The Best Survival Retreat?

Discussion in 'General Q&A' started by John Snort, Jul 8, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. John Snort

John Snort Well-Known Member
      92/93

Blog Posts:
    I've heard it said that the best survival retreat should be able to withstand ANY cataclysmic event.

Not too long ago I saw some article which claimed that a Georgia nuclear bunker was being sold for $17M. Not the kind of money most preppers would have but I don't know if this is the sort of survival retreat that would keep you safe from most cataclysmic events except for when an asteroid or some other heavenly body collides with the earth.

Do you think it's possible for the average prepper to build or find themselves a survival retreat that can withstand any cataclysmic event?

Keith H. likes this.
  2. lonewolf

lonewolf Legendary Survivalist Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    not ALL events, no I don't.

Keith H. likes this.
  3. John Snort

John Snort Well-Known Member
      92/93

Blog Posts:
    what of most?

Like say there could be some retreat or bunker that could withstand a nuclear exchange, global pandemic and maybe an earthquake? But it wouldn't of course protect you against climate change, other natural disasters or economic collapse.

I'm starting to think these bunkers are only good for you in case of nuclear war . . .

4. lonewolf

lonewolf Legendary Survivalist Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    yes, I think bunkers are only useful in the event of nuclear war, other than that I want to be above ground so I can see what is going on both locally and in the distance, we cant do that if we are below ground.

Keith H. likes this.
  5. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I think that you can get bunkers for bushfire protection & cyclones. For natural disasters I think they are a good idea, but they are expensive. I think that most people these days are flat out trying to afford a block of land, let alone start paying for bunkers & other special equipment. Bunkers in any other survival event can be dangerous to live in, you don't want to be trapped or caught in a bunker! Saving for a piece of land out bush is very worthwhile & should be a major priority. The council rates are a rip off, no doubt about it, but paying rates is less than paying rent in town or city.
    Having your own land gives you the opportunity to become self-reliant & self-sufficient, especially if there is a serious shtf situation. You can grow your own food on a small block of land, on anything that is 50 acres upward you will be able to hunt your own meat. If you can purchase a forest as we did then you will have timber for firewood & construction. Forested land or uncleared land is sometimes less expensive to purchase because it is not classed as good for farming.
    Keith.
    [​IMG]

Prairie Dog likes this.
  6. Prairie Dog

Prairie Dog Expert Member
      155/173

Blog Posts:
    There are some things you can do on your land to improve survivability of large scale ugly. One I am investigating that is within my financial possibilities is to purchace sea-cans, configure in a "U" shape and slope dirtbag construction, then bury them in to form a hill. Dirt will absorb a lot of impact, insulate from fire (or cold as my climate dictates) and prevent a lot of direct contamination in many forms. It is not a complete solution, but the start to a more complete one.
    PD

Keith H. likes this.
  7. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    I can't say that I fully understand what you mean, but as you imply, doing something is better than doing nothing. We have not bothered with a fire shelter, because the main house is fireproof, & we are widening the fire breaks around both houses. IF a survival situation necessitated protection from raiders, then we plan to construct a palisade around both houses & garden areas.
    Keith.

Prairie Dog likes this.
  8. Prairie Dog

Prairie Dog Expert Member
      155/173

Blog Posts:
    I found a natural depression in the ground on my property, I am going to put sea-cans (international shipping containers) around that depression. Fill bags with dirt and stack them around the cans to build up the exterior walls, then cover the wall height with dirt. This will provide a great deal of insulation and impact absorption (hoping that doesn't actually come into play). Playing with different roofing systems that are not cost prohibitive. If I can cover the structure with dirt, the entire structure would function even better. In your environment, it would provide a great deal of insulation from the heat, in Canada, we have 6 months of winter, bitter winter, I need to add insulation from the cold.

Keith H. likes this.
  9. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Okay, now I understand. Sounds like a worthy project. Two of my sons have been tinkering with ideas based on using shipping containers.
    Keith.

Prairie Dog likes this.
  10. James98

James98 Well-Known Member
      80/115

Blog Posts:
    survival retreats are purpose built for a specific disaster in mind, the more general it becomes the less effective it becomes in any one thing. kind of like a cheap multitool, it will have a knife to cut but it won't be the best knife.
    generally speaking I would say a hard to reach secluted cabin would be the best preppers retreat because it is far enough away from other people to protect you from disease, you can do what you want on the property to prepare without the knowledge of others, and instead of sitting in a bunker the protection comes from the inaccessibility meaning that you would be more comfortable moving around and not go crazy by sitting in a dark room for extended periods of time. in addition if it were to be a WW3 type event and your country were to be invaded the invading country would focus its attention on controlling the large populous areas such as bis cities and not "the crazy person in a shack in the woods" You could have a very large amount of food and preps stored and available. in addition to this the farther away from everything and the less accessible the cheaper the land meaning that you probably won't have to pay a lot for your retreat.
    another advantage is that you could have a larger amount of land meaning that you could grow your own food.

I would say that this would be the best option for a general preparedness plan because it covers lots of bases and could sustain a group of people for a prolonged period of time

11. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    I agree that having a retreat far away from town & city is a good idea, but not if one is living there now & having to travel to work each day. The same goes for roads. Unmarked dirt roads are good, though you will need a 4WD just in case. But travelling these roads every day can be a problem. We were 10 years in the Territory, off grid after Cyclone Tracey hit. In the wet season we could be totally stranded,cut off. Travelling to the city was arduous to say the least. Personally I did not mind, but for the wife I would have preferred an easier passage.
    Now we are in New England, & again off grid on dirt roads. Not so hard here, but we can still get cut off. Just bought a new Toyota Hilux ute with a canape to cut down the chances of getting bogged. At our age we would not want to be doing this travel from a more remote situation with a longer drive & ungraded dirt roads. We have been off grid for over 40 years now, & it has & does give us certain advantages. We are already set up with everything we need & we are well used to this lifestyle. We lived for over 20 years without any electricity at all, & that will hold us in good stead should our solar power fail us in future years.
    Keith.

12. James98

James98 Well-Known Member
      80/115

Blog Posts:
    The point of having a retreat is not to live there full time but to have a place you can go if SHTF and to get away from it all similar to a cabin up at the lake. the advantage of it being so remote is so that it is hard to get to which means that people will leave you alone when you are up there as well as no one wants the land making it more affordable to own
    I know that around where i live (within 2 hours drive) you can buy land that is sub $1000/acre . this property will have no utilities or road access but if you have some time you are still able to build on it and no one else will be getting to it without knowing about it when SHTF

Prairie Dog likes this.