing those permits.
    Didja think a potential buyer could get one from the local grocery store????

A year later one handgun ended up at an assassination in Ireland.
    Outlaws get guns by any means.
    In New York City they kill cops to steal duty weapons.
    Detroit and Chicago as well as other crime ridden cities.
    Guns exist therefore there will be ways to get guns by any means.
    Look at how many laws we have against hard drugs yet TONS of cocaine and
    heroin come into the country.
    ALL countries for that matter.
    Heroin is epidemic where I live and no permit required. :>)
    If you know anything at all about modern American history look what was created
    with the Volstead Act.
    Snowflakes won't have a clue however.
    I'm often downright shocked how little people really know before posting idiocy.
    Opinions are like azzholes and too many are very willing to show that orifice.

I seldom if EVER post anything I can't back up with facts.

I earned my degrees with honors by hard work and a near Mensa level
    I.Q.
    In a war of wits most others are unarmed.
    Wanna play?

Just sayin'.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2017
  33. TENNGRIZZ

TENNGRIZZ Expert Member
      148/173

Blog Posts:
    I had my own 22 at age 5 , direct supervised hunting and practice till age 8, 9 -11 could go out by myself only,11 on up on my own 100% no supervision rifle in gun rack above my bed shells on dresser. All my Dads and GrandDads guns where always loaded as well. Raised my children this way as well and they are all over 25. Society coddles their children and that is why we have snowflakes that just need some discipline. You do not wait till a dog is a 2 yo until you decide to house break it. imho, Think about this If Rome treated their children the way we do the barbarians would have laughed at their Legions. If Daniel and Rebecca Boone had been coddled by their parents or for that matter the entire American Founding Fathers generation had been coddled by their parents the United States of America would not be here. spare the rod spoil the child those words from the Good Book work every time. S/FI

34. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Some children may be ready to learn about guns when they are 5 years of age, some a little later. I got my first air rifle at about the age of 7, but I dearly wish that my Father had spent more time with me teaching me not only how to shoot, but teaching me gun safety & telling me WHERE I was allowed to shoot, & WHAT I was allowed to shoot. A parent should not expect a child to work these things out for themselves, & I was very strict with my own children when it came to teaching them.
    Keith.

35. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I started hunting when I was about 8 and got my first gun at about that time. My Daughter started shooting at about 4 or 5. Guns are just a part of life here and still are. Despite all the hoopla I have never known anyone that had a child harmed with their gun. You TEACH them how to handle it safely and use it in a safe manner. I got my first pocket knife at 7 and never cut anyone up with it either.

If you don't have the time to teach your child how to live and act in a safe manner you shouldn't have had kids. Kids need to learn to look both ways before they step out in a street. Kids need to learn how to avoid getting burned in or by a fire. Instead of trying to keep a kid safe by keeping them away from anything dangerous you need to teach them how to be safe around all sorts of dangerous things guns included.

When I hear of a kid that shoots themselves or a friend I know that that was a kid that had never been taught. If you aren't going to teach your kid about guns then you need to not have any guns around them and don't let them go to anyone's house that has guns.

Guns don't scare me nor many people that live here. It is nothing to see someone in a store with a gun on. Actually it makes me feel safe because even if I don't have mine on and with me I know that if some crazy or evil person starts shooting or stabbing folks they aren't going to last long.

Ystranc likes this.
  36. Ystranc

Ystranc Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    I can't give you an ideal age for your son's first gun because I've never met him. Some kids seem to grow up quicker then others so my answer is in the form of a question. Would you totally trust him with a gun? As soon as the answer to that question is yes, you could get him something appropriate to his build and teach him to use it safely

37. Photon Guy

Photon Guy Expert Member
      160/173

Blog Posts:
    There is no set age when a child should or shouldn't get a gun. It varies from child to child. I've heard of some children getting guns when they're younger than 12 and there was no problem with it, and I've known of people who are 40 plus who shouldn't be trusted with guns. So the question isn't if your child is old enough, the question is if your child is ready. I do know that for me, when I was 12 I wasn't ready for a gun but maybe your child is. Like I said, it varies from person to person. Some people are ready at a very young age and some people are never ready. And then there are lots of people in between.

Ystranc likes this.
  38. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member
      11/29

Blog Posts:
    Not sure what you mean buy anti-Second Amendment state. In New York for instance, the right to bear arms is considered a civil right (New York Civil Rights Law article II, section 4).

Get him an air rifle. He can use it for target practice and hunting small prey.

39. poltiregist

poltiregist Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    I started my daughter off hunting deer with an M1 Carbine at about 9 years old . She still hunts "A LOT " she is considering passing that same M1 down to her 9 year old to hunt with next Saturday . Her 3 year old son was in a box stand last week with his toy crossbow siting beside his mom when she killed a deer with her crossbow . The 3 year old was really mad when I wouldn't take him bear hunting with me near the Yellowstone last month . Already letting the 3 year old shoot a 22 rifle under close supervison .

40. Ystranc

Ystranc Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    I was probably about 5 the first time I used a .22lr closely supervised by my Dad who was a police firearms officer at the time. It took a lot longer for me to buy my own, in the UK it's very different to the US.

41. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    My daughter was raised in a home that was full of guns. I was always working on or cleaning a gun for somebody. Because of that she HAD to be educated about guns and actually started shooting at a VERY young age...somewhere around 4 or 5 years old. My grand daughter has just turned 8 and is just now at the point where I am going to start teaching her to shoot. It is all a matter of maturity and how many times you have to tell them something before they DO it. When it comes to guns when you tell then to do or not to do something if their response is WHY?? while they either don't do what you told them or don't do what you told them to do they aren't old enough.

I used to do some instructing and have indeed told people that they shouldn't have a gun until they learn to LISTEN. The second time they point a loaded gun at me we are done! I was teaching at an outdoor range that had covered shooting stands. I had one idiot shoot a hole in the roof because he refused to keep his danm finger out of the trigger guard until he was aimed down range AT the target. Even then the poor retarded idiot couldn't understand why I was so pissed off.

Guns are not for people that can't focus and stay focused. It isn't for people that tend towards uncontrolled emotional outbursts whether it is panic, fear or anger. Honestly while I am a strong supporter of the Second amendment right to keep and bear arms I also think that there should always be responsibilities tied to any right including this one. I would have no problem with a required testing before someone was allowed to buy and carry guns unsupervised. Once you get your license the government needs to butt out. If you commit a crime or do something that brings your conduct or judgement into question it gets taken away. It should be a felony to sell a gun to anyone either public or private that had no license.

It isn't about age...

42. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    There's not an age. There is a maturity level. That maturity level is the call of a wise parent.

And yes, when you do give them a firearm, it is kept in your gun safe. So, maybe your kid is mature enough to keep & maintain the firearm -- what about when your kid's friends come over?! Many kids today are seriously damaged goods. The family structure has broken down, therefore society itself is coming apart. Take the latter into consideration.

lalakai and TMT Tactical like this.
  43. anniew

anniew Member
      18/29

Blog Posts:
    The questioner's name includes NJ, so if you live there, your first questions should be, "How soon can I move to another state?" Then address the question about when you should get your child's first gun.

TMT Tactical and Sourdough like this.
  44. Sourdough

Sourdough "eleutheromaniac"
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    anniew.......Good point, they also said they live in a massive metropolitan city with billions of humans.
    I was 9 y/o when I purchased my first firearm with my money from my newspaper route. We lived on a farm in rural PA. it was a large farm of 26,000 acres. We had no ownership, my dad worked there.

I soon embarked on my life of constant firearm purchases. By my tenth birthday I had purchased three firearms. I would buy firearms from companies through the mail, and the mailman would deliver them. If it was a rifle or shotgun, the mailman would lean the box against the mailbox. We could see the mailbox, it was only a quarter mile away.

Back then we took our guns to school, and put them in the coat closet with our lunch box or lunch bag. Was a classic red schoolhouse. One teacher taught first and second grade in one room on the first floor. And another teacher taught third and fourth on the second floor. I have always figured there was un-appreciated value in that system, because third grade got to overhear the teacher teaching to the fourth grade children. The fourth grade boys got to burn the trash for the school in the burn barrel, if you were a good boy, and did not talk in class.

The reason we took our guns to school was so we could hunt for food on the walk home. Strange it was totally un-imagined that anyone would hurt other students with firearms. After all........firearms were for hunting.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  45. Snyper

Snyper Master Survivalist
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    It's not an N.C.I.C. (National Crime Information Center) check.

It's a NICS (National Instant Check System) check

NCIC is totally different.

"Mensa IQ" doesn't replace proof reading and accuracy.

I can barely remember a time when I didn't have a gun of some sort, and the OP is 3 years old.

46. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    When they are big enough to hold a firearm. If you have firearms and they are big enough to hold them, then they need to learn gun safety and having their own gun provides the incentive to learn gun safety. JMHO

Ystranc likes this.
  47. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Chronological age and maturity age are two separate entities.

When the self-discipline begins kicking-in, then consider allowing that discipline to have a mechanism of exercise.

Entering adolescence is often this portal. I've seen the chronologically older and younger cross this Rubicon.

TMT Tactical likes this.